New Speaker Day - Transforming a Practice Amp

BackwaterJunction

Tele-Meister
I've had a Marshall Reverb 12 for a good few years now - my first ever amp. Bought for £70 new, probably a decade ago, because I wanted Rock tones as a cash strapped kid. Something about it, I'd always loved but never gelled with. I'd recently been considering selling it but decided to try a speaker swap before I did so.

What a different!

The WGS Green Beret is I think meant to be greenback style, and I got mine new for £79 (more than I paid for the amp!). It's much heavier than the original Celestion G10-25D that was originally installed, and after a few mins of the swapping process, I'm incredibly happy.

The Green Beret gives so much more depth to the lows and clarity to the highs. The amp feels so much bigger in the room than it did previously; it sounds like a really serious usable amp. It's not really loud enough for a gig unless it's mic'd, but it's an incredible amp for practice. I've not tried recording it but I bet it sounds great for that too.

It's a serious rockin' amp for such a small price, I fully recommend.

Attachments

• IMG-20221107-WA0044.jpeg
    IMG-20221107-WA0044.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221111_213449.jpg
    IMG_20221111_213449.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 17

Tele-Afflicted
I went through a phase where I tried all the variations of the Marshall 12... Lead, Reverb, Bass and even Keys. My favourite was the Reverb. As an experiment, I cut another baffle and fitted in a spare 12" Laney (can't remember the exact model.) Definitely sounded bigger/louder and very useable.👍