1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Speaker Day: 10A125, and first impressions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Mar 14, 2021.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

As I shared here recently, the beloved ALK1028 in my 6G2 developed a fatal speaker buzz -- at least, fatal at my house, since I couldn't cure it by checking all external bits and by minor surgery. But luckily in researching Ted Weber's buzz fixes, I noted where, back then, he mentioned in passing that he'd suggest a 10A125 for a 6G2. To tell the truth, that was probably the speaker I'd have put in if I'd never started to overthink the issue. After all, I love the 12A125a in my 5E3. But no, I went on a speaker hunt walkabout, one that only ended happily when I found the ALK.

So yesterday my new 10A125 showed up, with factory break-in, custom made for me, 30W, light dope, and in honor of the ALK, blue basket. Something old, something new, something borrowed...

What could be more meaningless than a picture of a speaker? Well, how about a picture of the part that doesn't make the sound?

IMG_6697.JPG

Early impressions: This is a great 10" speaker. I can't do much better right now, after just a few hours playing, than agree with Weber's description: "Bright, punchy, later/smooth breakup, aggressive, articulate, compressed/fattened at high volume. The favorite for late 50’s tweed amps such as Super, Bandmaster, Bassman, etc." Smooth breakup: very. Compresses and fattens: beautifully. Bright, but that's why we have tone knobs, and it handles bass very very well, so turning down the guitar tone or hitting the neck pup is not an issue. Yes, it's loud-ish, but it sounds great at jazz/blues volume levels, too.

I mention all this mostly because I don't recall seeing this speaker reviewed here. If you're in the market for a 10" alnico that can do vintage Fender, this one deserves consideration.

robrob, gabasa, theprofessor and 4 others like this.
  2. King Fan

Nearly as meaningless as a speaker photo? How about a simple phone video sound sample? I tried to play something with maximum potential for finger noise and fingernail transients, some bass and some treble, some individual notes and some double stops. Strat pos'n 2, vol 9, straight in, amp V&T both at noon.

3. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I vote for articulate!

King Fan likes this.
  4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

...some “black” in blue! ;)

King Fan likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's a beautiful match for that amp. Very toneful. I don't care what anyone says, I can smell alnico.....

King Fan likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

King Fan, robrob and theprofessor like this.
  7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a pair of them in my '62 brown Super. It sounded really good with the reissue Jensen P10Rs that were in it when I bought it, but the Weber 10A125s sound fantastic in it. They aren't quiet speakers like one may assume being as they have the smaller voice coil than the 10F150 variations I've used in my Princetons.

King Fan and theprofessor like this.
  8. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Great review! Thanks so much for sharing your impressions! I really like speakers, and there can't be too many good descriptions. Well, there probably can, but I value yours!

King Fan likes this.
  9. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

That sounds great and a lot like my tweed Harvard, which also had a new 10A125 installed last week.
    Minus the trem circuit, they're almost the same amp, so I feel like I know how much you're enjoying your new speaker!

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Right. 125 means a 1.25" VC, 150 a 1.50" VC.

Edit: I know you know that, but others may not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Paul-T, King Fan and robrob like this.
  11. King Fan

Gentlemen, here's a guy who *knows* speakers; milocj helped me out when I was just getting started. Very good point. I think the 10A125 may get kinda lost somewhere next to the famous 12A125a and the massive ceramic 12F150 and its 10" brother, the 10F150. The F150 brothers are some of the biggest, boldest speakers ever made without shiny dust covers; look out Pratt & Whitney. Even with the 1.25" voice coil, here's Weber's description of the 10F125 (emphasis added): "Bright, later/smooth breakup, aggressive, articulate, loud, very loud."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  12. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

You guys in the US are SO lucky to have such a broad choice of speakers, Weber especially, at such a good price.

My Weber 8A100T cost me €120, getting on for $150, although admittedly I was happy with the s/h 10" Jensen alnicos I picked up for $30 recently. The price difference between the Weber vox-style speaker and a UK-made Celestion alnico is unreal. I do hope Weber keep in production forever.

King Fan likes this.
  13. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

My favorite vintage type 10" speaker by far. It works great in a lot of different amps.

King Fan likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

As long as Kokomo, Indiana exists, Weber will likely be there. When I lived in Indianapolis, Indiana I ordered a Weber speaker, but I still regret not making the half-hour drive to pick it up at Weber. The speaker was relatively inexpensive and the shipping cost would have been the gas money.

Paul-T and King Fan like this.
  15. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

I’m fully on board with the value of these speakers and don’t understand how people could feel they are too expensive for what you’re getting.
    I built a beefier 5e3 with a Jensen C12Q and later swapped in a Weber 12A125, not the “A” version that so many folks love, and man what a difference. Well worth the small amount of extra money.
    Why spend tons of cash rolling bunches of speakers when you could drop in one of these once and call it good?

Paul-T and King Fan like this.
  16. King Fan

Weber speakers are great. I hope they’re around forever. But having recently seen another midwestern monument, ClassicTone, crumble into dust, I’m into making sure I spread the word. These companies seem big and stable to us in our little fishbowl, but in a world where hedge funds and holding companies buy and sell Budweiser Brands or Cadbury Co. like they were trading cards, their existence is miraculous — and tenuous.

Also, I don’t say Buy American out of chauvinism, but it’s really nice to have a speaker made to order, broken in, and shipped UPS ground to my house in under two weeks. Plus Weber's personal speaker advice is superb.

So i say if you like a small music-products shop, tell people.

Paul-T likes this.
  17. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My favorite speaker for vintage fender-style amps. In my 5F6A I have tried 10F150's, vet10's, CTC10's, Signature10A-S's and 10A125's...
    They are all good at what they do, but for that amp, the 10A125's win hands down. "Smooth breakup and compression" is right.

Muzzy and King Fan like this.
  18. King Fan

Update; spent a lot of time last night playing the 335 in 'woman tone' mode -- both tone knobs zeroed, switch mid, neck V10, bridge V5. That setup with HBs is a great way to get distortion and drive at listenable levels, but is also a test of bass handling and speaker balance; in this case, passed with flying colors.

So today I grabbed my M:F speaker extension cable and plugged in the PR.

IMG_6708.JPG

Yes. Articulate is the word. Very present. Very full, sweet but honest voice. Louder than the vintage speaker in there, plus the very clear, distinct voicing of treble and bass emphasizes the scoop. But the smooth compression *really* suits the PR, and the extra volume might please folks who find their PR doesn't project, or keep up with the noise in the pub after the football game.... I can see why you run a 10F150 in a PR, @milocj . Who needs a 12? :)

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.