New song I did for a member from my Church

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I posted this in the recording forum but I wanted to tell the full story on here. If anyone is interested. But it's a huge praise to God.

So.... as some of you know last year we changed churches. We had been going to a church for 13 years but the new, young pastor at that church and I had some pretty significant theological disagreements and I felt it was time to move on. And my wife was in agreement so we searched a bit and found one we thought would be good.

So the 2nd Sunday we attended, a big limb from one of our trees had fallen and was actually still sitting on our roof propped up. It fell AS we were getting ready for church. Up here in Wisconsin there is some bug called an Emerald Ash borer wreaking havoc and killing ash trees by the droves. I've seen many houses in our area with lots of trees getting cut down and big wood piles. Etc. Well we had about a dozen ash trees on our yard. About 4 or 5 of them already had been cut down periodically.

So we made it to church that morning, just barely in time and one of the Pastors asked us how I morning went and we were honest with him and told him what happened. And he was all like, Oh, we have a ministry that helps people with stuff around their houses. So he scheduled that all up and not too long after a guy I hadn't met before was at my house. Checking out the trees. Then a week or so after that they started in on our trees. I think he came like 3 times and did, 4 or 5 trees. I don't remember the exact number. Hang on.... Yeah I think it was 5. I helped as much as I could cutting smaller stuff up after they were felled with my electric chainsaw. LOL. And stacking and such but He was the man.

I have lyme disease and a bit decrepit from it. I've gotten better but I'm not as strong as I was when I was like in my 20s and I never would've been able to do this by myself.

So man, God is good. Sometimes he sends people with skills and talents that just do huge works in other peoples lives and it blows my mind how good the church can be sometimes. Obviously it's not perfect and I could go on and on about the things I don't agree with in any church. But when we focus on the good things I'm sure they are there in a lot of churches. And in the case of this ministry and this problem, this was one of the biggest blessings I think that has ever happened to me. Thank you God.

So when I was working with this dude we talked about music a little and I asked him what kind of music he liked. And strangely enough he said when he was a young man he was into Frank Zappa. Now I've personally never been a big fan. I don't know a lot of his songs but he's a bit too racy in his lyrics and a bit too weird for me. But obviously he's a very good guitarist. And bold, and interesting and lots of other good adjectives. So I'm not trying to dog his work. I'm just saying it's not really for me. But I listened to 3-4 songs on youtube and tried to incorporate some influence of that into this song.

I don't think I was very much successful at sounding like Zappa. I had already had the guitar parts for this song and was looking for the right place to use them. So in effect I probably wasn't THAT influenced by him. But the parts seemed appropriate. So that's how this song came together.

I had a lot of fun with this one just structuring it and stuff but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Or anyone. IDK. Dale seemed to like it though.

As in the other thread in the recording section, if you guys got critiques on the mix I'm all ears. And if you can tell me how you listened to it. I'm still learning how to mix and I'm just starting to use compression on some songs I'm mixing now. LOL. So.... I get it, there's more work to be done. And honestly I spend more time playing and writing then I do listening to reaper videos. I can't remember the last one I listened to. It's not really my passion but I should learn to do more with that part...

https://41twin.bandcamp.com/track/sawdust

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Great song and even better story JJ.

Thanks for sharing.

And I'm glad you found a loving and caring church.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
THANK YOU Sir. Obviously after being there a year I've seen more of what's going on and there are some things I'm not in love with. But that is the case with myself too. Like they say there is no perfect church cuz we're in it.

But their theology is a lot more balanced towards Grace than the last church I was going to. Which was important to me. There's also a LOT more evangelism going on. A lot.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I could feel the Zappa-esque in that one. I can see why Dale liked it. Sorry, I don't have any advice on the recording.

I have a question about another one of your songs... "Thank You". I rather liked it. I was wondering if you have played it in church and if so, how was it received by the congregants?

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
Love the song and the recording.

I'm more of a Little Feat (quirky blues and country) fan than Zappa--

But the origin of Little Feat was that Zappa fired Lowell George

The question is whether Zappa fired him because of his playing or drug use

Or whether Zappa fired him so he'd have to start his own band. :)

Thanks.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Thank you guys!!!!

@Lowerleftcoast The quick and easy answer is NO. I don't think any church I go to would see that as a church song. But I mean, I like it cuz it's a personal prayer to God from me. I would think others could relate though.

@studio Not sure what that means other than maybe you met him? LOL. When I listened to those 3 or 4 songs to sort of prepare, there was a lot of stuff I wouldn't have listened to with my daughter in the car. It was pretty....... yowza. I needed a bit more of God after that. LOL.

@GoldieLocks I did listen to them growing up. Too many puppies... LOL. I'm sure there's an influence in there. So: Tom Waits, Primus. I hope I can get another one out of you..... My goal has always been to try and sound different from song to song. But that is harder in practice then it is in theory. Now that I think about it, that might've been a very "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" sounding riff. I had listened to the in forever. I don't know how close it is..... LOL. I might have to listen to it.

Last edited:

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
If PRIMUS made a Gospel album: that would be on it.
my thoughts exactly! Nice tune and can identify with the situation as took a direct Tornado hit here at the House in March. We lost a total of 16 trees in a few seconds and can definitely identify with the sawdust every where and sound of chain saws LOL!

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Thank you guys!!!!

@Lowerleftcoast The quick and easy answer is NO. I don't think any church I go to would see that as a church song. But I mean, I like it cuz it's a personal prayer to God from me. I would think others could relate though.
It's cool none the less and personal praise can be different as long as it is from the heart.
Here is an old thing I did years ago in some dark times solo in my old studio. We did use it a couple times with Ascension ( with our normal singer on Vocals) in our sets but never recorded it.
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2683241

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Yowza!!!! That's some shredding going on there!!! Lots of pinch harmonics? Nice job man. Yeah definitely wouldn't be played in my current church. LOL. Well maybe for the youth group.....

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Meister
Thanks for this refreshing tune. It sounded like a Beatles tune to me for some reason. The vocals are really good, and the guitars were excellent. I love it!
Rene Asologuitar

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
@Rene Asologuitar That is very very kind of you and makes me feel really good. To be sure The Beatles have always been one of my favorite bands. So no doubt there is some influence there.

Thank you for listening and the generous feedback!!!! Hopefully listening brings one closer to God. But that is a tall order to accomplish.