New Software Discussion - Questions

TDPRI

Retired
Why does the site icon look like this in my Safari (iPhone) bookmarks?
Got me. That is the software we use now - Xenforo.

Seems we lost our site icon when we moved. We'll try to get it back. But if we do you'd have to delete you bookmark and add a new one to get rid of that one.

We've changed it. But it could take a while and as I said, you'd have to delete the current bookmark and add the bookmark again. You should be able to see the "favicon" in your Browser URL address line above.

Last edited:

brogh

Staff member
Hi, i love the new version so far,

the only thing i'm not able to get is : how do i see if someone has replied to a thread which i've not subscireb to, in the old version of the forum there was a flag if i'm not wrong, am I missing something ?

cheers

TDPRI

Retired
Click on Watched Threads above - you'll see all the threads you are subscribed to that has new posts. If you don't see any threads listed then there are no new posts in those threads.

watched.png

TDPRI

Retired
D'oh, I just reread and see you said "Not Subscribed". Sorry,

Click on "New Posts", "Today's Posts" or "Recent Posts". If you see a "Dot" between the OP's Avatar and the thread title there's a new post. You can just click on the "Home" tab on the menubar and see that as well.

We explain some of this here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/quick-help-new-posts-recent-posts-first-post-etc.616547/

It's one of the "Quick Help" threads that explain a lot of how to move around here. You'll find nearly a dozen of them in the Forum Problems and Issues forum index page.

Clicking either the "dot" or the time under the username on of the Last Message poster will take you to the last post in the thread.

still_fiddlin

Friend of Leo's
Got me. That is the software we use now - Xenforo.

Seems we lost our site icon when we moved. We'll try to get it back. But if we do you'd have to delete you bookmark and add a new one to get rid of that one.

We've changed it. But it could take a while and as I said, you'd have to delete the current bookmark and add the bookmark again. You should be able to see the "favicon" in your Browser URL address line above.
If I browse directly to /favicon.ico, it's really tiny. Maybe it needs resized, too?

Attachments

• 52t192.png
    52t192.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 244

still_fiddlin

Friend of Leo's
favicon's are mandated to be that size.
Pretty sure they can be bigger these days; but apparently Apple has an apple-touch-icon and html 5 recommends listing different icon sizes with separate link tags, so that may not be the thing. But hey, it's your icon!
favicon's are mandated to be that size.
Well, you might be able to make them bigger in 2016, but here is the problem, I believe. In the <head> section:
<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.tdpri.com/styles/styles/core/xenforo/logo.og.png" />

Just change that logo out with a TDPRI one (you pick the size). Apple has an an apple-touch-icon <link rel=...> tag that would help on iPads and such.

But, hey, it's your logo, or xenforo's, whatever!

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
I've been noticing my 'back arrow' has been getting loaded with multiple ggoglelead.net, goglesyndication.net ... about 10 deep. Is this the new norm for the non ad-free version?

TDPRI

Retired
Pretty sure they can be bigger these days; but apparently Apple has an apple-touch-icon and html 5 recommends listing different icon sizes with separate link tags, so that may not be the thing. But hey, it's your icon!

Well, you might be able to make them bigger in 2016, but here is the problem, I believe. In the <head> section:
<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.tdpri.com/styles/styles/core/xenforo/logo.og.png" />

Just change that logo out with a TDPRI one (you pick the size). Apple has an an apple-touch-icon <link rel=...> tag that would help on iPads and such.

But, hey, it's your logo, or xenforo's, whatever!

I'm not talking about mobile device Icons - not in the least. I'm talking about desktop icons.

Our mobile device icons are created in a multitude of sizes and most of them are quiet large.

You mistook what I was referring to. Here's what I'm talking about - and they can be no larger:

faviconSize.png

And while that Xenforo image is in our file folder, that one, is not being used and is not the icon that is being used as the bookmark icon either.

Last edited:

TDPRI

Retired
I've been noticing my 'back arrow' has been getting loaded with multiple ggoglelead.net, goglesyndication.net ... about 10 deep. Is this the new norm for the non ad-free version?

No. And I have no idea why you are seeing them. I suggest you dump your cache and browser cookies. What you are reporting is not normal for everyone else.

still_fiddlin

Friend of Leo's
I'm not talking about mobile device Icons - not in the least. I'm talking about desktop icons.

Our mobile device icons are created in a multitude of sizes and most of them are quiet large.

You mistook what I was referring to. Here's what I'm talking about - and they can be no larger:

View attachment 345773

And while that Xenforo image is in our file folder, that one, is not being used and is not the icon that is being used as the bookmark icon either.
Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your website source clearly designates the xenforo image as the apple-touch-icon in the <head> section with this link tag:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://www.tdpri.com/styles/styles/core/xenforo/logo.og.png" />​

It's an easy fix to replace all references to that file with a new one that has a better icon. Attached image of this page added to favorites in my iPhone. it uses a 192x192 png for the apple-touch-icon and 32x32 for favicon.ico file.

Attachments

• icontest.png
    icontest.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

TDPRI

Retired
Sorry - thanks for that help. I was talking about the favicon - but I see that what I was talking about was not what was creating the issue in this case.

Your help is appreciated. I made that change that change.

logo.og.png

TDPRI

Retired
Wow, favicons have changed a great deal in the past few years. I had my head in the sand.

We not have new favicons for EVERYTHING! Thanks S_F for the heads up.

gnuyork

Tele-Meister
At least restore a readable font, bolded, to the right side of the landing page. Did someone specifically request a font that requires the Hubble telescope to decipher?

I think I am seeing this too, and it's really my only complaint about the new site (despite me not liking change at all). Otherwise, I can get used to everything else.

I know there are some seeing this - I'm only saying the vast majority are not. If I knew why some were I'd tell you how to fix it

Oops. I misread that. I am not having that problem. Rather the opposite perhaps. I dabble in Graphic Design a bit (but for print) and I feel like the fonts are too large and not as bold, or maybe spacing, which makes it awkward to read as opposed to the layout. This is only within the each forums thread pages (is that the landing pages?) Is there a way for me to change these fonts?

This is what I am referring to. Within the threads, reading is fine though.

forum.jpg

TDPRI

Retired
Sorry no. There is no way to change the fonts. You think they are "not as bold." While others complain they are too bold. And most think it's just about perfect as is. Call it the Goldilocks effect. It is what it is. We realize that you can't please everyone.

I too am on a 27" iMac. But my browser window is set at half the width of yours. But hey everyone has their own way of working.

The pages are officially described as follows:

Homepage - is a portal page with listing of current threads
Forum Home - is a listing of all the fora available for posting in
Thread View - is the listing of all the threads in any specific forum
Post View - the posts within each thread​

PS. Some browsers let you customize the fonts, colors, etc on specific websites. Just an FYI

gnuyork

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I...just...cant... place it - too bold/not bold enough... it just makes it more difficult to read the thread topics...but no worries. I'm sure after a while I'll get used to it. The important thing is it's easy to read within the threads...

I moderate another forum, and I know about not pleasing everyone ;)

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
FYI. Experiencing full page "flashing" that is getting worse by the day over the past week. It has actually made my Safari to quit. I don't see this happening anywhere else although eBay cookie ads flash in my yahoo mailbox, but that has been going one for some time now.

BTW, I'm using a 2009 MacBook Pro with very old OS.

TDPRI

Retired
Our software is very modern and uses many current technologies. Older browsers can have a problem rendering a page here. If you have an older Mac, with old OS then you also have an out of date browser which unfortunately we do not support.

I'm assuming that, for whatever reason, you don't plan on updating you OS and or browser. If not I'm afraid this problem will not go away. If you can you'll find there are no issues.

I'll code your account with special settings that I hope will help. But I can't guarantee it. Please let me know if it helps.

gnuyork

Tele-Meister
FYI. Experiencing full page "flashing" that is getting worse by the day over the past week. It has actually made my Safari to quit. I don't see this happening anywhere else although eBay cookie ads flash in my yahoo mailbox, but that has been going one for some time now.

BTW, I'm using a 2009 MacBook Pro with very old OS.

Earlier this year I installed El Capitan on my Mac Pro (from Snow Leopard). I was holding out (remember I don't like change :p), but I actually needed to use some newer software for work - Adobe Cloud, so I needed a current OS :mad:. I ended up buying another SSD drive for El Capitan just so I could keep Snow Leopard incase I needed to boot into it!! Long story short - I ended up taking my Snow Leopard drive (Which also was SSD) and put it in my wife's 2009 Mac Pro and I formatted it and installed El Capitan on hers. So I'm just mentioning this, because 1. I don't miss Snow Leopard one bit (and I thought I really would), and installing an SSD drive with El Capitan on my wife's old Macbook Pro really transformed it into an almost new computer - quick snappy, yadda, yadda...

I recommend installing an ssd drive and El Capitan (if you have at least the RAM requirements). It will feel like you have a new laptop, and it's seriously no bueno to be using Safari from that long ago.