new small truck day, Ford Maverick ...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ringo, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I ordered one of these , was a no obligation thing, no $ down,we didn't have to buy it if we didn't want to once it arrived. Well it came in this week and after test driving and thinking about it overnight we went ahead and got it.
    This is the XL which is the base model. Fairly cheap, rides nice, has plenty of power, we went with the 2.0 conventional engine instead of the hybrid.
    This will be a company truck that my youngest son will drive most of the time. He and his brother took it out this afternoon with their bikes to go ride some.
    It does seem a little funny to have a Maverick badged truck, my dad and my sisters all had the 70s Maverick cars back in the day.
    But it's pretty cool I think. It's really as big or bigger than the old Ranger trucks, more room insde, smaller bed but it can still carry 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate down.

These are stock pics, but the one we got is this color Velocity Blue.

2022 Maverick XL Velocity Blue Steel Wheels.jpg Velocity Blue Maverick XL 6.jpeg

stepvan, Tonetele, Blue Bill and 30 others like this.
  2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

cool. i've had my eye on these. i wonder why ford didn't re-use the courier name?

i have a '17 colorado now, and its a great truck, but when the time comes to do something else, i think i may give a maverick serious consideration.

Creaulx and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I and my siblings shared and drove an old Ford Maverick, back in the mid-1970's.

It wasn't a truck.

:oops:

[​IMG]

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Why the ICE instead of the hybrid, if I may ask? Hybrid is available on all the FWD models, as I understand?

5. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I can't get past the name issue.

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Congratulations
    HNTD

7. Glen W

Glen W Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My plan is to look into a lease on one of these Mavericks when the rust spots on my '05 Silverado overtake the painted sheet metal. So maybe next year. :eek::twisted:

drmordo likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I knew the Ford Maverick. The Ford Maverick was owned by a friend of mine. Ringo, that's no Ford Maverick.

;)

9. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking at this model online earlier this week and also decided the 2.0L engine would be my choice.

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i love the ford XL trucks... had an XL ranger... vinyl floors, hand wind windows etc... only options were cruise control and A/c... great little truck...unfortunately my wife likes the lariot and platinum models...

enjoy ya new truck !!

11. Ringo

Hybrid is available on all models but it costs quite a bit more, and I'm not totally sold on how reliable the Ford Hybrid models are. One of my sons has a Prius and I know Toyota can build a great hybrid. I figure with the car market the way it is now and likely to be for the next year or so, if we decide that we want a hybrid we can always sell this one and recoup most if not all of the cost and get a hybrid.

"Sorry, I can't get past the name issue." No big deal to me, and really why would that be a concern? I didn't buy it for the name.
    And I bet most folks don't even know what the original Maverick car is by now. I rarely ever see any driving around on the road, my guess is most are logn gone scrapped and recycled into something else.
    The only original Maverick that I think is cool is the sport model Maverick Grabber.

Hyundai makes a similar truck but it is a lot more $ and I'm not a Hyundai fan at all.

GeneB, ieatlions, Cyberi4n and 2 others like this.
  12. Ringo

This XL has a lot more options than that, power windows, the big screen with bluetooth and other features. The F150s (and other full size trucks) have gotten really pricey and we don't need a big truck.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same here. A girlfriend's parents had an old '70s Maverick, it was the biggest POS in the world at that time. Why the heck did Ford decide to use that name for a nice new truck?

Creaulx and Timbresmith1 like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on actually getting one, especially without putting anything down upfront. I had to put $1000 down on my Ranger earlier this year, about 2 months before it came in, to reserve it. While chip supplies seem to be a bit better now, inventory is still tight at most dealers.

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Cuz the target market wasn’t born yet, and care as much about old car names as they do about aging guitar heroes. Which is to say, nil.

ieatlions, Rod C, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  16. tap4154

Many older folks would like to buy a small pickup, however if they just want to target younger folks that have don't have the bad taste in their mouth of the old Maverick, that's their choice. I just think they should have retired that name.

howardlo and daddyplaysbass like this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’m all for Ford saying “the name didn’t make sense for the car, but it does for the truck. Maybe the car has faded in people’s memories by now. It’s not like we’re naming our new truck “1970s Oldsmobile Diesel” or anything.”

18. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I think this is going to be my next vehicle, pending a test drive. Looks like it could do everything I need a truck to do, and gets 40mpg in hybrid trim, plus its one of the cheaper new vehicles out there. I don't have anything to tow, I just need to be able to take stuff from home depot once in a while, bags of compost etc. and throw a bicycle or a wheelbarrow in it once in a while. And as much as I think 4 dr trucks look silly, a back seat is way more useful to me than a long bed.

19. tap4154

By the way don't get me wrong, I think the new small Ford truck is a great idea. In fact I might have named it the Ford Ringo...

Better idea... since it's designed to be very energy efficient, call it the Ford Greengo.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    stepvan and 39martind18 like this.
  20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

It says a lot for those of us who can't get past the name.

Wasn't the last Maverick car made in 1977?

My last girlfriend was born in 1984.
    Just to give some depth to this, lots of folks in the market for a small truck won't have a clue of any stigma attached to the name.
    Forty years is long enough for the Maverick name to again stand proud.
    Look at all the crappy iterations of Mustangs through the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.