New Shop Building Project...

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Got the PVA primer on the walls today after assembling the airless sprayer. This went well and hopefully, I can move onto the color coat(s) tomorrow. I'm SO glad I chose a very light grey for the color as the white-white of the primer is to glaring for me in this big space. (The grey is also better for photography) Note, the PVA primer was only partially dry in this photo so it looks a little wonky.

IMG_3203.jpg

spurcell

TDPRI Member
"Pole Barn" was how this format started, but post-frame is more accurate about how the actual structure is made from an engineering standpoint. Today's buildings can also much nicer than old-time pole barns...even the "poles" are laminated posts that are really straight and true so you don't have to have magic powers to get a straight and square structure.

We fortunately do not have termite issues here at this property, but adequate treatment is already part of the plan.

I had a mini split at the old property/shop and will also have one in the new building. I need both heat and cooling and mini splits are uber-efficient, especially in a well insulated space. Hopefully the latter will come from closed cell spray foam, but I'm not yet at the point of getting quotes. Alternative insulation methods have less expensive materials but I'd have to put in a full ceiling Which is costly given it would either require adding structure to support something like drywall or need to be done with metal. In both cases, thats $2.5-3K of cost which could be flipped to the very efficient spray foam as an envelope. Decisions....decisions... :D
As you know, the overhead door will be your most persistent & greedy thermal thief. My wife and I recently moved from CT 'back to' Georgia after about 35 years in the cold. Very happy to be here, but Brother, I miss my basement and detached, hi-posted oversized garage/Shop!

My shop is now the garage, shared with all the crap we couldn't part with (yet). Other than no room to turn around, garage door insulation is a big concern. The door gets about 6 hours of direct sun daily, and that makes it tough to work on guitars & their near relatives! I'm finding it especially challenging to weatherstrip effectively.

Not sure of your timeline, as I just discovered this forum. That said, Enjoy!!!

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
I'm happy to say that other than a few minor touch-ups, the painting is now complete. (Oh, ok...other than those touchups and the future window/door boxes, etc.
biggrin.gif
) It's amazing how quickly one can move through an open room like this with an airless sprayer for sure and I'm happy with the end result. I actually didn't need to use a brush/roller up around the overhead door as the gun had pretty darn good control. My "practice" with the PVA primer yesterday also sped things up as well as increased the quality of the finish with the colored pain. This is a very light grey (called "Elemental" in the PPG chart) and keeps things bright without being glarding like "white" and also is much better for photography than "white" would be.

IMG_E3205.jpg IMG_E3206.jpg

I managed to get most of the cleanup taken care of before ending my day...and it's nice that the trash goes out tomorrow for Wednesday pickup.
smile.gif
Next steps are to do the final terminations on the electrical and start work on the various sound mitigation things I have planned in my head.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Not about the 'Shed', it's the head, the tools and the hands... That makes a 'Luthier'...
No disagreement in principle. Making a few guitars is just a small part of my greater woodworking endeavors and I need the space to actually use the machinery I own...it's all been stuffed into the "garage" for a year and a half since we moved and that got worse when my new sliding table saw arrived three months early from Italy. When I'm moved in, there will be space for all phases of work I do for machining, hand-work, assembly, finishing and material storage without these functions stepping on others.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
I got the sliding table saw that arrive three months early into the new shop building this weekend. It's now fully assembled and "alive" which is good because I need it to complete the very last building construction task left which is to box in and trim the windows and person door. I can then start moving tools in; compressor first as I need to use the Big Orange Power Tool (Kubota tractor) to get the compressor up on the platform, followed by dust collection and other things as time passes. Hopefully, I can be back to making stuff soon, including a few little guitar type projects that have been bouncing around in my head for a year and a half.

IMG_3293.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Looking nice and looking more forward to you doing another guitar project!
Thanks, I appreciate that! While a lot of the initial stuff I do/build in the new building will still be related to "setting up a new shop", you know I gotta do some other things and hopefully, one of them will be instrument related simply because I enjoy it.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Man Jim, seeing your tool array makes me want to take my metric Cresent wrench and hide! #shopenvyisreal 🤤

Any specific reason for elevating your compressor besides maximizing space? I think I will enclose mine for sound reduction at my next shop & pipe a drain to it for ease of draining water out. Elevated certainly would make it easier than having to get on the ground to do it & my resulting negligence in frequency.

Eric

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Any specific reason for elevating your compressor besides maximizing space?
It was specifically to maximize space. :) The Harvey G700 dust processor goes under it, although it will be mobile for a bit until I have the actual arrangement worked out in the real space and can move forward with the duct work. Things look nice in the "virtual space", but reality hits harder once the tools are moved in and moved around a bit.

I did thoroughly clean and mop the floor yesterday to get rid of the last of the "construction" dust, so moving more things in can commence.

draggindakota

Tele-Holic
That's coming along nicely! I'm jealous, I've pretty much stalled on my shop build. Just no time these days.

LOL. Probably would work for munchkins, but the space isn't that big. Only 24x36x10

I did just that last year. My son's birthday was only a few weeks after the building went up so we of course had to have a glow / skate party. In an un-insulated, un-airconditioned metal box in July, in Florida 🥵🥵🥵. Only ended up with one broken wrist too lol.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
For all practical purposes all the "construction" is now complete with the windows and person door boxed and trimmed. I have some paint touchup to do, but that's it. Time to move on to some storage things and getting the air system installed while I have lots of open space...the lawn is like a freakin' swamp right now due to the nearly 3" of rain we just got, so I really can't be moving any tools at the present time anyway. With the slider and DC operating, I can work on some cabinetry and the lumber storage setup at least.

Photo prior to getting the trim on the door.

IMG_3363.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Started working on the air system for the new shop building yesterday. I scarfed a RapidAir kit from dude on another forum awhile back and ordered additional components last night. It will be nice having a more orderly and less "haphazard" air setup in the new shop, compared to how things "evolved" over time at the old shop. In a small space, this kind of thing isn't necessary, but doing it in the larger space makes for a safer work environment that doesn't have a hose stretched across the space to various places where air is needed.

Pete_from_PGW

TDPRI Member
Hi Jim, great build. I not far from you and tried to send you a PM with some questions, but the forum bot said it sounded spam-y I couldn't send it. Talk about a Charlie Brown moment. Any way, if you have some time I am wondering if you have knowledge of spray booths local to us.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Pete, my previous property was in...Buckingham on Rt413 near the train yard. :)

I don't understand your question about spray booths local to us. If you mean something publicly accessible, I'm not aware of anything like that. I know that a fellow up in Mechanicsville used to sub out his (cabinetry) finishing work, but I don't know where.