New Shop Building Project...

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I have my permit "in-hand"...time to break ground and timely at that as a contractor neighbor just had the house next door demolished (it was not savable) and will have a trackhoe here to regrade the lot prior to resale. He wants/needs the material that has to come out to build up my base and bringing in stone via the driveway on that priority, as I noted previously, will result in less damage to our lawn. Less work for the "Big Orange Power Tool" I own, too, as it's just a small Kubota TLB. Oh happy day!
Awesome!!

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's always nice to have good co-operative neighbors

It's even nicer when they have heavy equipment :)

True dat!

There's been lots of Tonka Toys playing next door in the past few months including the "behemoth" that took the derelict house down yesterday and today. Chris will be renting a more modest trackhoe for the grading work and maybe a dozer, and I'm thankful for his help. He's a builder with 45 years of experience, so he's done this kind of work a few times. But most importantly, that driveway next door is the key to my front lawn not getting destroyed by tri-axles filled with stone products that I need for my building base.

Sadly, the actual building is a ways out...they are at between 12 and 20 weeks right now. Grr...another summer in an unconditioned temporary space (what some folks call a garage) for whatever amount of woodworking I need to do until I get the shop built.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I can now say that I have officially broken ground for this project...this afternoon, as a matter of fact. It was hotter than "that place" out today, but I was getting bored staying in the AC and watching videos, so I fired up the Big Orange Power Tool and started moving some dirt. I'm going to be restoring the hydraulic pressure a bit when one more thing I need arrives and that should help with the job, too...after about 20 years, the pressure relief valve needs some shims to get things back to where they need to be.

IMG_1358.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Whole Hole...

IMG_1384.jpg

What used to be in the whole hole...

IMG_1385.jpg

Geotextile and several layers of compacted stone are next. Normally, I would not have excavated this much for a post frame structure as the stone only supports the floor, but our ground is unusually wet and getting down below the organics makes for a better base long term.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Geotextile went in yesterday and the first load of stone was delivered...23 ton. I calculated I'd need about 52 ton, but I'm going to take three full loads as any extra will get used for surprises, other small related projects or if the folks putting up the post frame building mess up my nice compacted, level ground. :)

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
'Brought in a total of five trucks of recycled modified material...that's 115 tons!. All the excavation to get below the organics really kicked up the stone requirement. Four layers of compacted material. My 20 year old Kubota BX-22 handled it easily, albeit in smaller bites than a larger machine would have. It's now within about 1.5" of level everywhere and I'll play around with that over time, which I have a lot of given the builder emailed yesterday and said I was tentatively scheduled for...the second week of September. It was still totally appropriate to do this work now, given the available access for the trucks via the lot nextdoor, a window that's going to close in a few weeks. I just need to do some backfill along the raised edges and plant some grass to keep things nice and I'll do that over the next week or two.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I think I'm done playing in the dirt for awhile...115 tons of stone after digging out about 16" of topsoil followed by backfilling and grading. I just need to seed it to keep things nice until my shop building magically appears sometime in September. I'm truly thankful for the Big Orange Power Tool for sure...

IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1443.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yea, this product, while recycled, is essentially 3/4" modified. It just happens to be mostly of recycled concrete from demolition and is a very nicely compressible mix with fines up to small rock, mostly under an inch. At the back end, it's 28" bottom to top and 16" at the front, averaging like this:

1655059327926.png

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yea, it's worked out well...we had heavy rain last night and things still look pristine, too. It's solid as a "rock", as it were. :)

There will be an apron and a walkway to the house at the front, but I've left the grass there for now for two reasons...it's controls groundwater flowing down hill and I didn't want to push the county water management regulations which can be costly. That will be a "new project" after the building is up. :)

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
'Brought in a total of five trucks of recycled modified material...that's 115 tons!. All the excavation to get below the organics really kicked up the stone requirement. Four layers of compacted material. My 20 year old Kubota BX-22 handled it easily, albeit in smaller bites than a larger machine would have. It's now within about 1.5" of level everywhere and I'll play around with that over time, which I have a lot of given the builder emailed yesterday and said I was tentatively scheduled for...the second week of September. It was still totally appropriate to do this work now, given the available access for the trucks via the lot nextdoor, a window that's going to close in a few weeks. I just need to do some backfill along the raised edges and plant some grass to keep things nice and I'll do that over the next week or two.

View attachment 992359

View attachment 992360
Hi Jim! It's going to be a big plus for your property when done!!!

Just a small point...........Is the machine in this pic the "big orange machine???

To me it looks bright red!!!

DC

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hi Jim! It's going to be a big plus for your property when done!!!

Just a small point...........Is the machine in this pic the "big orange machine???

To me it looks bright red!!!

DC
Yes, the BOPT (Big Orange Power Tool) is very orange...Kubota Orange, to be exact, albeit weathered since it's a 20+ year old BX-22 that lives outdoors. :)

I agree that the property will benefit from having the outbuilding far into the future when I'm "done" with it.