New Shop, Before and After

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by PingGuo, Jan 3, 2019.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Side project 2:

We decided to stack our washer and dryer.

Anybody else do this and get told "there's no such thing as a 10' dryer cord. You'll have to move the outlet."??? :rolleyes:

Yeah... Thanks Home Depot.

(Yes, I now know the NEC code for this)

IMG_5224.jpg IMG_6255.jpg IMG_6211.jpg IMG_6214.jpg IMG_6216.jpg

2. PingGuo

Back to the garage!

Real progress is being made.

It turns out that the foreman decided that 4mil poly was more appropriate than the painters drape his guy was trying to use :mad:

Now I feel like I have to nitpick everything these guys do. Not a fan of that.

I got an NTO in the mail from one of the suppliers letting me know that the GC bought the drywall on credit... I've since gotten copies of the paid invoice from him. But I'm still waiting for the release from the supplier. Seems like a silly thing to have a client see for a $1300 purchase. Makes me feel like he's low on cash.

Why not just pay it outright? Isn't that what the deposit was for? And shouldn't he be profitable enough to float operations?

IDK. It's not how I would handle my finances. In my mind "running lean" is synonymous with "near failure."

Oh well. It's moving forward and I haven't actually caught them doing anything stupid since the moisture barrier debacle. And that's been adequately resolved.

It's officially been a month since the papers on the project were signed. My personal hope is that we'll be done by the end of this month.

Yesterday the foreman was there doing some of the support work to get the attic area up to par. I'll try to get some pictures of that tonight.

5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg IMG_6457.jpg IMG_6458.jpg

RogerC likes this.
  3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Problem there is the outlet of the vacuum in it's turbulence stirs and make airborne as much as it collects mostly. ;)

Thanks for reminding me to replace my furnace filter...

Trench for juice? Seems deeper be safer, what it code?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. PingGuo

Yeah, when you're already struggling with dust vacuuming is the worst. but it has to be done.

We did the filters too.

5. robt57

My kid was here for a while after graduating from college. Moved 2/4 and the dust storm literately with 3 friends, me and my kid in and out, whew.

Best thing for the bulk is if you have wood floors let it settle. Then use Murphy Oil soap and a big pad to capture the bulk. The swiffer duster hangs onto what it hits for upper surfaces. Wait, and repeat. ;)

It was wet melting snow outside too, making matter worse. especially the part when the shop stuff my kid had [pen maker] went thru the house to the u-haul.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    PingGuo likes this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Nothing unusual about a contractor running a tab for materials and supplies. It's common practice to set up an account with material suppliers so your not having to run to the supply house and pay cash every time you need something on the job.

It does seem odd that you would receive notification of it via USPS though. Must be a Florida thang.

Ask your electrician what the minimum burial depth is on your underground; looks mighty shallow from here :).

It looks like your moisture vapor barrier is on inside out to me ;).

Tyvek/building wrap (stops water and wind, but allows trapped water vapor to pass) on the outside of the sheathing (outside of insulation), plastic sheeting/foil face (impermeable to water vapor) on the inside or conditioned air side of the insulation.

Yes, it may sound odd, but a molecule of water vapor is smaller than a molecule of air. Ya gotta get the physics right to have a system of construction that works properly.

I don't mean to pee in the whiskey, just to give ya a heads-up :).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

RogerC likes this.
  7. PingGuo

Thanks for that. That makes me feel better about it.

NEC for conduit run cable is 18". I just ran outside to check it :D. The trench is 21" so that should be good. The electrician will be here on monday so he'll get em sorted it it's not. I'm not sure if where I'm at is an inspect the trench type of place.

(I think they dug it deeper since the picture I posted)

So.... This is an interesting one. You not wrong... but...

My understanding is that a tyvec or "house wrap" usually goes between the OSB and the siding.

This homemade garage is just siding nailed to 2x4s. So that makes everything a little stupid. To do it right in the modern construction sense we would have had to rip it down to the frame, which is a goofy thing itself. Then, rebuild the walls.

At that point it might have made sense to just start over from scratch. But that would have been way outside our means.

IDK. The foreman has been in JAX for most of his life. And has worked on a number of these goofy diy garages.

He consciously wanted to have a layer between the siding and the insulation. So, we sealed the siding from the inside with dymonic on the slats and spray foam on the roof line. Then, the inside out moisture barrier went over that.

The reality is I probably wont know if we have moisture problems for another year or five.

No worries, and thank you. Let me know what you think about how they approached the moisture problem considering the structure.

TDPRI really is the best.

8. PingGuo

more pictures.

The frame is super not level on its interior face so the guy doing it has to figure that out for every piece.

My hope is that the next layer will be cleaner looking. We'll have to talk to the foreman about it.

IMG_6539.jpg IMG_6540.jpg IMG_6544.jpg IMG_6545.jpg IMG_6546.jpg IMG_6547.jpg IMG_6549.jpg IMG_6550.jpg IMG_6551.jpg IMG_6552.jpg

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A lot of small contractors are chronically short of cash, and essentially you are financing their entire operation for them. Most often it works out OK, but you end up holding the bag if something goes wrong and he runs short of cash before the job is done, and he can’t meet payroll and pay his suppliers.

I would recommend that you go to the supplier and pay off the materials yourself and deduct that from your payment to the contractor. Rule #1 of hiring contractors is Never, never, ever let them get ahead of you. Pay only what you’ve agreed, and only when it is done to your satisfaction. Anything they tell you they’ll do at the end of the job, hold back Retainage,typically 10-20%, or you’ll never see it get done.

Lessons learned the hard way.

10. PingGuo

Yep, contract has 20% retention built in.

The receipt for the supplies looked good to me. If I don't get the release from the NTO soon I'll call the supplier and make sure it gets cleared.

Not super worried about it. But your right, these things can go south quickly. Hopefully I don't have to deal with that. But I don't believe I will.

11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Moved your tools in yet?

PingGuo likes this.
  12. robt57

I thought it was a bit too long for an update post considering the pace. I hope all is well North FL...

PingGuo likes this.
  13. PingGuo

yeah... They're moving nice and slowly. But it's getting there.

Really, the time frame hasn't been super unreasonable but it has taken way way longer than promised. Which is weird, because i didn't impose a timeline on them to begin with.

I'll take some pictures in there tonight and let yall see how it's coming along.

despite being frustrated I'm still happy I haven't done it myself. Seeing how tedious the drywall has been is eye opening. There is not a single flat level surface in that place. And they've had to try to deal with that on every sheet.

I'm hoping it's done soon. I miss working on guitars.

LeftFinger likes this.
  14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You've done a great job so far.

PingGuo likes this.
  15. PingGuo

Thank you :)

I must admit I've been pretty frustrated about it the last week or two. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not really taking an unreasonable amount of time. And that I'm paying them to do it so I don't have to.

I'm really looking forward to being back in there. I think I'm driving the better half crazy with all the extra project energy.

16. robt57

Suggest applying the pressure elsewhere. Unless you changed up things, it should not be delayed as such. I'd try communicating with the contractor you are having a wife problem due to the delays/schedule. Play good cop/bad cop. Have your wife not talk to any worker or contractor, and exhibit stinky eye every chance. You be good cop....

PingGuo likes this.
  17. PingGuo

Here's where we're at now. The main guy on site says that everything will be done end of next week for sure. We'll see.

I start making myself a pain in their asses if it's not done then.

IMG_7226.jpg IMG_7202.jpg IMG_7204.jpg IMG_7207.jpg IMG_7211.jpg IMG_7215.jpg IMG_7220.jpg IMG_7222.jpg IMG_7224.jpg

18. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It would be a good idea to throw a Hefty bag or a piece of visqueen over that drill press before the taper shows up ;).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

PingGuo and eallen like this.
  19. PingGuo

A great suggestion! But... there's no mud going on these walls. Level 0 finish. Most of em will get covered with shelving/tools/pegboard anyway.

Seriously though, the idea of having mud in the drill press gives me chills.

20. robt57

BTW, I changed the front 260SF Air Conditioned portion of my 850SF with all LED shop lights. Highly recommend them, at least over certain benches.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.