1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New second hand Amp coming my way. A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Blazer, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well what can I say. I made stock of what I had lying around and I fell out of love with and decided to get rid of my Epiphone DOT and my Fender Red Knob Deluxe 85.

Dot 2.jpg
    deluxe.JPG
    Because I was listening to a lot of Fender guitars into Fender amps recordings and Youtube clips and making a couple of decisions on why it was that I couldn't get that rich, full sound from my amp: because of it not being a tube driven amp.

So I got in touch with an old friend of mine whom I known from childhood to make a deal on a Hot Rod Deluxe, since I know those amps well and always wanted to own one. We agreed on the terms and if all goes well, I'm going to retrieve it tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm stoked.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

While I like many amps more, the HRDlx is a staple for a reason, and I hope you enjoy it.
    Just dont expect miracles out of the dirt channel, and know you can buy or make a box to tame its loudness and drive it harder.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you know what version/year it is?
    I have an orignal VI and love it in ways, and hate it in ways
    My understanding is subsequent versions smoothed out some of the issues

4. Blazer

I'm using an Ibanez Fuzz and a Mooer Solo (An in "Soldano") distortion on my pedal board, they'll suffice.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Solid choice. Never owned one, but shared the stage with several, with owners who knew how to exploit them. Its a winner for a reason.

6. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Gratz on the new amp! You'll love it

7. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Very cool amps. Tolex or Tweed? 40w or 80w?

These amps have been in and out of my collection for years and years. Mainly because they work, they sound pretty damn good and they are available everywhere.

If I see one I like, I buy it..if I need money for some reason, I sell one...kinda thing.

8. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Word brotha. I prefer single channel amps and getting my drive from pedals. But the reverb is certainly usable and if you use it for the one-channel Fender clean pedal platform thing, at the end of the day a 40w clean amp with good reverb is an ideal stage amp.

Overdrive channel(s) is uh...well not my taste.

9. Blazer

Tolex, 40 watt.

The tweed ones tend to go for twice the amount of their tolex brethren, the one I'm getting is from somebody who services amps for a living so I have have little doubt in it being in perfect running order.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, the current v.4 is the one to have. Same goes for the Blues Junior. Look for the white knobs.

11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

That red knobber SS is pretty cool too; might make for a cool two amp setup with the HRD. I wonder how some lower gain preamp tubes might chill out the volume and gain on the new amp (if that's what you're looking for).

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Worth using a lower gain tube I'm the V1 slot.

12AT7, 5751, 12AU7. They improve the clean, and dirt channel, reverb. But also most importantly makes the volume control work somewhat properly.

13. Blazer

Well here she is and she's a screamer.

DSC02639.JPG She loves pedals and has headroom for weeks.

And to please the people who asked for her serial number and when she was made, I also photographed her badge.
    DSC02640.JPG

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I had one for a few years, and I remember a great big clean tone and fantastic Reverb.

I just had better luck ( at gigs) using a Tube Screamer or Vox 810 Valvetone ( I actually used these at higher Drive, for their distorted sound, rather than the SRV/boost way) thru the amp's Clean side. And using it with, or without the TS ON.

Things just seemed to cut through better ( volume and EQ, easier to control) than the HRD's OD channel.

Miss mine! ( sort of, too big for me now)
    Have fun!!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. Blazer

I already figured out that it sounds the best when used with a drive pedal through the clean channel. My main strat is a 2004 Squier Classic Vibe in Fiesta Red with a Dimarzio SDS-1 in the bridge and hooked up to my Mooer Analog delay I just have been playing Shadows tunes for a couple of hours. It just NAILS that sound.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Blazer

Well after A-B-ing between my single coil guitars and my Humbucker guitars I found that I get the best results when using the single coil guitars through the drive channel set on crunch and my Mooer to add extra gain. The Humbucker guitars sound best if I use the Mooer into the clean channel.

Hey I'm really GLAD I went through with this one.

17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

In another recent thread (about volume boxes through the loop on these) it was suggested to try a 12ay7 in v1 (I think v1?) To change the feel and usability of the old HRdlx models dirt channel. If you want to tinker more without tedious modding.

Glad you still like it. I recall liking the humbuckers through clean too, but the dirt not doing much for me. The tele on bridge only was good on both channels, but I never messed with things with hotter single coils back then.

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I used one for eight or ten years and really liked the sound of it. About the fourth time in those last two years that it had to go in the shop, I got rid of it with some wistfulness.

Let me be quick to add that, to my knowledge, there is not a decent amp tech within 60 to 100 miles of here--maybe I should have tried harder to find one.

In any event, they really are good sounding amps and I wish you the best of luck and great enjoyment from yours. It appears to be super clean!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.