New scam alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My mother in law got scammed with the “your grandson is in jail in Ireland” pitch.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

You are getting too slow in answering the phone,waste of their time

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

been getting a lot of unsolicited robo calls lately. mostly ones relating to hotel chains

4. aubrey67

aubrey67 TDPRI Member

It's 100% scam. These scammers are using Amazon as their new trick since few months ago. I've read some reports filed by people about similar Amazon scams at https://www.whycall.me/202-695-7690.html. IT's better to just block the numbers, and don't forget to inform family about how these scammers work. Thanks for sharing the story here, telemnemonics.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

my stepfather was targeted with the grandson in jail scam.good thing the old man is still pretty sharp.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Elders are top targets and lose a lot of money to scammers, for a number of reasons often including loneliness and free time to talk but mostly due to the common dementia or alzheimers that often eventually comes.
    Could also be a bit of an old ways trust where folks born in the '20s & '30s are less used to outright lies told in what appears to be marketing, sales or customer service.
    Grandson in jail is again one of those things an elder probably never imagined anyone would pull.

The number of times my old Mother stood at the end of the driveway waiting for the big lottery check to be delivered is a heartbreaking memory. There was one of her last Christmas day gatherings when she spent the whole time with the phone on her lap checking for the call that her millions was arriving.

Due to the nature of dementia there was no way for her to remember that she was being scammed, even though she could remember that she was winning the lottery. After closing her checking acct twice due to other scammers, Social Security got on the phone with me at the bank where we were setting up a new acct for her SS check auto dep and they told me it was time for me to take over her finances.

Unfortunately that was a whole 'nother nightmare and she probably lost as much to lawyer and court costs as she had lost to the scammers.
    A decade or so ago, elder abuse came out as being a thing, and new laws to protect elders from family were enacted.
    Those laws essentially made it very expensive for family to be family and help in the aging losses process.
    The court demanded I account for every bag of groceries, and required I pay myself a wage for being a fairly normal son.
    All this happened in 2009 or so and cost more than $20,000 for the legal portion, partly because the new laws oddly required me as sole heir to post a bond equal to 100% of the estate value, IOW I had to have property worth the full estate and put that property in escrow so that if I stole from the estate that I was to inherit, the estate would take my property to cover my inheritance that I had stolen.

If I did not have property worth her estate value, the court would be required by law to appt a professional conservator who would make all her financial and even medical decisions.
    As her dementia progressed it got harder to keep her safe at home, and a professional conservator would have taken a paycheck from the estate for the service of putting her in a locked dementia ward.
    Three lawyers, many court visits and two years being unable to post a bond but having to maintain and produce accounting for the court, she wrapped up an often very unhappy last years, but in her home at least, still able to do some of the things she loved like walk to the beach and feed the seagulls, or go to the library where she couldn't recognize old friends.

Be careful kids!
    It's a cold cold world out there!

stevemc likes this.
  7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Some Indian guy named "Dennis" called me once to tell me that my computer had been hacked. I asked him what operating system my computer used and he said it didn't matter. I then asked him if his mother knew that he was cheating people out of their hard earned money and would she be proud of him if she knew. He went silent, said "no" softly, and hung up.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

A real prince would have included bumched shrits

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

"No real company calls to "protect" your account. Just like the IRS. I know it's fake, because they would never call."

AMEX sends a text for potentially fraudulent activity asking for verification. If you say you didn't make the charge you get a call. Happened to my wife about 7-8 years ago. We live in the USA and got a text asking if we'd just purchased well over $100 in online gaming equipment to be sent to Sweden. My wife texted back no and they called us immediately to verify.

10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

How timely. Just now got a scam email supposedly from AMEX regarding my account needing to be secured. I don't have an AMEX account. Morons.

11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I know the IRS never calls; but why do they want your phone # on your tax return?

12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I get crap like that all the time. Some people work pretty hard at not working for a living

13. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

I regularly get calls telling me that I've recently been in a car accident and am entitled to compensation. My stock reply is 'F**k! It must have been a bad one! I don't remember it at all'

Usually followed by a click as they disconnect. Although the last one said 'ah, ok. I'll take you off our list.'

14. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

To sell it to phone scammers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.