New Ryan Adams release

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Sep 12, 2014.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Only heard the title track. Pretty standard Adams fare, I liked it enough. The video has Elvira in it which was interesting.

3. blowtorch

Does it rock, or is he in his all in laid back Neil Young/Elton John mode?

(Only just now learned it was out, and I can't listen to clips here at work)

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I listened to it this morning on Spotify.

I love his music, but I'll be honest and say that although this was just a first listen, I wasn't that keen on the new album. In fact it sounded more like his namesake Bryan than Ryan...

5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

It reminded me of Halloweenhead, not so much the chord progression but same sort of guitar sound/production/vibe. Listening to the song "Kim" and that one really does have a Bryan Adams thing going on lol.

6. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll admit I haven't heard the full album, but what I have heard is juvenile, both lyrically and musically, IMO.

Ryan Adams is capable of much, much more.

7. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

It's a bit of a grower. Has that late 70s/early 80s FM radio vibe that's very de rigeur right now. Guitars sound nice though he could dial back the chorus pedal a little. 'Stay With Me' is a damn fine song.

8. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

crap, completely lost track of him around '08, '09. loving the album and i gotta catch up with some of his other stuff that i really loved in the past :) thanks for the reminder, this is gonna be an awesome sunday!

9. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Just bought it yesterday. My first Ryan Adams album. Still trying to decide what I think. Need to listen a few more times. Definitely confirmed that the sound I am looking for can be found in a Princeton Reverb.

10. HC

HC Tele-Holic

I've been listening a bit to it for the last couple of days and I'm a little undecided about what I think. Gimme Something Good is a good song though.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never been a Ryan Adams fan. I streamed the new album and love it. I'm going to buy it as soon as I have enough money together for a serious Amazon jag.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think it is great.

A little on the commercial side for me personally, but excellent listening. Gets better with more listens, as all his songs do.

13. blowtorch

Hmmm, I think I'd'a taken that one for free in my iTunes w/out too much grousing

14. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I like it.

15. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

I bought the vinyl yesterday. It came with the typical audio download code as well, but it was a direct vinyl rip which I thought was interesting. I can hear the "crackle" while I listen on my iphone.

I haven't decided yet on my overall feel, but I like it. I was just glad he moved more towards a 'rock' sound than his acoustic only sound on the last album.

16. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I saw that performance on TV yesterday and thought it was OK - nothing too outstanding as far as the song goes but liked the guitar tones from the array of Princetons. Reminded me a bit of Neil Young style without the heavier guitar tones.

17. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I'll admit to being a RA fanboy. I like the new album more than the last few. I think he was going for an '80's windows down rock vibe. Mission accomplished. I think Trouble is a great song.

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fan of Ryan here, too.

Listened to some of this, including the video clip.

Okay, not great. Compared to his best stuff.

Truthfully, he looks & sounds kinda bored.

19. blowtorch

I think that's part of this enfante terrible's schtick. It's like he's gotta appear either bored or in a rage and ready to fire his band

20. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I'm a big fan of Ryan Adams. I love his songwriting and of course his guitar tone ;)
    I also think he's a really underrated singer. For me, if I can't get into the artist's voice then I can't get into their music and I'm REALLY picky. They don't have to be a great singer, just have a unique and interesting sounding voice. So many people nowadays do that whole Nickleback/Creed-esque vocal style and I HATE that. But I've always loved Ryan's voice and then I got into his lyrics, melodies and phrasing and I was really hooked.
    I have to say I like his rocking stuff better. I've only heard a couple tracks off the new record and it seems kinda mellow. The 'Ashes and Fire' record was mellow but I liked it quite a bit, especially the title track.
    I do miss the Ryan Adams & The Cardinals though.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.