New Ryan Adams album 10-11-11

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Tdub, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire...

Ryan is of my favorite artists, but I'm just not knocked out at all after the first 2 listens. Might be one of those "grow on ya" records though.

Thoughts...?

2. JtotheP68

JtotheP68 TDPRI Member

Yeah, I love him too. This album has been heralded by the UK press as some sort of return to the form he had with Heartbreaker and Gold. But after a few plays I find it sadly very average and not as good as his most recent Cardinals material.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If he could write 12 songs like "Shakedown on 9th Street", now THAT'D be an album.
    I get tired of all the emo-ey material.

edited to add-when you are receiving praise from Elton John, you are doing it wrong.

4. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I like it, but then again, Demolition is my favorite from him, and most people didn't seem to like that one either. He's one of my faves and I'll keep buying everything he puts out.

5. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

I really like this album. Lots of depth.

I think that Ryan suffers a lot from fractured expectations: half of everybody wants Cold Roses and half want Heartbreaker and everybody wants to forget about Rock and Roll and already has forgotten 29. This record might be his strongest as an album and certainly has the best songs he's written since Cold Roses, but I guess that Gold never was anyone's favorite so this one won't be either.

Still a great record, though.

6. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Come on! Cardinology and III/IV were awful!

I say that in the best spirit, mind you :)

7. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I liked both of those albums and still listen to them regularly.

8. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Me too. I guess I'm just being hyperbolic because I like this new album so much and I'm surprised it's getting a neutral reaction. What I mean is that in the scheme of all his albums it seems those two get overlooked or apologized for a lot.

9. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

I've listened to it a couple more times. I like 2 songs, Dirty Rain, and Lucky Now. I can't remember any of the other tunes. Maybe it will grow on me, but so far it's the only Ryan Adams album that I don't care for.

10. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

I liked Cardinology, and I thought III/IV could have been condensed into one disc, it was about half good.

Easy Tiger, Heartbreaker, and Love Is Hell are the albums at the top of the heap for me. But he's got some killer tunes on his other albums.

11. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

You wanna talk awful? 29 was awful. Everything since the Love is Hell EP's has been pretty mediocre for me. Cold Roses had its moments I guess. From the samples I've heard it sounds like a few good songs, the rest being forgettable. I hope I'm wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.