New roof day/at least 11 people on my house/cross your fingers for me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Finally.

GAF Timberline.

Been putting it off for 2-3 years.

Roof they’re ripping off is 27 years old.

Lotta guys here.

At least 18 total.

My house is small too.

But the roof is way more complicated than it needs to be . Valleys here and there, dormer over there.

Wonder what these dudes make ?

Lotta noise too. Cats are whacked-out.

Frankie won’t get off my lap.

Well, time for some photos. Wish I had brought my helmet in from the truck ...

william tele and bftfender like this.
  2. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

I just got here, I'm not Florida man, yet...
    Hope no one falls through...

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Do not order pizza for them … let 'em work :D

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I've stripped and replaced roofs. Hard work and dangerous!

Never fell off one but a guy I was working with slid down the roof and was stopped by the chimney.

With 18 guys shouldn't take long.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

My experience: A swarm of workers showed up and the old shake roof was gone in short order. They specialize in removals. Then the roofers came - fewer than the swarm - and did the install. Our roofers were off-duty firefighters making some money when not at the station. They did a good job.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Got a new roof two years ago. Team of guys showed up at 7 am, crazy organized and crazy hard working. They did the old roof removal, new 3/4 ply sheathing, and new shingles in one 12-13 hour day. It was impressive to say the least.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New roof day for me also. Just moved in. 25 years old roof, no leaks. Make sure they do what you contracted for. They did an excellent job on the shingles and the flashing. The flat roof addition was to get silver coat. I took a walk around twice during the day to get an eye at the wood underneath and their progress. They were fast workers, 6 counting the foreman. I didn't see anybody work on the addition and they were cleaning up. I asked about the silver coat. They knew nothing of it. The foreman said he wasn't told that and after I showed him my contract, he made a call. The boss told him they don't know what day they can get back. I said alright, I'll hold the check till the job is done. He made another call. They are coming Saturday. How long could it have went before I found out that part wasn't done?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Mike Eskimo

I could still re-roof but your stripping days should be over by your early 30’s .

Even if my house didn’t have basically a 14/12 pitch I wouldn’t strip it. I need my back for other things .

Seems like they’re almost done but their hardest job is just ahead. The cleanup .

I pride myself on my cleanup’s at the end of every day - even if I’m gonna be at the house for multiple weeks. And coul roofing nails are never part of my detritus...

Stubee and william tele like this.
  9. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Just having mine pulled off and replaced - 115 years old - yes that's one hundred and fifteen years old - only two rotten joists, apparently the rest are good to go for another 100 or so (where did they get the hardwood and is it avail in tele blank size?)- let's hope the timbers I am getting them to put in to support a new floor are from the same tree or my new music room will end up in the master bedroom..............

10 guys hit it and had it stripped, felted and battened and water tight in 48 hrs and now we have the teams of two or three in to do specific jobs in no apparent order (to me anyways) and sometimes 2 or three teams at the same time.

Just wish they would stop ringing the door bell at 7:30 am to tell me they have arrived (hey mister can we have our ladder back) - the banging will wake me up (well maybe lol)

10. Mike Eskimo

Depends on how often you’re up on your roof.

What material? Slate ? Tile ?

I ride through a very affluent and historic neighborhood every night and at least half of those roofs are full slate.

11. knockeduptele

Tile at the front and side, and slate at the back - (which is good as slate is lighter than clay by 60% and I am having three big roof windows being put in at the back with no structural engineer requirement)

Over here the local gov guys will only allow you to put in a similar covering to what was there before to maintain the look and feel of the street - their rules so I play and don't get grief down the line.

Mike Eskimo and Jim622 like this.
  12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tile

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. knockeduptele

Just be careful of any additional roof windows (big holes - double up the joists is usually fine) avoid changing loading's on tile is the lesson I have learnt and have managed to avoid as its heavy stuff - the view over here, where they are really tight on building regs, if it is more of the same then its fine - big changes on moving joists and structures around, then spend $300 on getting a set of structural engineers calcs to cover it (and your own backside)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I took a week off work, in 1986, to labour for the slater who turned my Yorkshire Stone roof, when I lived in a 200 year-old Pennine cottage. The technique is as follows: you remove all the heavy slates from the roof, replace or renovate the original timbers, apply roofing felt and lats, then re-fit the slates (and capping stones), turned over, to expose the original yellowish colouring. Some of the slates in the bottom courses are three feet square or larger and can weigh 50 pounds each. Carrying them, one handed, up a standard ladder, was a tough task in itself.

I imagine they use hoists and cranes now. Too late, for me. :rolleyes:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.