New Reverb rules are terrible for sellers

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Are you kidding Reverb? I just got an email telling me that if I personally refund more than 5 orders per month, Reverb isn't gonna follow their Safe-Ship policy. I try to give my buyers awesome customer service, so as soon as they complain about anything that occurred during shipping, I refund their money, or give them a partial refund.

Now, instead of them getting a speedy refund, they have to deal with Reverb's sucky refund interface and issue a complaint against me, which I always hate receiving. It just makes them more likely to give me a bad review. If you're forced to write a paragraph on how I'm a bad seller for UPS demolishing a package, it means that you're more likely to write a negative review.

This is definitely not helping the buyer experience, this is a stupid idea that the idiots at Etsy thought up.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
FWIW, there are still people like me out there who actually read (or scan) reviews instead of relying on the overall score. Far too many negatives speak to the buyer's whole experience rather than to the seller and/or product. i.e. for restaurants, complaints about lack of parking (in a big city, lol); customers purchasing the wrong product altogether; and of course, shipping incidents.

Unfortunately, Reverb is just becoming on par with everything else that has diluted (and deluded) reviews on their site. It's more or less useless these days.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I think what you mean to say is that Reverb has further defined their Safe-Ship policy, which now says that 5 refunds per month is the exit door for it, and that to me makes sense.

I've sold there for many years, over 100 instruments, pedals, pickups, etc. packed and shipped. I had one (1) item damaged in shipping (UPS really blew it), and Reverb stepped in to deal with it since I used their shipping payment. Boom, everyone was happy.

I describe things carefully and honestly and pack items safely. Outside of the above I've never had to do a refund or a partial refund of any kind. So from my POV, their policy is fine and fair.

I will say that in the big picture, I'm not a fan of the ETSY overlords. The percentage commission increase has made me sell there less than before.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Have sold quite a bit on Reverb, pedals, tube amps, guitars, and have never had a return. Probably just lucky but I am also incredibly paranoid and probably over pack things

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I have about 80 5 star reviews on Reverb both buying and selling. I’ve stopped using them as there are too many stores selling now, shipping prices are getting crazy, and I’ve known too many people with bad experiences. 5 refunds a month seems astronomical to me imo.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I originally meant this post for stores that move like 1000 items a month. There are stores like that, especially Sam Ash locations and big mom and pop stores.

Personally, I've only ever had three people ask for a refund, in 80 items sold. Once was because I didn't test a guitar thoroughly enough, and didn't notice that position 2 was out of phase. My fault there. Once was because UPS cracked a PCB board, and once for them losing an item.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If a seller has to issue 5 refunds in a month I’d assume they are a professional seller and have the infrastructure to deal with such effort. I’m I off base?