1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Reverb Day

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jake Nelson, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

So I started a tube powered reverb a few days ago. It’s kinda modeled after a Premier 90 using a 5f1 small parts kit form monotone, 6k6, 12ax7, output transformer from a Dukane 1a485c intercom, power transformer from a Webcor 2131 reel to reel tape player, Mod reverb tank. Tubes are in storage, once I pick them up we should be rolling. IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG

Inglese, telestratosonic and robrob like this.
  2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a cool project but the tank may be too close to the power transformer.

3. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

yes. i was thinking that might be an issue. i made sure and put the input side be the power transformer and the recovery side furthest away. if it’s a big problem i’ll mount the tank towards the top of the cab

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  4. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I wonder if The Mod Kits ‘The Wave’ has troubled with that. That’s what gave me courage to try it mounted on the chassis.

5. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It might work just fine so I'd definitely try it the way you have it but you may want to unbolt it and try it a little farther away and compare for noise and hum.

6. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

You where right. it needs to be farther away from the power transformer.

I need to tweak the recovery side of the circuit. As soon as I back the pot off it gets kinda buzzy, possibly lead dress or ground placement.

7. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

IMG_0133.JPG

So I was thinking of removing C3 and R9, as I don’t have a foot switch, and see if that smooths things out.
    I have a 1meg pot instead of R6 for Dwell and R8 for recovery

8. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I eliminated the intensity pot and went with a fender style recovery instead. It’s less quirky now.
    Image1528811826.268551.jpg

I didn’t have a 5k pot for the clean mix so I used a 10k but found that it works better with 2 2.2k resistors across it. Making it act more like a 5k.

IMG_1107.JPG

next is to add another filtering stage to the B+ and mounting it in its cab with the tank farther from the power transformer.

So far I am enjoying this project.

zoran likes this.
  9. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Squier standard tele that’s been esquired with a ‘52 reissue pickup into presomus audiobox into garageband direct than reamped using my stand alone reverb with reverb on full. (my soloing is totally beginner )

robrob likes this.
  10. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Resurrecting my reverb thread...
    So I had put this project on a shelf because it adds a lot of hum when it’s connected to an amp even with a reamp box between the reverb and amp even with the ground wire disconnected. So I dig it out again during quarantine and now it’s time to quiet this thing down. Lead dress is probably the biggest problem. I’m not sure how to shield the transformer yet but we will learn. I really like how it sounds so it’s worth the time and effort. Be nice to pair it with my recent Blackvibe 6L6 build.
    [​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Quieting hum due to EM fields boils down to two practical options: mu-metal shielding, or distance. Distance is much cheaper.

Physical orientation (changing the position and direction of the transformer and tank) can help a lot, too.

The first step is to get a set of long, properly shielded cables and move the tank further away. If that works, then you've verified it's an EM field problem.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Jake Nelson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.