New, reissue speakers...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, May 25, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I was looking on the Weber site. Confusing. Way too many options. I ended up emailing them for their recommendations. I was given two options. There must be one specific speaker type that was used in the mid 60's by Fender on the PR that these manufacturers make. The codes are there. Why make it so complicated? That in itself is a total turn off. If someone is trying to find an accurate replacement, they're not going to be doping the speaker, and most us don't know how many hz those speakers were in 64/65. They're also pricey, almost double for a similar speaker by Eminence.

Wally likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

well, if a person has the experience to know what they want, I can see the advantage of tailoring a speaker to that....and why it would be more expensive. My main problem with some Weber’s...maybe just the older ones????...is that one never knows what the speaker is because it is not coded with the info....beyond a wattage capability that I have seen written on the face of the gasket. Something in my faulty memory seems to make me think that Weber has changed this and does give some info on the more recent speakers,..starting when I do not know. I do know that every Weber speaker I have heard is a usable speaker for my purposes...and I find their options of interest and use. I simply would want to know what the options are when one model is discussed or a speaker is being sold. For instance, the amp in which there was one 12F150O and one 12F150T did not really need the punch of that T....iirc that is the punchy one???. It hit my eardrums hard.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah I hear you, fun to talk about it all though. 10F150's often come up used for $60 or so.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Agreed that at least for me, Weber offers too many options.

I'd think that there are probably some 'classic recipes' for some given applications, and wish Weber would just offer them as the default, with the possibility to specify alternate options, but as part of a custom order.

Regarding Eminence, aside from the price differences, I really think Eminence does a much better job with the similar speakers that they offer. Eminence decides on the combination of voice coil diameter and type, magnet type and size, cone, dust cap, etc., and then gives it a name. Then they might have another one that's the same except for a difference in voice coil only, or difference in magnet only, etc. And each of those is a different model name. Case in point would be the Private Jack, Texas Heat, and Governor. They all share mostly the same attributes, except one attribute will differ. The PJ and the TH are primarily the same (TTBOMK) except for the voice coil (type and diameter, IIRC). The PJ and Gov are the same (TTBOMK) except for magnet size.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

They do. Just stick with the non-letter (so 10A125 and not the 10A125-a/b/h/o). Typically the non-letter options in the vintage series are meant to be Weber's versions of vintage Jensen designs. So a 10A100 = a P10R. 10A125 = P10Q. 10F150 = C10N. And so on. All the other options are if you really have a specific sound in mind that you're trying to get to. Since they build to order they can mix and match the cones and such. This is also where their customer service is excellent. I was looking to replace the speakers in my Vibro-King but I didn't want to add a bunch of weight. I emailed CJ at Weber and told him, "This is what I want to accomplish tonally, what do you recommend?" He pointed me toward a trio of their DT10 speakers and that's what's in the amp now. They do exactly what I asked for.

I mean, the same could be said about any speaker manufacturer. I look at the Eminence line and there's so many options I'm not sure what they're all supposed to be.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. Jared Purdy

The two speakers that the Weber CSR recommended were the 10A150 and 10A150T. Still, that only begins to narrow it down because then you're presented with all of the other options, like doping, wattage, dust cap... I have no idea!! What is the most approximate to the 64/65 PR?

What would help a lot, actually: if they had speakers grouped according to the type of amp that they would be affiliated with. Based on the description of the 10A150T, I highly doubt that would be a suitable replacement in a PR if one was hell bent on keeping it as close to original spec as possible. And at $181US, that's not cheap in CDN$$. The Eminence ALK1028 that you mention Wally, at $100, and based on the description looks like a good fit.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The "A" are Alnico. I have minor experience with them. For some reason the 10A150 seemed very warm to me and didn't sound like the 10F150 much at all. They are quite expensive too. But I dont like Alnicos in any breed much.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

They likely recommended those two because I asked them about a suitable alnico replacement. It's my understanding that the original PR's however came with ceramic magnet speakers.

schmee likes this.
  9. Jared Purdy

I don't mind spending money on stuff that I enjoy. Bikes, audio equipment, fishing rods and reels, cameras, guitars, amplifiers, food, good tequila, good rum... However, I'm not a cork sniffer. What ever I buy has to deliver the way it is supposed to deliver. Those Tone Tubby speakers, is there pixie dust in them? Holy crap. Those are some seriously expensive drivers. A total turn off. The law of diminishing returns applies to a lot of things. Alcohol would be the top. Beyond that, it would be what ever your vice or hobby would be that does not deliver what you expect it to.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  10. Minivan Megafun

Honestly, the 10F150 is based on the C12N. If you search around you'll find all kinds of people recommending them for PR's. And they're $100 USD. I've used those speakers and one would probably be excellent in a PR.

As for specs: either 25 or 50 watt, 8 ohm, standard dustcap, and light doping.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. Minivan Megafun

And the reason the A150 is so expensive is that's the largest magnet and the cost of Alnico is fairly high at the moment.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Minivan Megafun

Actually it's a shame. I literally just sold a pair of 10F150's locally and I'm in Canada. I had them up on the Guitars Canada forum too. No takers.

I know the pain of Canadian transactions all too well. I bought a set of lightly used 10A125's off Reverb a few weeks ago. Came to just over $300 CDN with the shipping. And THEN FedEx mailed me a bill for another $86 a week after they arrived for taxes and their obscene brokerage fees. I begged the seller to ship USPS/Canada Post but no dice.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Low wattage, no doping.

getbent, Kevin Wolfe and Jared Purdy like this.
  14. Minivan Megafun

15. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've literally taken Eminence and Warehouse speakers out of my amps & cabinets & sold them to local guys who have never bought anything but Celestion. I just don't get it. Worst combo I've ever heard was a vintage '59 Tweed Deluxe through a Celestion Blue. I restored the cabinet, the guy brought all the guts when he picked it up. Of course I wanted to hear it. After he left, even my wife asked me, "Was it supposed to sound like that?" I said "For the amp, unfortunately, no. But, that's what that speaker sounds like."

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Kevin Wolfe, Wally and Jared Purdy like this.
  16. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

^^Yes, Exactly I can’t help cracking up reading some of the lengthy product descriptions attached to a lot of these “vintage repro” tubes, speakers etc.. Like this TAD 12ax7 description;

The TAD 7025 WA delivers thick smooth and airy full gain with smooth top end. No microphony issues even with the most sensitive preamps.. supports a full bodied, fat midrange, bright and articulate highs are never harsh, and creates a bold tone with lots of harmonics.
    Played clean, the TAD 7025 WA delivers a warm liquid tone which is very responsive to dynamic playing. Overdriven, the 7025 WA provides lots of sustain with well defined mid-range punch!”

Seriously..?? What’s possibly worse is their claims of having “vintage accurate” RCA, Mullard, etc.. And going as far as using the same product designations & numbering as the most sought after “holy grails” like Mullards; CV4004- for thier current Chinese made 12ax7, or GE/RCA’s US 6L6GC-STR for their rebranded Russian 6L6.

It can certainly cause frustration and confusion, particularly for the guitarist who’s new to tube amps. Perhaps even more frustrating and misleading is the pre-selection and rebranding of absolutely identical Russian tubes manufactured by the Reflektor factory as;
    • Electro-Harmonix.
    • Genalex - Gold Lion.
    • Sovtek
    • Svetlana
    • Mullard
    • Tung Sol
    • TAD
    • Groove Tubes.
    I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but my experience with Jupiter Speakers has been positive.. Although it’s tough for me to say whether they’re better than Weber and (just like the point I was making above) Jupiter speakers are not built themselves but by Warehouse Speaker Works albeit To Jupiter’s spec’s.. All this gear stuff makes up one crazy industry! ;)

Silverface and jsnwhite619 like this.
  17. Jared Purdy

That's a good reminder. I forgot about the brokerage fees. I've got family in Niagara Falls NY so if I went the route of ordering it from Weber or Eminence I'd have it shipped there, and then wait for months before I'd be able to pick it up or for them to cross the border, when they'll be able to come for a visit. :( I'm not sure if any of the stores in TO deal with either of those manufacturers?

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for poasting this. I wasn't aware that the Sovtek 12AX7WA is the same as the Tung Sol 12AX7 which sounds completely different, or the 12AX7EH which doesn't sound like either of the others.

You learn something new everyday on the internet. In another thread I learned that JJ tubes were made in that same Russian factory.

19. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

When I’m searching for speakers I try to classify them according to efficiency. So in in the Weber lineup for instance, think of it like this:

All within a given line you’ll find-
    The larger the voice coil, the more efficient.
    The stronger the magnet, the more efficient.
    The heavier the dope, the more efficient.
    The higher the wattage the more efficient.
    There’s other factors too but you get the idea.

GorgeousTones likes this.
  20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Speakers and tubes that sound like the old stuff seem to be the two main things holding back the tone potential of current production amps. Even third party version speakers don't sound as good as the old ones (Celestion and Jensen).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.