1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Refinish Day! Antique Olive Nitro

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by AfroBill, Feb 21, 2019.

1. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

Hello all. I’m pretty excited about this one. It’s my second nitro refinish. This started life as a Black Classic Series 70’s Strat. I bought it for a great price on Reverb a few months ago because the black paint was chipping very badly. By the way, the neck grain on this guitar is amazing.

I based this color off the Antique Olive Strat Professionals. I’ve loved that color since Fender released it. I mixed the lacquer myself using clear gloss nitro lacquer and a variety of Mixol pigments. It’s not exactly the Antique Olive I was going for, but I think it is pretty close, and very nice looking in its own right. There are some small spots that I had sand throughs in the final sanding, but I’m okay with that because I want to relic this guitar naturally over the years and those blemishes are just a jump start.

C98FF949-3633-47C4-A2AC-153AD1170996.jpeg

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

i like those Olive drab hues, too. Looks great! :cool:

AfroBill likes this.
  3. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Looks great, the world needs more green guitars as far as I'm concerned.

4. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Very nice!

I envy your ability to mix and spray your own Nitro.

My Strat build has stalled because I had my mind set on Cadillac Green like I saw on current model Gretch's. Then I realized the Reranch Cadillac Green is not the same color as what I was looking at.

Apparently there are a few types. I would love to find a very dark slightly metallic green in Nitro in an aerosol can. Don't think it's going to happen.

Mr. Neutron and AfroBill like this.
  5. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

Thanks! Perhaps you could email Reranch and ask them if they could custom make that color for you. If not, maybe you could contact MJT and see if they can spray a body in that color for you.

6. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Thanks I hadn't though of asking Reranch if they make custom colors. I did think about having MJT spray it but after recently finishing my first body I am sort of looking forward to doing another one.

I have realized that part of my desire for that color is because I remember seeing I guy in a bar playing a dark green Ibanez when I was very young...and I was very moved an envious of his playing. Funny how that works.

AfroBill likes this.
  7. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

The local Advance Auto Parts store has a paint department in the back of it, with a pretty good stock of stuff. Many moons ago, I had them mix up a color in a rattle can I wanted for an old Honda SL350 I was restoring. They pretty much nailed matching the color from an old side panel I brought to them. I can't recall if it was lacquer paint or not. I'd bet they could mix you up a lacquer. If so, it'd be a good idea to shoot a chunk of wood with your paint you already have on your guitar, then the "new stuff" to make certain of compatibility issues. Or you could just leave it alone; it looks good already....... ;)

I get the connection on having seen a player using a guitar with a sound you liked. That's why I'm building white Strat now. Or, I was, until a tiny a$$ housefly came outta nowhere and landed in my second coat of paint. For cryin' out loud, it was 28 degs. here when I woke up. I warmed up my guitar and my basement, and the paint. After it got close to 40 degs.,I went outside & got the first light coat on, with no runs or problems. It began to get a little over 40 when I went to shoot a second coat, and evidently, the bugs are beginning to dig it..... :mad::confused:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    AfroBill likes this.
  8. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Love that color!

AfroBill likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Nice color! More pix, please!

AfroBill likes this.
  10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

great job!

AfroBill likes this.
  11. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

The sun finally came out after a week hiding. I’m going to try to get some pictures in some good outdoor lighting tomorrow.

12. TELE_BLUES

That color needs to be all over my project bass body and hybrid strat body

AfroBill likes this.
  13. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

Looks great:D

AfroBill likes this.
  14. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

Very military. I like it.

AfroBill likes this.
  15. TELE_BLUES

My bass body is on the way down to you!

Attached Files:

AfroBill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.