1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Rat in town and it looks interesting. Wamplers Ratsbane

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Feb 28, 2021.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I just ordered one. $149, not a bad price point considering what I have paid for old vintage rats.He included some very clever features and also included a socket for changing the op amp to what ever flavor you like LM308N for example. I’m not interested in the extra gain he included but I am very interested in the voice switch adding mids (800hz-4khz) and rolling off bass, in fact, I went on a quest looking for a Rat variant that did just that. I even started a thread asking for advice. Rats on a wooden stage can get pretty boomy. (I hope there are wooden stages again someday soon). My house is now infested with rats... its glorious!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    RetroTeleRod and 3fngrs like this.
  2. cigarman513

cigarman513 Tele-Meister

Eeks...

enjoy, I love my Rat, nothing except my delay and reverb stay on my pedal board but I may start keeping the Rat on.. Its such a great pedal.

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

Some time ago I listened to all the Rat demos and comparisons I could find on YT. Exept for the Jam Pedals' Rattler+ I liked The Mooer Black Secret best, so that's what I got. I'm happy so far.

4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Read about this briefly and this caught my eye:
    • TL071 op-amp delivers a vintage LM308-like sound, but with a warmer lower-gain tone
    I'd be curious how close to a Rat it actually sounds. I don't think Wampler "copies" stuff but makes his own creation along the lines of an existing circuit.

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos TDPRI Member

I am certain I will be a collector of RAT type pedals... just cuz I love them. I only have the Chicago Stompworks Vermin and love it!

BigTwangTheory and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

Oh, that’s a good one. I love mine! In fact it hasn’t been knocked off my board by any others yet.

BigTwangTheory and TeleCarlos like this.
  7. 4pickupguy

Brian included a socket so you can change the op-amp to whatever... I will certainly try the TL071 for a while though.

8. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

A couple years back I had a RAT whiteface reissue and a Mooer Black Secret. Sounded exactly the same, so I sold the RAT. Then the Mooer. The end.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Everything Wampler makes is quiet, solid, and over performs. I'll find one of these. I love his switchable voicing on his dirt pedals.

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure he didn't re-invent the wheel re: rat mods but from the videos what was done was at the least tasteful, which is par for the course with Wampler ... I still feel like the Pinnacle was as good as the bsiab ii was ever going to be.

11. 4pickupguy

Shoulda called this thing the “Wamprat” or “sWamprat” anyhoo,.. Ran across another video...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    bluesholyman and jvin248 like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m an old man. Can someone educate me about the Rat. What makes it special or different than other distortion pedals? What’s its utility? Any well known songs/artists that are defined by the Rat tone?

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The original concept for the pedal back in the late '70s was to allow players to get a Marshall tone through Fender amps. Unlike a lot of dirt boxes I find the gain usable throughout the sweep, from light breakup all the way to fuzzy mayhem. The tone control (really just a high cut filter) allows you to tailor the pedal to a wide array of amplifiers. There are a number of well-known and quite useful mods to the circuit (my favorite being the Turbo Rat variant, which doesn't sound like you think it's going to). They also play well with Vox-style amps, and not a lot of dirt boxes do.

The only real way to answer your question is to play one.

WilburBufferson and 4pickupguy like this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you see a thread on distortion pedals and a RAT doesn't show up suggested within the first half of a page then the thread is lame.

The RAT pedal goes from regular distortion into fuzz, so there is a lot of tonal range.

The original was designed by a teenager in his garage and like a Klon, the RAT circuit doesn't follow regular pedal circuit conventions.

Because Brian socketed his pedal, a great move on his part, I'd suggest he make mod kits of chips/resistors/caps and sell those as "Bullseye WampRAT kits" numbering them "T"-#.

Unfortunately, the only short clip is in French, but it's about how Luke used to Bullseye Womprats with his T-16 back home on Tatooine.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

Jeff Beck is commonly cited as a famous Rat user. I’m a super big Rat fan boy so everything you’ll get from me is as biased as it gets. Because most people think of it as mainly a high gain pedal, most examples you will find will be in the high gain realm, mostly in metal etc. A good Rat will do it all though. Low gain sounds are fantastic and naturally have a mids peak that’s in a real sweet spot, so, boost duties are killer from a Rat. Still has that Marshally character. Dial it up to crunchy rhythm tone and now you’re getting thumpy goodness. Boost this with a TS-9 or the like for a very nice lead tone that really cuts thru. High gain sounds are rich and thick. I tend to run mine at something just a hair past a crunch tone. Roll the volume back a bit and its a very sweet clean tone. I love this sound with tele or strat. Its that “Jesus Just Left Chicago” Billy G clean sound. Very Texas. Boost that slightly with almost anything (I use a BD-2 now) into the Rat and its that singing lead tone. One thing that Rats do that I love involves using single coils on a lead tone set a little gainier and just roll the guitar volume back a bit and you will hear single notes really ”open up”. They get wider. Lots more overtones and very complex. Its as if the op-amp isn’t squashed anymore or something or maybe a pickup impedance thing?. I can think of one example of this sound and its from a live performance by Allen Hinds. He fiddles with volume a lot anyway but you can hear how it cleans up a bit and gets bigger sounding. Maybe this is not what he’s doing here and I’m wanting to hear it but its as close an example as I can find. Allen is using a signature Bob Burt “Allen Hinds” version of the Gr8 Distortion. Its a booteek LM308N Rat a compressor built in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Tim S and burntfrijoles like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I remember back in the day when the Rat first made the scene, learning that Beck, Joe Perry, and Steve Stevens all were on board, and teenage me was like "whoah"

bluesholyman and 4pickupguy like this.
  17. 4pickupguy

Beck and Rat... not sure he used them beyond this.. John Scofield is another ratter..

burntfrijoles and jman72 like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I wore out a cassette version of that album on my bootleg walkman

TeleCarlos, jman72 and 4pickupguy like this.
  19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Thanks for posting, that song is just spectacular.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

:eek:Brian must be getting desperate. Just sayin'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.