New Quilter SuperBlock Mini Heads, $249

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Let's face it. When they market something as "US", or "UK", that's just marketing. Sure, they are attempting via design engineering to have it sound in the ballpark of the reference amps, but it really has its own sound. "UK" could be a marketing claim for sounding like Orange, Vox, and Marshall, all British brands, take your pick, with the actual sound being not very close in actuality to any of the 3.
After owning a 101 Mini (non-reverb), I really didn't think any of the voices/patches sounded like any specific amp, except for the surf voice indeed being somewhat similar to a BF/SF Fender, which I verified by A/B'ing against the actual amps that I owned.

These are full analog preamps in the Quilter stuff, and as such, I just don't think it's a realistic expectation for them to come really close to the tube equivalent.

IME, it's possible to make a SS preamp circuit sound tube-like, warm, or maybe even saggy, but it's not really going to nail any actual tube amp.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Agreed. Quilter sets the bar pretty high with claims of nailing the sound of specific vintage amps. Contrast that with something like the Joyo American Sound; a pedal which makes no specific claims but is almost universally loved.

I bought my first Quilter, a TB-200, as a pedal platform and eventually moved on to a 101 Mini. Matching tones with my tube amp never occurred to me. The 101 still serves as an elegant pedal platform. I've also used it for acoustic and keys, via the FX return jack. I've not yet had a chance to try a SB but have spent some time with a Cub and was able to get some useful sounds. I'll be looking forward to playing a SB when they become available.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I have dabbled with Quilter amps, currently I own a 101R , 50 watt mini head with reverb.
Does it sound exactly like a tube amp? no, but it sounds very good to me. And it suits my needs at the moment.
I have 2 semi open back cabinets that I built years ago, I have an Eminence Ragin Cajun 10" in one and a WBS ET65 in the other one.
Both speakers sound great with the amp, to me IMO etc...

Listening to some basic recordings I have done at band rehearsals, the Quilter 101R sounds as good or better than many tube amps I have owned.
For me, pedals work great into the amp.
I like it better than any of the Boss Katana amps I have owned.

My buddy has a Quilter MicroPro MkII and a Quilter 201 Tone Block with a 1-12 Block Dock cab. He has owned a lot of great vintage and boutique tube amps, he currently has a Dr Z Zluxe. But he mostly plays the Quilters and is considering selling the Dr Z.

Unpossible

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
i own some other quilter stuff and recently got the superblock US.
It's a very good amp to have, especially if you factor in price, weight, and versatility.
When i play it back and forth with my favorite tube amp, i generally prefer the sweetness and subtle organic flavor of the tube amp, but just barely. and not always. And that is playing by myself.

Playing in a group, or in a dense recording is a very different context. the subtle stuff can get lost and you might want the extra clarity and string separation.
If you weren't going back and forth, you would just nudge the controls until it sounded good and forget you weren't playing a tube amp.
And i have to adjust the controls anyways for my different instruments no matter which amp.

I should say i play mostly clean and don't use dirt pedals. They may sound better in the effects loop instead of trying to " drive' the input which won't behave the same as a tube amp.

The headphone sound is ok, but maybe it would sound better with some phones more than others.

Agree the sound of the miked speaker sounds better to me than the direct out, but again; context.
At stage volume, If you just want a quick hookup to give the mixer something to blend in, it sounds pretty good.

Unpossible

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
just a couple follow up thoughts;
1) You can make great music with most amps. If you are a good musician, they won't hold you back.
2) i have to smile when i hear people comparing the subtle 5% difference between amps, then hook up a pedal board with 10 pedals including 5 'dirt' pedals and buffers and noise gates and a mile of cable.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
just a couple follow up thoughts;
1) You can make great music with most amps. If you are a good musician, they won't hold you back.
2) i have to smile when i hear people comparing the subtle 5% difference between amps, then hook up a pedal board with 10 pedals including 5 'dirt' pedals and buffers and noise gates and a mile of cable.

1) True, but your sound can still suck. There are some gawd awful amps out there that sound bad no matter how good the player.

2) The amp is your "canvas". If your "canvas" sounds like ass no pedal is going to correct that.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
1) True, but your sound can still suck. There are some gawd awful amps out there that sound bad no matter how good the player.

2) The amp is your "canvas". If your "canvas" sounds like ass no pedal is going to correct that.
My head would turn if I heard a good guitarist playing thru a tin can and string. Talent trumps gear. Just sayin’

m0b1liz3

TDPRI Member
This batch is large enough to cover all backorders with some UKs to spare. The US model is almost sold out with another batch due early 2022. If you want a SuperBlock US from this batch call your dealers and see if all of their preorders are spoken for.
Back in Dec, it was suggested all the back orders would be filled and another batch due for early 2022. It seems like neither of those things were true. It looks like Sweetwater might have been the only vendor to get stock and other stores are mentioning June as the expected availability. I wouldn't call June, early 2022 by any means...

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a SB US to use at church and am very disappointed in the tone. I know the guy who has the 65 Deluxe Reverb that he sent toQuilter for them to model for the 65 model…I have a bunch of quality tube amps and they all blow the Quilter off the stage. It doesn’t feel,respond, or sound anywhere near as good as my tube amps. And I really want it to. I will keep it for church because the line out is great and solves a volume issue at the church. But I actually like the tone of the Joyo AC Tone better. And that is nuts. Maybe I need to try the UK version of the Superblock.
I like the 57 tone a bit better but I need the BF 65 tone to work. And yes, I have tweed amps, a BF clone, and I love brown/blonde amps…I love Fender amps of the vintage eras. I am intimately familiar with classic Fender tone.

Multiple guitars, pedals, or straight in.
I do love the fx loop for echo and I dig the onboard reverb. The eq is very good as well. We’ll see.

Last edited:

donnyrocker

TDPRI Member
New Quilter SBUS owner. Within a week: one rehearsal into 112 Carvin cabinet (stock Carvin speaker); one pre-gig integration into pedal board (Keelys, Wamplers and Boss: o my!) and driving Friedman 112 w Creamback or no-name 112 loaded with G12K100; 4-hour gig w loud drummer, xlr out to mains and G12K100 cab. Performance exceeded my expectations.

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
I do a bar gig w a jazz quintet in city. There’s no bandstand to speak of and the sound man insists on getting a line into his desk to mix it thru the venue. I have tried the non cab set ups…Joyo am sound to the desk, then a tech 21 Liverpool into two notes cab m. Both these setups had me at the mercy of the sound guy so I could hardly hear myself thru 1 foldback wedge.
Last night I took the Quilter US SB and a 1x10” cab on the bus. It worked great, I had a good stage sound, taking up minimal space, sound man took a line out for his thing. Good result.