new pups for Hw1 - advices needed

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rocksteady Max, Aug 14, 2008.

1. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking to change the pups on my 2006 highway 1 tele to get a more traditional/vintage sounding Tele.

I play mostly clean & with a little overdrive. I'm looking for twangy bridge pickups but that doesn't sound too much like an icepick ! and, I want a clear-chimey-well defined (read not muddy) neck pick up ! I've heard the twisted tele neck pickup and was very impressed.

I don't wanna spend too much on them. I've been tempted by Custom Shop Nocasters. and I've read so much good things about Fralins that I might be tempted to try a set ( I've seen a pair at 160$ on ebay) ...

I want to change them myself. Never done it, but since I've built couple of pedal kits from BYOC, I feel confident with my soldering skills. couple of questions :

1-Do I need a different sets of screws for the neck pup since it's screwed in the body and not on the pickguard ?

2-How do I take off the pickguard ? the fretboard extenstion for the 22nd fret makes it almost impossible to take out (and you can't lower the neck pup) will I have to take off the neck ?

3-Is it a good idea to ''upgrade'' the volume and tonepot at the same time ? is there a mod out there to make them sound better ( I know there's the no load tone pot in it ... but my tone knob is always at 10 ...)

2. madmark

madmark Tele-Afflicted

yes you are gonna have to take the neck off or loosen it. There are so many pickups out there. You are gonna have to find the ones you like.. If it was me I would call curtis novak or Don Mare.. good luck...

3. rocksteady Max

thanks for the advice ...
    I just hope I won't end up with worse pups than I already have !!

4. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

well, just my .02 worth here....my Hiway1 is the ONLY tele of 9 i have that i am completely satisfied with the stock pickups...will admit i put titanium saddles on it, but even before that little minor mod, i was very happy with the stock pickups.....i play Chet Atkins/country/country jazz type stuff, so overdrive is something i don't look for in a tone....good luck in the search

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got 2 Highway 1 Teles from 2006, and Max I agree they're not at all traditonal; those stock pups are "distortion friendly" or at least that's what the objective was; they're the only sets of pickups in over 30 Fender Teles I have that I really don't like, so I've pulled both sets.

One now has Bill and Becky Keystones, and they are great. The second has just got a set of Fender Original Vintage, and they sound like exactly what you are looking for. A little less versatile, a little less touch sensitive than the keystones but 100 percent traditional sound.

6. madmark

madmark Tele-Afflicted

+1 I agree. I love mine.

7. Ricko

Ricko Tele-Meister

I've got a 2005 Highway 1 w/ the greasebucket circuitry. The stock pickups were ok...nothing bad, nothing special. I just put in a pair of Budz Purebreds that, as of now, I'm really digging. They are hotter than the stock p'ups, but have a great twang but still nice and warm. Definately a change from stock. Sometimes my tastes change with time, but right now it's my favorite guitar. I had to loosen the neck to get the pickguard off, but it was not any problem.

I say, go ahead and experiment. It's fun to try new pickups, they're not hard to change, and there's tons of flavors out there that you can pick up used for not much $$$. Best of luck.

Rick

8. rocksteady Max

What's the difference between Fender pickups and Fender custom shop pickups ?

Thanks helping pin point which pups will work for what I'm looking for !

another question : how does the Fender Original Vintage compares to Nocaster 51 custom shop pups ? they are almost half the price, so are they half good ?

What's the difference between custom shop pups and regular Fender's ?

9. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I took my pickguard off whithout removing the neck, but you have to bend it a little bit to get over the neck p/u. Then just slide it back.

10. rocksteady Max

thanks, I'll try that when I'll be change pups !

11. rocksteady Max

Fender custom shop VS. regular Fender pups

I've been lead to believe I want more vintage tone.

Boris Bubbanov suggested some Telecaster Original Vintage, and a lot of you guys love Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pups.

What's the difference between a regular Fender pups (like the OV) and Custom shop pups ? Just the price ? ;)

12. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I will also agree that the OV pickups are the best all around bang for the money. I have a 2008 highway 1 tele here I also put the OV set into and it is now my favourite fender guitar period. Of course I also put in a set of brass bridge saddles that also really affected and gave me vintage tone. OV's are the best for vintage tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.