New PSG Day -1973 Sho-Bud LDG

timbgtr

Tele-Meister
Wow, quite a Xmas present for yourself! I highly recommend you join the steelguitarforum.com if you haven't already.

+1 on this. I got “just” a new Mullen Discovery S10 not quite 3 years ago. I’ll spend the rest of my life happily learning to play it. They are the most awesome instruments.

drewg

Tele-Holic
I’ve seen a few pedal steel guitar posts pop up here from time to time. I’ve always loved the sound of the pedal steel and have played them off and on for years, doubling on guitar in a couple bands. I’ve been blessed to work with fine steel players in the traditional country bands I’ve been in so I focused on guitar.

I’ve always loved the wood body Sho-Buds. Those guitars are stuck in time a little since they aren’t being made any more but they function well with a little maintenance. A couple years ago I found a deal on a Show Pro “The Lloyd Green” model built by my friend Jeff Surratt outside of Nashville, it’s about as close as you can get to a modern Sho-Bud today. Earlier this year a friend contacted me about a 1977 Sho-Bud LDG, it was literally a basket case but after a quick trip to Jeff’s shop it’s up and running and sounds fantastic.

Last week on a pedal steel group someone posted the holy grail of this type of guitar for sale, A first year 1973 Sho-Bud LDG. My steel guitar hero, Lloyd Green, received the first one in May 1973, the one for sale was made in October of that same year. These were made for just about one year with the coveted single raise/single lower changer with the pull rods equipped with brass barrels behind two-hole pullers; Sho-Bud changed to a different system in 1974 as a cost cutting measure. These guitars are getting scarce and are a little pricey when one pops up and usually are sold long before I know about them…I’ve always wanted one but figured I’d never be able to track one down, be the first to express interest and ultimately afford it.

The guitar listed for sale was said to be in Kansas and I was doing my usual “what can I sell” mathematics in my head. I showed my wife the Facebook post with drool running out of my mouth and told my story about wanting it and she said “I’ve been asking you what you want for your birthday, if you can get it I’ll write a check, Happy birthday.”

My birthday isn’t until May and my wife is awesome. It turns out the guitar was two towns over from us, 11 miles from my house. It now resides in my music room, my third pedal steel. It’s in great shape and has been well taken care of. I’ll take it to a noted Sho-Bud player next week who knows how they work, he’ll do some routine maintenance and change the set up to my preference. I have this theory that guitars find me, and this is a great example of what I mean. Meant to be. Cheers!

View attachment 932801

I also subscribe to the theory that certain guitars, instruments, books find you; the ones you were meant to play, to read.
Congratulations, she looks very happy in her new home!

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
I’ve seen a few pedal steel guitar posts pop up here from time to time. I’ve always loved the sound of the pedal steel and have played them off and on for years, doubling on guitar in a couple bands. I’ve been blessed to work with fine steel players in the traditional country bands I’ve been in so I focused on guitar.

I’ve always loved the wood body Sho-Buds. Those guitars are stuck in time a little since they aren’t being made any more but they function well with a little maintenance. A couple years ago I found a deal on a Show Pro “The Lloyd Green” model built by my friend Jeff Surratt outside of Nashville, it’s about as close as you can get to a modern Sho-Bud today. Earlier this year a friend contacted me about a 1977 Sho-Bud LDG, it was literally a basket case but after a quick trip to Jeff’s shop it’s up and running and sounds fantastic.

Last week on a pedal steel group someone posted the holy grail of this type of guitar for sale, A first year 1973 Sho-Bud LDG. My steel guitar hero, Lloyd Green, received the first one in May 1973, the one for sale was made in October of that same year. These were made for just about one year with the coveted single raise/single lower changer with the pull rods equipped with brass barrels behind two-hole pullers; Sho-Bud changed to a different system in 1974 as a cost cutting measure. These guitars are getting scarce and are a little pricey when one pops up and usually are sold long before I know about them…I’ve always wanted one but figured I’d never be able to track one down, be the first to express interest and ultimately afford it.

The guitar listed for sale was said to be in Kansas and I was doing my usual “what can I sell” mathematics in my head. I showed my wife the Facebook post with drool running out of my mouth and told my story about wanting it and she said “I’ve been asking you what you want for your birthday, if you can get it I’ll write a check, Happy birthday.”

My birthday isn’t until May and my wife is awesome. It turns out the guitar was two towns over from us, 11 miles from my house. It now resides in my music room, my third pedal steel. It’s in great shape and has been well taken care of. I’ll take it to a noted Sho-Bud player next week who knows how they work, he’ll do some routine maintenance and change the set up to my preference. I have this theory that guitars find me, and this is a great example of what I mean. Meant to be. Cheers!

View attachment 932801
Beautiful, just beautiful. Congrats.