1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New PRS Silver Sky Tele!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by sloppychops, Apr 1, 2021.

1. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ordered one from my Sweetwater rep.

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the birds. Way back in the late 80’s, my little brother and I were just starting out on guitar. We bought a guitar magazine at the Air Force base commissary. Inside was a Rush article that contained a picture of Alex Lifeson playing a PRS. We didn’t know what it was. Nobody we asked knew what it was. None of the guys at the local music store knew what it was. Everyone told us it was probably something he had custom made.

But man, those birds. They were the coolest thing we’d ever seen. Up until then we’d only seen dots, blocks, and Les Paul trapezoids. Ok, some shredder guitars had shark fins. It had never even occurred to us that something like that existed or could be done. We both thought it looked amazing. I guess I never got over it.

Fast forward to the mid 90’s. EVERYBODY knew PRS, and for good reason. I worked at Guitar Center in Dallas and we generally had between 20 and 30 customs in stock at all times. Any time I had free time I would play one. To this day they are still the best production guitars I’ve ever played, any time I pick one up, and it’s not even close. At some point I will finally own a Custom. And it will definitely have birds. I did own a McCarty at one point, and I know a big part of the reason I didn’t keep it was the lack of birds. Without the birds, it just wasn’t the same thing to me.

It’s like Les Pauls. Yes, a studio is a very nice guitar. I’ve owned several. But I want binding, and a pearl inlaid Gibson logo. It’s just part of the package for me, and it’s not all the way there without it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

talkbox_64, Fendereedo and Jakedog like this.
  4. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Ok, but what about that headstock? Geez.

5. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I can't say that I would definitely buy one if PRS made something Tele based, but I would definitely consider it. I would have no worries about that build quality or sound, that's for sure. My only issue would be the price.

6. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like a joke mashup to me - that guitar is so small it could be a 3/4 scale!

Fendereedo and Telecentric like this.
  7. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely freakin love the birds! Maybe because I lived in MD near the bay for a long time. Love PRS

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I was not familiar with PRS until I came back to playing guitar after nearly 20 years away, i totally agree. Live the birds, love the quality and craftsmanship. Beautiful guitars. The man himself is a bit annoying, but he’s not coming to my house.

I have two PRSs and would not hesitate to try this one.

Fendereedo, Jakedog and bullfrogblues like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

That lower bout is a bit janky.

When JM was rolling out the SS in his interviews he said they planned a whole series of guitar shapes.

Paul quipped in an interview last fall that PRS's best selling guitar models are shapes most like other companies.
    The last Gibson-lead lawsuit at PRS a decade ago showed where Paul could firmly and fearlessly push the bubble on design matching, to great success.

So the urge to continue is definitely there.

I suspect that is a real image floated by the Marketing department around April 1st to test reactions with a plausible back door if things went poorly.

As far as JM's design direction: I find it poor form for a performer professing environmental support, having more fans than most demographically interested in ecological endeavors, put fragile rain forest sourced lumber on guitars.

Fender has done well in limiting Ash consumption, they could also lift off rosewood/etc fretboards and go all maple or use walnut/roasted maple/etc. Produce not only MIA but Grown-in-A to support the US lumber industry jobs. Fender could force the whole industry to change. Imagine the sweating at Gibson when their guitars are regarded like fur coats?... Fender might decide to take that kind of decisive action if PRS does launch a Tele-clone as PRS makes a lot of other guitars from rain forest lumber.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Jakedog

I’ve never understood the dislike for the headstock. I just don’t get it. But then I don’t really have a problem with most headstocks. I like fender, and Gibson, and Gretsch, and Ric, and all the traditional stuff. But I also cut my teeth in the 80’s. We were a LOT more open minded than the majority of players nowadays.

11. Jakedog

I thought the scale looked off. But I also remembered John is six feet and three inches. Could possibly be a perspective thing. But more likely it’s just a quick photo shop mashup.

tintag27 and Fendereedo like this.
  12. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

There is nothing new under the Sun...or at least, not much...

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

When the PRS single cut first came out, I thought long and hard about buying one. I didn't though because it has that stupid butt ugly headstock design (IMO). I might consider PRS if they had a different headstock. I'd never have one of their "Hitchcock" guitars either, i.e. with Birds.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:
    I feel the same about Joe Bonamassa as well.

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes..... I wasn't going go there though, bit like kicking a Hornets nest lol.

tintag27 and burntfrijoles like this.
  16. burntfrijoles

Yes, I should have thought before I posted that!! My bad.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

18. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Real or not, I just can't get on board visually with those headstocks, on the Tele, or their Strat.

burntfrijoles and CapnCrunch like this.
  19. burntfrijoles

I agree. It’s like putting a camel’s head on a horse.

ndcaster and Old Plank like this.
  20. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

"Your body is another braaaand...."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.