New project: learning more of 'em!

Discussion in 'The Writers' Block' started by Charlie Bernstein, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I can sing and play some of my songs at gigs. But just a handful. And that's not enough. And since gigging is yesterday's papers, I've started a learn-a-few-more project.

It's something I should've done a long time ago:

1. I put all my instruments into their cases except the flattop. Eliminated the competition, reduced the distractions.

2. I made flash cards with the titles of maybe about three dozen songs. (Yes, choosing was hard.)

3: I put my trusty flattop on my lap and started working my way through the pile, this way:

- If I play it right the first time, it gets a check mark and gets rolled over.
    - If I don't, it gets an X. I keep trying until I get it right. Then I roll it.

4. When I get to the end of the pile, I'll start over.

5. As soon as a card gets three checks in a row with no X's in between, I'll consider it learned.​

So far, I have about twice as many checks as X's. But I haven't gotten the hard ones yet. But the time I'm done, I expect they'll be running about one-to-one.

catdaddy and telestratosonic like this.
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did something similar: numbered my songs then used a random number generator to select the song to play.
    Never knew what the next song would be.
    It's like having audience requests.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

that check mark system is very similar to what Benjamin Franklin used for tamping down bad habits. Sounds like a good plan - gotta stick to it, though.

I started on a similar quest, a 50+ set list, just the stuff I want to play out. And then I got way laid by a writing fit.
    Still have the list, it just got longer.

I hope we can get back to something resembling what doing live music was.

Good luck, Charlie!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  4. Charlie Bernstein

Thanks! I always wanted to have something in common with Ben besides having a bad hair life.

So far, I have forty-four tunes that I've played right four times in a row. I'll keep building the list through Halloween, Maybe get to fifty.

Then I'll take what I have and start playing them with a metronome.

I figure I'll do that until the end of the year. Then I'll start on a covers I play a lot. By next summer, I'll be ready for something. If the world is ready for me.

If not, there's always 2022!

telestratosonic and teletimetx like this.
  5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's impressive! It's been a few days since I checked this thread but I was thinking about this post yesterday while working outside. It struck me as an excellent way to develop some self-discipline and a good way to learn songs well enough to perform them in public.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  6. Charlie Bernstein

I'm up to 52 now. Planning on stopping at the end of the month and starting on a few covers.

Thanks to the Coronocaust, I'll probably never gig again (what a short career!), but maybe I'll be able to do some busking this summer.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.