New project Johnson tele type

marklk

TDPRI Member
I just picked this up for $50. It's dirty and dinged up but I still couldn't resist for the price. I have a Johnson strat and it gets the closer to feeling like a Fender than any of my other made in China Starts and teles.

Someone must have really needed small screws because they are all gone. I'm going to clean it up and get it playing. Eventually I'd like to put a p90 in the neck but I need to save my pennies.

The electronics are not working. What the best way to ID where the problem is?
00W0W_gWm7u2PRbk1z_0pO0CI_1200x900.jpg
00Y0Y_fvEnrwJnCwDz_0CI0lx_1200x900.jpg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
A friend gave me a Johnson P-bass missing some screws and string tree, and with one of the pickup magnets detached. I replaced the necessary parts and I’ve been tinkering with it on and off, trying various “wrong” pickups in it. It sounds barkier and more aggressive than my Squier P. It’s fun to play. Looking forward to seeing yours come together!

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
The electronics are not working how? No noise? Cuts in and out?

Is your jack even hooked up? I don't see the lead (black wire) going to the jack, just the ground but it's a pretty small photo on my phone.

marklk

TDPRI Member
The electronics are not working how? No noise? Cuts in and out?
Thanks. I got them working now. I cleaned them all good. They were so grubby and dirty I wasn't getting any sound.

Now to clean the rest up and find some screws.

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
The OP may want to also look at this thread in the Guitar Owners Club section.