1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new project! check it out! =]

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by giale123, Sep 5, 2009.

1. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

how do you check the scale length?

2. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Wow! great looking body, that is going to be a mint looking guitar.

3. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

thanks Jay! you know what really sucks though? the guy who drilled this guitar out for me was rushing this order out idk why, but anyways, so the bridge holes werent aligned, and last night i discovered one of the neck holes was even drilled wrong. So i had to fill in both of these holes just to make sure. my neck comes in today hopefully so ill let you know! but just to save anyones money, please do not buy guitars from Barry on ebay. the link is what i gave you up there. He is very shady, i do not know how he has 100% feedback on his ebay account. The body is great no doubt, but it took forever to get with him rushing my order, losing it, and then having to build another one very quick. So just be aware!

4. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

I think you will find that this happens a lot to a lot of guys on here ie all the threads asking for help, doing guitars with "online parts" is very much a gamble, and there is no guarantee that the guitar will sound fantastic either when completed. But for people like me that cant afford a top end tele this is really the gamble you take., plus with not being able to look at what your buying firstly.
    The body is gorgeous i must admit but i wouldnt panic, because there is so much help on here that anything is possible to put things right.
    My partscaster is nearly finnished just raising the cash for it re wiring, but every step of the way doing it i was freaking that this wouldnt fit when it came or that wouldnt fit, its the first one i have built so was a learning curve as your tele will be for you.

5. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

Indeed this is true, but i just wish sometimes the service of people were better! Hope all goes well with your guitar!

6. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

Good news!

So my rosewood neck came in today from Mighty Mite. I must say the rosewood is sexy! I love it. Sits flush with my neck pocket *miraculously*. So now all i have to do is drill the new bridge holes and string up the E & e strings. And drill!

I ran into a problem though, with my clamp on the neck and the body of the guitar holding them together for now. I just noticed. If im going to use my press drill to make a straight drill for the 4 neck holes, this clamp is going to get in the way? What should i do? the clamp is definitely not flat, so it wont sit on the surface or base of my press drill right. I do not know what to do here.
    I marked the places where i should drill, for pilot holes. BUT I DO not know whether or not i should without the body connected to the neck?

Anyways here are some updating pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

I think you will be fine to make some "starter" holes with the clamp on, then remove the clamp and finish them on the drill press, but notice I said "I think" I am a beginner...

8. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

I think so as well, I'll make up my mind by this weekend. I may just buy these neck inserts just to be safe so who knows? I am running out of money though, and i dont know how to go around this obstacle but only that. So ill probably just drill pilot holes then drill it without the clamp.

Thanks for your input =]

9. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Tuners looking good matching the neck, how nice would that look matching bridge and control plate huh.

10. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

Indeed! I like the way you think Jay! I believe when i get around 300 bucks saved up I might build another tele, but this coming time, ill probably use pine or swamp ash + keystone pickups. And ill use the same tuners just with a pearl white button!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The rosewood and the 2 piece ash look like they'll be a very pretty match.

If you could get just one body/neck plate hole where it needs to be and properly match a hole into the maple of the neck, and fasten it with a shorter screw and washer, then you can lose the clamp and get the other 3 holes properly aligned and drilled; then properly complete the first hole.

I wish I could do more in that ash/rosewood combination, but when all the different types of bodies get together with my collection of finished necks, and need the sonic and aesthetically correct partners, the mahogany bodies and all the other non ash bodies end up "hogging" all the rosewood board necks I have - and the one piece maple necks always end up with the ash bodies.

That 2d body of mine Giale shows is now trans Maple Ivory Mist. I forgot how pretty it was, but it was multi-piece so it was drafted to get the color toned result.

12. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

Wow i never thought of that! That is a lot of help! =]]] And jeez, Boris i was waiting for you to reply on my thread all this time! Ive been sneaking around and looking at all your builds, and your the one that inspired me! I believe you did an ash/rosewood neck before, and i got the same concept from you!
    I know what you mean, i really like the ash/rosewood look. I dont really like the maple combo, but its whatever. Your guitars are neat no matter what! I'd just like to thank you for your help and motivation! :D

13. giale123

giale123 Tele-Meister

Rough day, 3/4's way done.

Again, im a beginner here, but i've learned a lot from my friend's dad. He used really nice precision tools to help me align things and make it so much easier! I was taught things i'd never know about by you guys as well! I put all of your feedback & suggestions together, and put it to work.

As far as the build, I have bolted on the neck, with no problems at all! =]
    Only problem was mounting the bridge. Who would of ever thought it'd be hard. Well it wouldnt have to be if "Barry" off of ebay wouldn't have rushed my order out, im telling you his drilling is ridiculously off! I would not recommend his shady business, he lied about shipping, and made a guitar like pulling it from his A**! so i had to fix everything with dowels and filling up holes. lots of holes.

But at the end of the day, everything was put together, minus one tuner because the tiny tiny screw stripped! grr..

But ill go to ace hardware tomorrow and get a replacement.
    Speaking of them, ace hardwares service is amazing! i found everything i needed there, from pickup screws, to bridge mount screws.

Here are todays pictures! tomorrow ill be sanding more, and finally applying the tungs oil/varnish w.e! =]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All i am awaiting on is my 500k pots, control plate, 3 way switch, strings and strap buttons so i can drill them in! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.