New Princeton Chris Stapleton edition or Lil DawgChoco Prince

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by aztwang, Jan 23, 2020.

1. aztwang

aztwang Tele-Meister

I’m needing a new amp for my new esquire and stumbled upon the Chris Stapleton Princeton edition by Fender. I like everything I read but have not played through it but I have heard it played through really like what I hear and would definitely like to go this route however since being introduced to the Princeton I have run a crossed the offerings from LILDAWG And their Choco prince which appears to be a replica or for the lack of better terms the same footprint and type of amp that the Princeton Chris Stapleton is. Has anyone came across this decision making process and are there any differences that I missing between the two? I did reach out to eminence and the speaker that is being used in the Chris Stapleton edition is in fact a custom speaker and not being offered for sale other than through fender so a speaker choir Would have to be made if I decided to go the Choco prince route. Any comments info would be gladly welcome, thank you.

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I have a Wonderdawg and a Lil Dawg 5e3 Tweed Deluxe. I've also played the Stapleton Princeton. I would definitely go with a Dawg if faced with your decision. Jim makes an awesome amp and if memory serves will be 7-800 bucks cheaper depending on any upgrades you might choose. He will also beef up the output if you need more clean headroom. His customer service is second to none and he is quick to answer his phone and discuss you specific needs. Many times, he will send pics of the build in progress. The Stapleton was a nice sounding amp but that Fender logo isn't worth the extra cash IMO especially if you plan on keeping the amp.good luck with your search

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+ Dawg
    New princeton is not the old princeton 6G2
    imho only

Dukex and King Fan like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I agree with others that the Lil Dawg Choco Dawg is the way to go. You can get an expertly built amp for less money if you buy from Lil Dawg, and he offers various upgrades that can make the amp even better or more versatile. If you ever choose to sell, resale value would be less with a Lil Dawg, since it doesn't have the name "Fender" on it. But as for the amp itself, the sonics, the build quality, and working with a genuinely wonderful person, go with Jim Nickelson at Lil Dawg. Highly recommended without qualification.

kookaburra, Dukex, Jakeboy and 2 others like this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Strongly agree with the guys. Unless you want to spend more to get a Fender nameplate and repro-cab, Lil Dawg is the way to go. Jim Nickelson does high-end work for a reasonable price and offers some custom options and choices, which Fender does not.

Speaker choice is interesting here, but you sure don't need the Emi Fender uses. Emi and Weber both make several speakers that sound good in the 6G2 -- for example I ended up with an Emi ALK1028, which is superb.

BTW you're right, the LD version of the 6G2 is the ChocoPrince as you mention. The ChocoDawg is a 6g3 replica (or 'clone,' since the Fender reissues are literal replicas), and although the 6G3 is a wonderful amp, it is a bigger, heavier, louder amp with a different voice.

Dukex likes this.
  6. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

It depends. If you go with the upgrade options Lil Dawg offers then youre putting yourself in the range of a used Chris Stapleton amp

7. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

You are correct sir. I will say that I've been happy with all my Dawgs and they are stock. No need to go with the upgrades IMO.

kookaburra and Dukex like this.
  8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I currently own 3 Dawgs and have had 2 others....best in the biz.

Dukex likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Allen Brown Sugar...

10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dawg...or Allen or Headstrong. (Goodsell or Carls for a Tweed Princeton, Gries for a Blackface Champ.)

11. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

First off, there are a couple of used Fender's on Reverb right now for $1,500-ish.

Second, if you'd prefer reverb to tremolo, the ($1,900) Allen Brown Sugar (15w version) should also be considered. The "raw control" dials out the tone stack, giving it more of a tweed tone.

http://allenamps.com/brownsugar.html

Allen also has the Hot Fudge, which is a more exact copy of the 6G2 Brown Princeton (For $1,500-$1,550).

http://allenamps.com/hotfudge.html

The Carr Skylark is similar but with an reactive attenuator built in (used they go for about $1,800, new I think they are more like $2,300).

Carr does not give too many specifics, but it is allegedly based on the Princeton Harvard (which is a 6G2 precursor).
    http://www.carramps.com/products/skylark

12. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Few amps are better value than lil dawg amps and you couldn't be supporting a nicer guy.

Additionally, I have a choco-prince and it's loved by myself and almost everyone who plays it. (One guy just didn't understand why there wasn't reverb. He might not be the brightest...)

Dukex and King Fan like this.
  13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I shoulda been clearer when I said LilDawg may give you options. Jim's options aren't always limited to the 'upgrades' listed on his site, currently these:

upload_2020-1-24_8-54-24.jpeg

Depending on the amp, and after discussing what you want and where/what you play, he can sometimes suggest or ask if you want anything from a slightly different coupling cap value to a line out jack to a slightly different (USA top-drawer, but not necessarily $$$ MM) transformer.

Also notice you get a Mather cab, about as good as it can get, which will look at least as pretty and authentic as Fender's cab.

The Allen amps are also a super product, and if I were gonna spend Fender money I'd try to hunt up a vintage 6G2. But if you want one built for you, you might at least talk to Jim.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  14. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

To the already excellent suggestions mentioned, you might want to add the Suhr Hombre to the mix, albeit a tremolo instead of reverb. I know that I'll be getting one as soon as they ship.

15. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Get the Lil Dawg Princeton, and use it to play the George Jones version of Tennessee Whiskey.

Dukex likes this.
  16. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Lil Dawg all the way for me. Love my 5e3. And as stated, Jim will customize.

17. aztwang

aztwang Tele-Meister

OK so just got off the phone with Allen amps and pretty impressive, seems as he pays attention to details just Jim. Any comments out there on how both builders compare as far as quality and so forth . I do know that Allan does not do any upgrades when it comes to changing or upgrading caps or transformers etc. you get what you get. Anyway any comments about both builders would be appreciated

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

David Allen knows his stuff, and is a decent guy to boot. I purchased a modded SF DR from him. He was very helpful. His take on the Brownface Princeton would be the Hot Fudge. I have been sooo tempted by that one.

I've only chatted with Jim at Lil Dawg, great guy, and others will testify to the quality of his amps. He has great prices too. I was about to order a Harvard build from him, but then I got a Marshall bug up my behind, and got a Rockittretro.

Next time...

19. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

There's nothing to differentiate the two as builders -- they're both famously helpful, smart, honest, loyal, trustworthy, brave, etc. :)

David's amps are at times a little more 'based on' or 'building out from' rather than straight clones of their parent amps. His cabs are also not straight clones of Fender's. He sometimes uses beefier custom transfomers. Each of those things can be a pro or a con entirely depending on who's doing the rating and for what reasons and given any $ issues they may involve.

You note David doesn't substitute component brands, but he uses really good ones to start with. Really, I like Sozo caps and all, but that kind of thing is not a reason to pick one builder over another *at this level of quality.*

You can compare their prices. You can itemize the individual features each offers on their amps. I'll point out here both offer either a 6V6-ish ~12-15W version or a 6V6-6L6+ 25~30W version. But you're gonna look long and hard to find meaningful negatives about either one.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Choco Prince seems like a LOT less money, for a high quality amp. That would more than compensate for not having the right logo on the faceplate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.