New Pot Choices...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Texicaster, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

My '58 AVRI pots are scratchy and before they were scratchy kinda loose anyways so I think I'd like to replace them. Attached file is my Tele.

Volume worse than tone but both loose and may as well replace both. I assume same cap between them?

I know NOTHING about pots quality and value wise. I'm happy with the tone and I assume I could get exact replacements but what are my choices and what's the best brand and place to buy?

Thanks,

TEX

switch2.jpg

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I just buy whatever is around! ;-)

( sorry)

Texicaster likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've had very bad luck with Alphas. Pretty good with CRS, even knockoffs of them.

Zepfan and Texicaster like this.
  4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Those look like CTS, which is good stuff. If you like the sound and control you get out of them, get yourself CTS pots in the same value and taper. Taper is designated by the code on the back: a code ending in 1S will be linear and a code ending in 2S will be audio.

Texicaster likes this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Thanks!

What's the bets place for parts? I usually go Stewmac for most needs but never bought pots before...

T

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Antique Electronics is who I buy from.

Stewmac only sells A-Audio taper pots. Antique Electronics sells both A-Audio taper and B-Linear taper pots.
    CTS brand and Emerson pots or about the only good pots left on the market these days. I used to get Alpha pots all the time, but they have sunk in their quality and reliability recently.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Verne Bunsen likes this.
  7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

I also use Antique Electronic Supply for CTS pots: linear and log tapers and long and short bushings available consistently.

magic smoke likes this.
  8. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The AV pots are CTS, and are high quality. Perhaps they just need cleaning. A quick spray of DeOxIt should take care of the scratchiness.

If you want the same pots, Darren Riley is a good source for the AV hardware, and most everything else Fender.

That link takes you to the Pure Vintage Fender pot, which is stock in that guitar. Pair of 'em will run you $14.

Darren's good to deal with.

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Being the old Hippie that I am, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was about Maryjane, or Pakalolo, as it's called in Hawaii, lol.

frank a likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Can’t go wrong with CTS. Look for dimple-backed if you want the same look, be be aware some of their vintage-style pots have deliberately low torque to replicate a bit of looseness on a well used pot.

The Fender Pure Vintage will be like-for-like replacements.

If you haven’t tried this before, be careful not to fry that cap. Try and put a crocodile clip between the lug and the body of the cap (if it’ll fit) to conduct some heat when you desolder/solder. Those caps aren’t cheap!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.