1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Player or Used Nashville? New to Teles' help please.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stefan87, Jan 26, 2021.

1. stefan87

stefan87 TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone,

As mentioned in my welcome post a month ago I have been looking into getting my first (will be me only too) decent tele and have been looking into the players series as they fall into my price range ($1000.00 AUD) and I do like them except for the weight, was going to counter that by getting a used one (any where between $800-1000 and getting a light weight warmoth body and swapping everything over, well that is my thinking so far.

I have found an add for a very good condition 2015 Nashville tele that I could possibly get for $800 that comes with a tweed hard case (which is just fantastic lol) which really makes this better value as the players series don't have with anything, haven't had a chance to go try it yet but am planning too soon so I know that will tell me whether I will like it or not.

I guess the question is, is the nashville a better build quality over the player series or is it just down to the extra pick up and wiring for the extra money you pay (will be converting it to standard Tele configuration), keep in mind I don't mind modding either, it comes down to the modern 'C' satin neck on both which is why I am looking at these, that and american stadards/highway one tele's are just out of the price range and I just don't have the extra $500.00 to spare.

Any advice is great, did a search and found a lot of info on the Nashvilles but not anything comparing to the player series.

Thanks.

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Be aware that the neck radii may not be the same. I seem to recall Nashvilles are now 12”. Don’t know when the change occurred. Otherwise, your plan could work.

stefan87 likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stefan, I think your plan is not well considered.

On top of everything else, Warmoth T bodies aren't even shaped right. I have a single Warmoth T body and it sits, unusable, on the shelf in the back of my shop. Please rethink this plan.

stefan87 likes this.
  4. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Besides the obvious pickup layout, the Player has a 9.5 radius and the Nashville has 12. I have both and I prefer the more std Fender radius of 9.5

stefan87 likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think the Nashville went to 12"radius in 2016. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From 1997-2015 they had a 9.5" C neck.

A lot of love here for the earlier model.

Might be a good platform for modding if you're not into the three pickups.

The case is a definite plus. $800 seems at the top end of the price. I would try some haggling.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    boris bubbanov and stefan87 like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The man from Grangeville is correct. 9.5 inch radius, but with a wider "USA" neck width at the nut - like an American Standard. Thru end of production, 2015.

SPUDCASTER and stefan87 like this.
  7. stefan87

stefan87 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    As for the neck radius, all but 1 pf my gretschs are 12' and the other is 9.5' so I'm not too worried about that, if the nashville isn't to weighty I won't worry about the body swap so I know I really need to go check it out which I will get there.

Is it really just as easy as putting a different pick guard on and removing a pick up to put a nashville to standard spec? the neck pick up isn't in a different location or anything like that?

Oh ok cool, thank you for the heads up, would you have a recommendation for any other brand of body if I was to go this way?

The $800.00 is AUD which is about $600.00USD, that and the retail price for the tweed cases here are $250.00 AUD to give you any persepective.

8. stefan87

stefan87 TDPRI Member

Ok cool, I did try a 2015 usa standard tele and loved the neck on it, so if it's anything like that then I'm happy.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That price sounds better.

stefan87 likes this.
  10. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

The Nashville’s are special. I feel they bear a superior finish. My favorite is the transparent white blonde. Although I love the Nashville’s neck, I’m not a fan of the new noiseless pickups. I think the earlier ones came with Texas Specials. Get it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.