1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New pile of old tubes day. What else do I have here?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by dannyh, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys-

Picked up an old Motorola Golden Voice console stereo (I believe made in 1962). Basically got it for free, owner wanted it gone. I scavenged what could be some good tubes out of it, most are Motorola (USA made or made in Great Britain) branded, so possibly original:

1 Motorola branded 5u4GB
    2 Motorola branded 6v6GTA's
    1 Motorola branded 12AU7
    3 Motorola branded 12AX7A (made in Great Britain)
    2 Motorola branded 6BQ5 (EL84)

and a bunch of oddball tubes (to me anyway):

3 6AQ8 (I think, hard to read), 2 6AU6A, 1 6BE6, 2 6Ba6 (all Motorola branded) and 1 Sylvania 6BQ7A/6B27.

I grabbed this thing mostly for the Fender compatible tubes, but the amp section of this thing looks like it could be made into a guitar amp, and just wondered what some of the experts here thought about that possibility. That's not normally a rabbit hole I would go down, but I have heard of guys doing that, and as intact as this thing looked, I thought I'd at least look into it. What do you think?

Also, this thing has some kind of little spring reverb unit in it as well. Think anything cool or useful could be made with that?

I'll post pics below. What do you think? Waste of time? or is there anything here worth pursuing?

IMG_9250.JPG

IMG_9251.JPG

The amp section:

IMG_9260.JPG

The underside:

IMG_9275.JPG

Transformers:

IMG_9270.JPG

IMG_9271.JPG

IMG_9272.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

the reverb unit:

IMG_9253.JPG

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

We'd likely need some closer pics of the tubes to tell what they are. I've had some Motorola-branded stuff that are Tung-Sol. Look for the EIA codes on the base of the power tubes and rectifier tubes, which will tell you the name of the actual manufacturer. I can see some numbers on the bottom of the 5U4GB, but I can't make out what they are from this pic. The "Made in Great Britain" 12AX7's are likely Mullards.

3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

See below...

Rectifier:

IMG_9290.JPG

6V6's

IMG_9284.JPG

EL84's

IMG_9286.JPG

Preamps

IMG_9289.JPG
    IMG_9285.JPG IMG_9288.JPG

Others

IMG_9287.JPG

emisilly likes this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Better shot of 5U4

IMG_9292.JPG

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

The 5U4GB is an RCA. The 6V6GT's are 1960's Tung-Sol black plates. The first two 12AX7's are RCA 12AX7A's. The "Made in Great Britain" one is a Mullard I-63 type ECC83. I'd say you did very well, provided that they have any life in them. They're all good tubes. I don't know anything about EL84's.

dannyh likes this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Also... there was this PCB looking thing floating around inside loose...Think this is part of the original unit or a stray piece that got put inside at some point? Found two packages of picks in it too lol, so i guess anythings possible...

IMG_9257.jpg

7. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Nice score! That stout power transformer alone is worth the effort. Did that console stereo actually come with reverb? I didn't even know they did that! Judging by the relays and what looks like an op-amp, I'd say the circuit board in the last pic is newer than the rest of the console. Maybe someone tried adding an aux input and the relays are for switching? Then again the terminals labeled "C-Y-GC" etc. remind me of my thermostat wiring, so who knows.
    I'd say you've got the all makings of a very respectable guitar amp there sir!

dannyh likes this.
  8. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

HAH! That's a fan control board from a Bryant/Carrier furnace.

Wally, JayFreddy and dannyh like this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Cool, so it’s got ac too....[emoji16]

Wally and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Definitely a high marking score there.

On preamp tubes go beyond made in GB and look for Philips factory code etching at bottom. See right tube.

Like these I have, the code along bottom starts with "r", that points to Ottawa CA as production plant. Grey plate so grey plate probably 65' (5 in code) A1 revision code. I65 above is tube type. All show signs of yellow tips, painting tips was a way of designating higher performing tubes during testing.

[​IMG]

Here's fronts, exact same design as Holland tubes, just assembled in Canada.

They were sold to electrohome who put their ink on them. They could have just as easily been a batch from Heerlen, Holland, you know the ones audiophiles pay $200 and up for a single tube. They bought them from Philips as a supplier, where Philips got tubes that they fulfilled that order with was luck of the draw.

[​IMG]

Their basically Canadian made Amperex, their big and boisterous but never fatiguing. Really in the top 2-3 tubes I've ever found for guitar. They are a tiny bit more raw/lively than Holland ones I've got.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    dannyh likes this.
  11. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

That circuit board is a Carrier Bryant furnace fan control board. Did a Google search on the HH84AA part number, and the terminal strip designations across the bottom look like furnace control wiring color codes; the relays also look like they belong on a control board.
    It might be worth something on ebay

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    SSL9000J likes this.
  12. Mr BC

Mr BC Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Man, when stereos were substantial furniture..... I'm 44 so they are a little before my time. But I remember having something like that in the house. I remember my parents getting an adapter to play cassettes in the 8 track player. And I remember a decent amount if vinyl, too. Oh, if I could go back in time and get myself interested in this stuff earlier...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.