New Pickups for Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Frank Bullitt, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Frank Bullitt

Frank Bullitt NEW MEMBER!

Hey everybody,

I've got myself a Fender Modern Player Telecaster, and I'm looking to upgrade the pickups, but I have a few questions and I need a bit of help.

I'm looking at getting a Fender Texas special Tele neck pickup, and a Fender Texas Special Strat pickup in the middle. Is this a good idea? Will I be able to get hum cancelling and correct polarity?

Secondly, if I install a treble bleed circuit, and use these hot pickups, will I be able to get a good clean enough tone for Jazz by turning down the volume?

And thirdly, what pickup should I get for the bridge? I'm looking ideally for something that matches this combo, but I'd love something to make good use of that coil split and that gives me a bit more of an authentic Tele twang.

Thanks so much in advance,
    Frank.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a modern player once and it was a great guitar. But I wouldn't spend the money for good pickups, so it got traded off.

I've had good luck with Sunday Handwound pickups (you can find him on Reverb). I wish I could go back and have him wind me a set. Tim can voice them how you like and wind them to hum-cancel and split. And match, for that matter. Just hit him up on Reverb. I wish I would've done something like that for mine.

You can also try piecing it all together from different sets. I expect you'll need to make sure you get the right Texas special strat wind to make sure it hum cancels with the Tele neck pickup. But I don't have the experience with those to tell you which one to get.

I'd recommend something low output for the bridge, like a vintage spec's PAF. And I'd try wiring it for series and parallel.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Frank Bullitt and RoscoeElegante like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.