New pickups for a 1986/7 MIJ Tele?

Phil UK tele

TDPRI Member
Hi - first post! I’m thinking of upgrading the pick ups in my 1986/7 MIJ Tele and was looking for some advice as to what would work well. I like the pups in my new American Performer but don’t want to replicate the same sound with this guitar… also would the neck pup position take a humbucker without too much modification? Mainly play country/blues. Great guitar, just lacking in power. Thanks in advance
21CE8A50-3917-4F0E-B6DA-C322BD1B4547.jpeg

Kamen_Kaiju

TDPRI Member
I guess everyone will have a different idea (or favorite) or pickups they like.

Lately I've really been wanting to try out a set of Dimarzio Twang-King pickups in one of my Teles. .. but I like the pickups that are in my Teles already and don't really need to swap any out.

I just want to try them because they sound really good in youtube demos.

I'm sure everyone will recommend a different set though. Such is the nature of guitar. Everyone likes different stuff.

53Strat

Tele-Meister
Nice looking Telecaster.
More power and great Tele tone don't always go hand in hand.
For me, Custom Shop twisted Tele set are powerful and balanced.
Lollar Vintage T's are my selection for real tele tone with great balance particularly with a 4 way switch.
But you'll get heaps of suggestions, just try not to get caught in the "flavour of the month" hype.

Phil UK tele

TDPRI Member
Nice looking Telecaster.
More power and great Tele tone don't always go hand in hand.
For me, Custom Shop twisted Tele set are powerful and balanced.
Lollar Vintage T's are my selection for real tele tone with great balance particularly with a 4 way switch.
But you'll get heaps of suggestions, just try not to get caught in the "flavour of the month" hype.
Good advice, thank you