1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Pickup Day

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zippofan, Jan 15, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I recently ordered a "super special sale" pickup from Zhangbucker for my Ibanez Talman neck position. My Talman is the Tele style, and I had a Duncan Quarter Pounder in there, thinking at the time that it would be a good match for the overwound DiMarzio Pre B-1 bridge pickup (that I really like). I was wrong, the QP wasn't a good match, and just too dark for my taste. I didn't want a particularly twangy neck position or I would have gotten a Twang King to keep it in the DiMarzio family. Fast forward a bit, I was playing it and frustrated with the neck. I thought of ordering a Rose Freedom or something from Bootstrap though not sure what, and then I got a newsletter from Zhangbucker. He had a bunch of different style Tele necks ready to go, usually he does custom winds from quite a few different models. I love his pickups in my Squier 51 so I thought what the heck. It's a GREAT pickup!

43awg, Alnico 3 mags wound to 7K, no cover, black twine over the coil. It blends nicely with the DiMarzio bridge, albeit a different phase. I am very pleased with this pickup, and it wasn't expensive either which appeals to my inner cheapskate.
    Talman 2021.jpg

Now I have the bug again, and just ordered a set of Bootstrap Buckers - Vintage Cleans for my Epiphone Wilshire LOL.

uriah1 and DeepDangler like this.
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Glad you like it! I use a full set of Quarter Pounders in my tele. The QP neck is really different from the other QPs. It’s just a dark and powerful pickup that’s designed to balance with the monstrous QP tele bridge.

Any other mods planned for the Talman?

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I put a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyon in a strat once. It sounded great. Had a coil tap, which I wired to a three-way just for fun. It was cool.

zippofan likes this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The only other mod I did to it was change out the original saddles for some GFS steel block saddles. The electronics weren't great, but that's my main thing to upgrade on most any guitar I get. This one got Bourns pots, PIO tone cap, Oak Grigsby switch, and a Switchcraft jack, which are my standard mods. It's a decently built guitar, with an alder body, locking tuners, satin finish neck/fingerboard, and a contoured heel. Nice touches for a guitar that I got new for <$250.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.