1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New pickguard and knobs for 72 Telecaster Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telefan33, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I ordered a new pickguard from WD Music for my 72 Telecaster Deluxe. Anybody else use them before? I also ordered some chrome dome knobs for the same guitar from Mojotone. Anyone using dome knobs on their 72 Telecaster Deluxe?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I have WD guards on my Duosonic and Mustang. The DS I had to modify the bridge, because they didn't have one that fit exactly, but one screw hole was off by like 5mm.
    The mustang one I had to go with them, as they had one specifically for the Pawn Shop Special.
    Got new pickups soldered on, new switch, go to attach guard, theres a quarter inch gap between edge of guard and control plate.

So i looked on Reverb at completed listings of the same guitar with non-stock pickgaurds. Same thing.

Hopefully the tele deluxe being more common wont have that problem.

Telefan33 likes this.
  3. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I don't see why a 72 Telecaster Deluxe RI MIM pickguard wouldn't fit if they say it would? I keep hearing similar stories to what you just told me. I'm hoping this still works out though.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure they have sold more deluxe RI guards than random offsets, so it should be fine.
    Other companies make them, so they have reason to get them right.

The dome knobs should look nice.

Telefan33 likes this.
  5. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I decided to also get another pickguard from Ebay in the original color I wanted who mentioned it should work. Should arrive next week. Fingers crossed.

6. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

I recommend the guards from Stratosphere. I have them on several guitars, and the holes always seem to line up. The one time they sent the wrong one, they replaced it immediately.
    Great customer service and shipping speed.

7. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I bought a pickguard from Stratosphere for my 72 Custom and it didn’t fit. Later bought one from WD and, although it was significantly more money, it fit perfectly. The white pearloid looks fantastic.

With the Customs (and I’m assuming the Deluxes as well) the screw holes don’t line up between the vintage American, CIJ, or MIM models. So you have to know exactly which one you’re buying for. WD lists this.

8. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I’m going to wait until I receive both pickguards so I can compare and go with what works or which I prefer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.