New pic of the "twins" with makeovers

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mkdaws32, Sep 18, 2020.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This is a pic of my Lite Ash Strat and Lite Ash Tele, as they are today. They are both 2004 models, according to the serial numbers, but I was sure the Tele was 2003 before I checked.

The Tele has a GFS Hot Lead Alnico Overwound pickup in the Bridge position and a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck. Gibson Speed knobs and Fender vintage threaded steel saddles also installed. And of course, a Tort pickguard :)

The Strat has the original SD Alnico II Pro pickups in the neck and middle positions (one of my favorite single coil models) and a Vineham T-Banger with steel baseplate custom wound to 11K in the bridge position. They match very well and this makes the bridge position a lot less "polite", LOL! Knobs and pickup covers changed to aged white, roller string trees installed (I float the vibrato), and again, a Tort pickguard.

I've been working on three other guitar projects lately, so when I have more done, I'll do a full family photo. But for now, here's the twins!

Lite Ash Twins.jpg

gitold, Treehouse, Blue Bill and 23 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They both look great!

Tonetele and mkdaws32 like this.
  3. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet looking pair

mkdaws32 likes this.
  4. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Nice guitars!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister

Love natty ash

Working on one now

Attached Files:

Tonetele and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. mkdaws32

Nice! I have my next 4 projects lined up in various stages of completeness - next one is almost finished. But I’m thinking the 5th one will be Dragon Tele inspired. I don’t know why I want one, but I do!

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My Lite Ash has been my #1 Tele for years now. I like the tort on yours. I changed my pickguard to parchment with a semi-matching Strat switch tip.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

They are amazing guitars - a real steal at the time they were available too. I got my Tele used for $350 a few years ago - had the Strat new since 2004 so it was nice to find a deal on the matching Tele.

I was inspired by a natural ash Jazz Bass a friend has. It had the tort guard with a maple neck and I just loved the way the whole thing looked.

9. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Very cool. Nice setup.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

nice twins!

newbie here, question: is "light ash" in reference to color, weight, or a specie of ash?

thank you
    d

mkdaws32 likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

lite Ash Strats and Teles were special edition Fenders made to spec for Fender in the Cort factory in Korea only in 2003 and 2004. They were priced between the Mexican Standards and the American Standards. They came in a few Colors but all had USA Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups, Birdseye maple necks and abolone shell fret markers. The Teles had a vintage bridge with brass saddles and the Strats has a modern 2-point trem with block saddles and a brass block. Phenomenal guitars.

I’m not sure what kind of ash they are. Some Asian species maybe? Looks like ash but heavier than swamp ash and not as heavy as northern ash, in my opinion.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

they would have matched nicely with my 60's jag nice matched set BTW

K2.jpg

Blue Bill and mkdaws32 like this.
  13. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

that definitely all sounds extra special. thanks for replying and the info, I'm learning new things here every day.
    d

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. marymurrah

marymurrah TDPRI Member

they were made between 2004 and 2009, with a strat re-issue in 2012. Approximately 5,400 were made :) just supplying extra info provided by Fender customer service to me via email. Cheers!

15. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Meister

The twins look great.
    I am the original owner of a 2004 Lite Ash Tele.
    All original, except for locking tuners.

I love this guitar, and feel it can go toe to toe with Teles
    cost two or three times its original price, which was $569 (2004 dollars) at the now closed Legends Guitars in Tampa.

It has spoiled me for most other Teles.

(especially with a birds eye maple neck)

Edit: Internet pic, mine is exactly like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  16. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Nice team! I too am in an exclusive tortoise relationship

Attached Files:

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

WOW! Beautiful guitars!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Ahhhh, twins...
    IMG_20200907_124207.jpg
    IMG_20200906_115447.jpg

Blue Bill and MAXXFIELD like this.
  19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I'm not entirely sure where, but I'm darn certain I read somewhere that they're made from swamp ash. You're right about getting them for a steal, too. Nabbed mine for about $390 or somewhere right around that mark a few years back and it's been my favorite since. Here's mine, bone stock save for a new nut, Graphtech trees, and Gotoh In-Tune saddles:

IMG_20201001_012052945~2.jpg

I also emailed Fender a while back out of curiosity about the Lite Ash models and here's what they shot back to me:

LiteAsh.png

They were actually made at the Cort factory through sometime in 2006, as far as what I've read. And this info from Fender confirms they were made well after that, that latter of which were made in Indonesia in a new Cort-owned factory, if memory serves. Info on these is kind of hard to come by regarding that side of things, but there's a few posts floating around different boards regarding there being both earlier (and supposedly somewhat superior) Korean models and later Indonesian models, with the pictures of serials and MiK or MiI stamps to go along with it. It's an interesting model that's just out in the wild and not very well-known, waiting to be snapped up.

20. mkdaws32

Thanks for the extra info, I thought these special editions were replace by the Korean Koa Special Edition series in 2005, but I did not do any deep research into that.

Honestly, I always liked the blonde better - I was not a huge fan of the natural ash look, but natural was the only color my local shop had the Strat in at the time and it played so well I didn't want to take a chance on ordering another color. The natural look grew on me quite quickly, though, and when the opportunity came up years later to get the matching Tele, it was a no brainer! Beautiful specimen you have there!

Nice pair there! I like the black on silver!

Could be swamp ash, but mine feel heavier than most swamp ash guitars I've tried. Mine could just be denser, though. Yep - mine are definately made in the Korean Cort factory - I did check that mucch out!

Cysquatch and marymurrah like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.