New phone, no headphone jack. How to listen in the car?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
phone to car fm transmitter
These actually work pretty well; I have one squirreled away somewhere. Just open your favorite streaming service or YouTube and turn on your car radio to the unused FM broadcast channel that the transmitter uses. Your phone needs a physical headphone jack, though.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
If one of the car stereos has a USB port, use a thumb drive or USB cable. The USB port must be there for a reason. This is my preferred method. I despise Bluetooth. If one of the stereos will play MP3 CDs, they can hold a sh!?load of songs on a single disc.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have two cars that don't have bluetooth stereos. I got a new phone and I like to put music on it and now cannot connect to the 1/8" jack in the car. One car has a USB port on the face, is there a USB bluetooth receiver device I can insert that will connect to the phone?

The other car seems a little more hopeless. There does seem to be a bluetooth receiver that will output on a 1/8" jack, so I could connect it that way, but then I'd have to power the USB from the cigarette lighter, which is a wonky fit. I'd be better off replacing the stereo. (Or wearing my bluetooth headphones which is what I did yesterday).
Sounds like a newer iPhone. I deal with this all the time for my job. If so, you can buy a headphone dongle that is configured USB C to 1/8" TRS. Or...you can get a BT stereo for each vehicle.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I just broke down and ordered this. I couldn't get the stereo in the car to read MP3 off the USB drive when I tested it. I had little hope for an add on bluetooth receiver for that port. Let's see how this does.

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Nah, it's an android. Works great with the headset on my motorcycle, etc. I just need a way for the car to pick up the phone on the stereo.

Agreed, car stereos are pretty cheap these days but I'm looking for the lowest cost laziest solution.
They make the same adapter for abdroids

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
To those that recommended headphones/earbuds, I feel really disconnected from driving when I do this... Enough so that I worry about missing something around me.

Ive used one of the things that Belair Player linked. It was not an excellent fix due to having two cables, but it did work well.

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sumpin' like this.

Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver for Car

1654614766158.png

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah, but you also get a cigarette lighter USB charger. I have a 2 porter in my truck, so I can share the charge.

FTR, even if vehicles have a USB port, I don't like them for charging my phone. They try to connect into the factory phone apps, no matter what I set the defaults to. But I do like the USB ports, as I keep a USB thumb drive with all my MP3 albums on it. I can use my phone or the thumb drive to listen to tunes. I charge my phone with the cigarette lighter charger.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I pulled out the old Kenwood with the USB jack and 1/8 input and installed the Alpine with Bluetooth. It's all better. USB will work with a thumb drive full of stuff I pulled off the PC and the bluetooth will stream podcasts and pandora from the phone. The install was.so easy as Crutchfield sends a kit. Even the plastic shell to hold the radio in was a snap. (Im fact the Kenwood must have come from Crutchfield as the plastic was the same shell).

After I audition this radio for a while, I might put it in my flat6 as well.

I also learned this car has no rear speakers. Ha!