New phone, no headphone jack. How to listen in the car?

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I have two cars that don't have bluetooth stereos. I got a new phone and I like to put music on it and now cannot connect to the 1/8" jack in the car. One car has a USB port on the face, is there a USB bluetooth receiver device I can insert that will connect to the phone?

The other car seems a little more hopeless. There does seem to be a bluetooth receiver that will output on a 1/8" jack, so I could connect it that way, but then I'd have to power the USB from the cigarette lighter, which is a wonky fit. I'd be better off replacing the stereo. (Or wearing my bluetooth headphones which is what I did yesterday).

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Small bluetooth speaker?
Keep it on a USB car charger?
JBL makes one about the size of a pack of smokes

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
If it's an iphone, they make an adapter that plugs into the thunderbolt (or whatever they call it) charger socket and converts to 1/8 stereo. Don't know about thunderbolt to USB. Some people load music on a thumb drive and then plug that into the car stereo USB. Driving with headphones on sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Worst case: you may need to upgrade one car stereo. It's a hassle but they're cheap now.

kuch

Tele-Holic
I have two cars that don't have bluetooth stereos. I got a new phone and I like to put music on it and now cannot connect to the 1/8" jack in the car. One car has a USB port on the face, is there a USB bluetooth receiver device I can insert that will connect to the phone?

The other car seems a little more hopeless. There does seem to be a bluetooth receiver that will output on a 1/8" jack, so I could connect it that way, but then I'd have to power the USB from the cigarette lighter, which is a wonky fit. I'd be better off replacing the stereo. (Or wearing my bluetooth headphones which is what I did yesterday).
You don't have a bluetooth receiver in your flat six? I have an aftermarket stereo in mine and it works great! Worth the update for music and phone.

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Silver Supporter
my phone is also higher tech than my car...luck my car has a cassette deck and i can get a tape adapter and play my phones music through the cassette player

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If it's an iphone, they make an adapter that plugs into the thunderbolt (or whatever they call it) charger socket and converts to 1/8 stereo. Don't know about thunderbolt to USB. Some people load music on a thumb drive and then plug that into the car stereo USB. Driving with headphones on sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Worst case: you may need to upgrade one car stereo. It's a hassle but they're cheap now.
Both my kids have these. About $10 at Target or Walmart.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
You don't have a bluetooth receiver in your flat six? I have an aftermarket stereo in mine and it works great! Worth the update for music and phone.
No, an old Alpine. It has a CD player though.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, it's an android. Works great with the headset on my motorcycle, etc. I just need a way for the car to pick up the phone on the stereo.

Agreed, car stereos are pretty cheap these days but I'm looking for the lowest cost laziest solution.

boop

Tele-Holic
Since my car CD player died it's been nothing but Cool 95.7 FM. I like scanning the airwaves...

Have you tried plugging your phone directly into the car with the USB? The USB jack just may just support MP3 files from mass storage RTM, but it could work with an Android, for iPhone I wouldn't hold my breath.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Nah, it's an android. Works great with the headset on my motorcycle, etc. I just need a way for the car to pick up the phone on the stereo.

Agreed, car stereos are pretty cheap these days but I'm looking for the lowest cost laziest solution.
Cheapest, laziest solution. You don't need a stereo. Just repeat the lyrics to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" over and over in your head until you arrive at your destination. Problem solved, you're welcome.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, I have an older alpine in mine too, but it has a cd, bluetooth, and mic for phone. It even has an older usb input.
This might be >20 years old. I removed it from my Jeep when I sold it. I don't think bluetooth existed when it was made. It might play LPs. LOL

I'm less concerned with the flat 6 than the other car.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
Simplest solution, an adapter with charging ability:

Not sure if the Amazon link is working. Search “USB c to 3.5mm Headphone and Charger Adapter” on Amazon, or the technology purveyor of your choice.