1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New pedalboard build and some creativity....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jan 16, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

My original pedalboard was home-made out of wood (laying around in the garage,) glue, duralock, spraypaint and a fence gate handle. It had been feeling a bit cramped but I just didn't want to spend the money on a commercial built board - rather spend money elsewhere. Here is the old board and its pre-disassembly mess:

2969B73B-9905-415B-82E3-7507854ADA98_1_201_a.jpeg

A better look at the old board after retirement. Engineering wise, I think I did well enough - the center support with judiciously placed pass-through holes for wires helped a lot with "stomp flex" and cabling, but it was as much a mess below as it was above, my only real lament about it; and that I felt a bit space constrained. The loop switcher moved me into "large board" size, prompting this original board build and I have no regrets, but the switcher takes up pedal space so the board size was necessary (24x18 here.) Too bad that duralock forest on there can't easily be reclaimed....

AF21603B-0872-409E-AE4E-8FFC12440C92_1_201_a.jpeg 796BA96E-5C3C-4EA1-BD89-51747E3179BA_1_201_a.jpeg 2D17F7BB-D870-456B-8A66-C4E70F848D9C.jpeg

I found this pedal train pro (with tour case,) barely used, for about the price of a new boss delay pedal and I just could not pass that up.

689029D9-3070-487F-AF52-83FDD7A1EF86_1_201_a.jpeg

Assembly with this would make things easy but my power supply, a walrus audio phoenix, has no good mounting option for pedaltrain boards, at least that I or sweetwater could find - there is a universal kit but it did not look like it would fit well. So I got a $5 piece of aluminum flat bar and went to work.

D162B958-E399-4367-9EC0-3D6E92368EF8.jpeg EFF2E407-9C09-420A-9FBA-4F75D5B7C3F8_1_201_a.jpeg

A pair of vice grips functioned as my aluminum brake and the rest was pretty simple. The bends and cuts aren't stellar, but they are close enough and it is tight. I have dura-lock between the bottom edge of the supply and the board itself, so it shouldn't be going anywhere. In the old board, it was mounted with double-sided tape and plastic hvac hanger strap with lathe screws - I was using what I had in the garage.

My main concern here is the pedal power cables plugging in while it was mounted in place - didn't think I had room at first but it is just enough for them to get in there. I like the PS but I wish they spaced the jacks a bit more - those plugs are tight against each other when it is fully used.

Thought I'd share the project....maybe someone finds something useful....will post a few more pictures on the thread as it comes further together.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good!

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work!

bluesholyman likes this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations on your new board.

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I love your board. The custom nature and sporadic layout makes it unique. I’m boring with my boards and go for uniformity at the cost of versatility.

What is that massive black switch box for? Would it not be easier to just use the pedals normally on a smaller board?

bluesholyman likes this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Top tip. Strips of Velcro hook and loop can tidy cables away

4D02EA7C-D156-42F2-B362-836823A25B76.jpeg

PigBoy, bluesholyman and hdvades like this.
  8. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

1E9726CA-FC78-450D-9CE5-B815F150AB95.jpeg Not only are we chasing tone, but cool layouts also, trying to maximize every bit of space we can. I don’t have the loop switcher, so I put my most used pedals in the front row or on 1x lumber so I can easily access what I need.

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hmmm, interesting. I'm getting ready to replace a few pedals and reorganize my board. I've always kept pedals in the same order as the signal path... is that normal? Or do y'all tend to organize by most frequently-used pedals up front? Or is there another method to the madness?

RockinforJesus likes this.
  10. bluesholyman

Progress thus far....1st pass - some rearranging still to do...

Definitely more room, but cabling still a bit messy at the moment. The large right angle plugs (easily seen on the Dual Overdrive / SD-2 ) make placement and neatness a little more difficult - have to leave room for them. That will be my next upgrade - all low profile plugs/cables. I am thinking I will buy an assortment of all pre-made low/flat profile patch cables, but I wouldn't mind reusing the mogami 2314 currently on the board - just need to find the right plugs, solderless would be great, but I'll break out the iron if I have to.

The most important addition to the board is docked on the Aluminum Falcon (that klon looking pedal, bottom right) It now holds a Millenium Falcon bottle opener - this allows me to get my finger runs under 10 parsecs...

Still need to load up the Fat Sandwich and I have power/loop for one more pedal - deciding who/what that will be or if it remains open as the guest spot. Board has 11 loops, 15 power feeds.

Fox catcher (signal start) and Aluminum Falcon are all pre-loop as I leave them on most of the time - I occasionally have to turn one or the other off if a fuzz pedal complains, but it conveniently allows two more pedals on the looper as well.

2823A355-E99A-4D17-A2A9-2FB4BE09761B_1_201_a.jpeg

Mouth and DeepDangler like this.
  11. bluesholyman

It is a programmable loop switcher. I can use it to turn pedals (each loop) on/off individually, much like you would do with just individual pedals. The programmable aspect of it is that I can change modes (footswitch, far bottom right of switcher, blue pill is single pedals, red pill is presets) and turn on/off banks of pedals - just a way of doing presets, but I can actually program which groups of pedals turn on for any of 11 presets, which is plenty for me.

One could buy something like a boss gt-1000, line6 helix, etc., and achieve the exact same thing, functionally. I found that I prefer to use individual pedals as it gave me more flexibility and allowed me to choose what I want for overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, etc., and not be limited to what the multi-fx designer dreamed up.

I have tried multi-fx before and while they can sound quite good, they did not inspire me. While this is more complicated, and more costly, the flexibility to me is worth it.

Full disclosure: I found the loop switcher for a stupid price used - I don't think I would have considered it otherwise. Having done that now, I can't go back - I won't. If that unit dies and can't be fixed reasonably, it will get replaced with a GigRig or the like.

12. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

Lay out your board in the easiest way to access the most used pedals and put less used ones toward the back, or buy the loop switcher to turn on/off your individual pedals and put each pedal wherever they fit best.

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an Ernie Ball Jr vol pedal and love it, but it takes up a massive amount of real estate. It has an outsized importance when it comes to laying out a board.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That programable looper would actually allow you to simplify your board a lot just by stowing a lot of the pedals where you don't find yourself changing the settings on. They can run under a board or in a compartment and just leave the pedals that you tweek a lot on top of the board, ala That Pedal Show. Wish I had one of those, but not enough to pay the going rate for them. ha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.