New pedal,still in box, all paperwork, never played, had it for 1 week only....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Apr 20, 2013.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Does this alarm anyone else. I see this on CL and Ebay a lot. Seller has something for sale and list it as brand new with all paperwork, boxes and only 1/2 weeks old, never used (why did they buy it then). They are selling it below retail/street price. I've always wondered "if it so new and only 1/2 weeks old just take it back for a refund'. I guess I'm missing something or I'm just too suspicious.

2. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

You never know, gotta play it by ear.
    I got a new in box Dunlop volume pedal for $40 off CL. But there are scams on there.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe grubbing a ride back to GC to get something else is not a good option? Lots of possible things could be going on. Another is telling the ole lady you are just swapping stuff and not spending household cash on gear, like that ever happens.

I sold a bike recently I took in trade. I already had a better carbon bike from a more known brand, so did not need two. It was ridden a few times litterally. I simply said in the ad, ridden only a few times, which was true. I did not say by whom, but if asked would have disclosed. Was not asked, and I did test ride it before I traded...

Nothing wonky, it was a like new bike the guy bought for less than 1/2 what it would cost to get a new one. So not always wonky deals even though on the surface it may look funky I guess...

4. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm usually dubious of this sort of activity too. I've seen it a lot with pedals like the Timmy. Would rather buy direct from a reputable dealer or the manufacturer

5. robt57

Tims, Timmy, Zens are easy to get sold fast regardless of the story. A lot of us don't have that kind of coin and one available at the same time it seems. ;)

6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I can understand this on eBay, but on CL, you're going to have the thing in your hands and actually test it, so claims of newness are somewhat irrelevant. I guess it's someone's version of salesmanship.

It's best to ignore this stuff, as it's subjective at best, especially if there are no photos. I don't even bother with stuff with no photos, or bad cellphone photos. Another one will come along soon.

Bottom line: If it's pre-owned, it's *used*. Show me a decent photo and I can figure out for myself just how much. Don't need the ad copy.

7. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

There are a lot of people who frequent the TGP who make pedal swapping a hobby. They buy lots and lots of pedals, keep the few they absolutely love and sell/trade off the rest.

Those with even more cash do this with amps.

8. robt57

Granted, but less significant part of the equation for a Tim/Timmy VS a Boss SD-1. ;)

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a BBE Windowpane and after one try I knew it wasn't for me. I put in the classifieds to see if someone here might be interested. No one was, so I pulled it and I'm returning it for a refund.

That's my only experience with a new pedal I wasn't happy with. Maybe some of these pedals are grey market or forgeries?

10. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I remember that classified. It might have inspired this thread HaHaHa:D

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it may have! :lol:

12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

they probably bought it from someone who had just bought it themselves and sold it. Now they cant return it but its still technically "like new"

13. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Twice I've won things in contests that I sold as new online, but I always said that I won it in a contest and don't need it.

14. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

quick, what's the powerball numbers for wednesday? :lol:

15. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

No such luck - they are literally the only things I've ever won on a random draw in my life. One was a wireless mic from a year end poll that was completely useless to me and the other was a just a 5 pack of string sets in the wrong guage.....hardly powerball type winnings.

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You're too suspicious, telefunken. That said, it IS best to err on the side of caution, if you're not sure.

Ads, such as the one you mention, do not, by their nature, raise any flags with me. Speaking for myself, there have been plenty of times that I have purchased gear based upon reputation alone, soley because that piece of gear was not available for a local demo, and I live within twenty minutes of a Sam Ash, Guitar Center and Best Buys!

You have to use all of your senses (no, I'm not kidding, all of them), along with a good dose of common sense, and you'll be able to sniff out most snake oil salesmen. And if it sounds too good to be true? Well, you know the rest...

17. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

It'd tell me that the seller drank some advertising Kool-Aid or internet hype and found that he/she hates the pedal.:lol:

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I've listed on eBay like that...I have 100% feedback, so obviously it hasn't been a problem and I haven't been lying.

Sounds silly, but sometimes I buy from a local store and feel bad about returning things. I have no problem returning to GC, but hate to burden a local merchant with returns.

19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

with pedal transactions via CL where i have to meet someone at a neutral site, i always take a 9v and a 1/4" plug so i can make sure it at least lights up.

like new in box with original paperwork is good news to me. ymmv

20. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

The seller possibly took it in on a trade knowing it was something he/she could flip quickly. Or the seller is full of crap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.