New Pedal Day (NPD) - Source Audio Atlas Compressor

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Just arrived off the FedEX truck, haven't even taking it all the way out of the box yet, nor have I plugged it in...
Atlas Just Arrived - 7-5-22sm.jpg

First, I am more than just a big fan of the Source Audio (SA) One Series of guitar effects.

There are several reasons. The first way they impressed me was by having beyond amazing customer service, more on that later. The main eason is that in a day when so many effects require immense butt time with a manual, they make effects that are deep and tweakable, but made for the rest of us that for their whole life have loved pedals with a couple knobs, plug it in out of the box, turn a couple knobs... voils. No manual required... That's me to a T... You'll never catch me dinking around with a Line 6 anything, or a Boss multi-something, etc, etc. I hate reading, I don't learn by reading (It's not my learning style) ... well you get my drift if you've been there. If you're not 60 years old like me, and you are way far into techie stuff, my hats off to you but it's way way NOT for me.

All of the SA One Series can be fun daddy go baby right out of the box, no manual necessary on day one. I have almost all of their One Series pedals now, I've been drooling over and couldn't wait to get my hands on their brand new Atlas Compressor.

OK, so great customer service, easy to use AND deep (with the free Neuro desktop editor)... what else?

With the very easy to use Neuro desktop editor (very self-explanatory, I have yet to open even one SA manual)... Each of their pedals comes with additional algorhithms (sounds i.e. other pedals so to speak) inside. For example, their L.A. Lady Overdrive has FIFTY more pedals inside when using the editor. All accessible by a simple drop-down menu... Fuzz, distortion, overdrive, preamps, etc etc... 50 of them.

ALL of the One Series has multiple algorhithms inside. Their Lunar Phase has 12 different algo's inside. In fact it has all of the algo's from their Mercury Flanger and Gemini Chorus, so you buy one pedal, you have all the sounds of all three modulation pedals in this series. With the L.A. Lady, (and the Neuro editor to access them) you get all of the algo's in the Kingmaker Fuzz, and the After Shock Bass Distortion. Or the other way around, buy the Gemini Chorus and get all the mods from the other 2 pedals, or buy the KLingmaker Fuzz and get everything from the L.A. Lady or the Aftershock.

Their Vertigo Tremolo has 24 different tremolo algo's with the free Neuro desktop editor. The Nemesis Delay and Ventris Reverb also have scads of algo's inside, as do the entire One Series line-up

That, my friedn is truly the biggest reason I love these pedals.

Plus the sounds I am finding in the SA ne Series are awesome right out of the box. I have a Boss GT-1 all-in-one board and the sounds are weak right out of the box... After I bought the thing and got it home it was a huge and major disappointment... and there is no bypass... you have to spoend butt time with the manual, learn how to do a preset, and make a user preset just to bypass the effects, otherwise the effects are always on... weeee... what dillweed engineer figured that one out... like... how about a double tap on something to get this weak sounding piece of meteal and plastic junk out of the way... (???) (You might have guessed, NOT a fan of anything Boss)...

Here's a scale model I've made using Microsoft Excel of the pedals on my pedalboard. Everything is powered from beneath by a single Strymon Zuma power supply. Also underneath is a GFI System Cabzeus mic/speaker emulator and stereo direct box (velcroed underneath) as well as a Neuro Hub device from Source Audio that allows all of their One Series pedals to be plugged in via MIDI (something I am brand new at, but is there). I'll list the pedals below...

!!Pedalboard 7-5-22 (proposed scale model).jpg

The list (row by row, not in order of signal path):

Pedaltrain Classic 2 Pedalboard

Top Row, L to R:
- Electro-Harmonix 720 Looper
- Source Audio Ventris Reverb
- Source Audio Nemesis Delay
- Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter
- Source Audio Lunar Phaser

Middle Row, L to R:
- Source Audio Vertigo Tremolo
- Source Audio EQ2 Programmable EQ
- Source Audio L.A. Lady Overdrive
- Source Audio Atlas Compressor

Bottom Row, L to R:
- Disaster Area DPC-5 Gen 3 MIDI Controller
- Keeley Mini Katana Boost
- Electro-Harmonix Pitchfork "Polyphonic Pitch Shift Harmony Pedal" (LOL)
- Korg Pitchblack Mini Tuner

With this board I do Praise and Worship music for a Mega church in my area. Every week we have different songs and we are asked to play as close to the original recordings including all effects and such. We have 5 services Sat/Sun and somewhere around 18,000 people visit the church during the services. Here's what we do... Thursday the music director hands out our songs through an online system called "Planning Center". We have that weekend and all next week to practice and learn the songs. Before the first service, we all meet for the first time in a green room. There are multiple people who volunteer for every instrument. I rarely play with the same folks more than once. There is no weekly rehearsals. We are expected to know our parts when we meet. Every week it is a different guitarist, bass player, drummer, keyboardist and group of singers. There are around 25 electric guitar players who rotate in and out every week. A similar amount of other musicians as well.

We tune up, go through the songs one time, then the singers work some on their harmonies. We might play through the songs one more time in the green room. Then we go out on the stage and plug in to the main house system, and we do a sound check. There are no wedge montirs on stage, and their are no guitar or bass amps on stage. Everything is back stage (the bass goes direct) in an isolation cabinet that is miked. We use an Aviom digital monitoring in-ear for montiors, and everyone on stage has a 16-channel personal monitor so they can mix exactly what they want to hear in their ear buds. It's pretty cool. The idea is that this gives the sound engineer the best control over the stage volume... everything is going out front and each musician and singer hears themself in the ear buds.

A couple of the guys have the Line 6 Helix boards but after hearing them tell when they first got them that for ohne song it took about 3 hours to figure out the patches (plus butt time to read the manual)... I was sure that wasn't going to be me.

This next picture is an older one of the back of my pedalboard. In the upper right corner is the GFI System Cabzeus. It exits in stereo via 2 x balnaced XLR connectors. In fact all of the Source Audio pedals are stereo. Even the looper I have is stereo... I simply Velcro the Cabzeus to the bottom side of my board and the XLRs match up to the rails on the back of the Pedaltrain Classic 2 board.

The Strymon Zuma power supply is also Velcroed on, but Strymon's engineering and size leave a bit to be desired IMHO. As (IMHO) the Pedaltrain boards are some of the most common, it seems like thay would have learned from VoodooLab that the size of the PSU could match the space between the rails on the back of a Pedaltrian board. With the VoodooLab unit, it matches perfectly for the power supply. Velcro it under a Pedaltrain board, done. And it never comes off... But with the Zuma, I had to make a 3-5/8 x 5-5/8" piece of plyswood to Velcro underneath the Zuma to get the Zuma's power connector to the wall outlet to match up. Of course Strymon will sell you a $20 gadget that you screw in withy power tools, etc... but I use my ZAuma on more than one board, so just peeling off the Velcro is a lot easier than unscrewing, then re-screwing, then unscrewing, and re-screwing... Besies I am severaly mechanically challenged, and I don't bid so well with power tools or hand tools. Velcro is my best friend. And it DOES NOT come off. I've used Velcro on the underside of my pedalboards to hold extra doo-dads for a long long time and never had it come off. Best to use the Industrial Strength version

One thing that isn't in this picture is my SA Neuro Hub. It is currently Velcroed to the left of the Zuma, it has the connections to plug the smaller SA One Series (such as the size of the Atlas Compressor) into the MIDI controller.

Here's an older pic of the underside... the little squares are computer cable anchors I bought at a computer store, I stick them everywhere and use small zip tiues to keep my paych cables tidy underneath...

Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

I did have a Diamond CPR-1 Compressor, which I thought was the best compressor ever. I got into a major financial bind during 2020/Covid and a lot of my gear and guiutars got sold off. Now Diamond is out of business and their compressors are going for stupid prices on Reverb... Thus I thought since I love Source Audio, I'd give theiur brand new Atlas Compressor a whirl.

So here the Atlas sits, haven't even fully taken it out of the bix yet... and it was my muse to write all this pedal stuff and Source Audio love...

Now to go jam and make some music with it...

Weeeeeeee

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Jas Obrecht (Guitar Player Magazine) was my English Comp instructor in college (Washtenaw Community College, Ann Arbor, MI). He encouraged all of his students to write about what they love, and if possible submit their work to a publication "on spec"... meaning they (the magazine) read your work, it's given that it is intellectual property, then a guy can make like $700-800 bucks per article writing about what he loves...

I do tend to get a bit wordy, but it comes from a passion to write, and express what little grain of brain matter that lives between my ears :)

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
EQ2 is wonderful. I use it on my board instead of a volume pedal and tuner with presets for every guitar I have. And the C4 is awesome. Have a Collider too.
FYI Robert Smith (owner) is really active on a couple other guitar and bass forums so if you ever have a tricky question he responds directly.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
First, I am more than just a big fan of the Source Audio
Me too - I have a Nemesis locked onto my primary studio board. More versatile than Wampler units and lower noise.

Two other great/small companies - Chase Bliss, who make normal looking pedals with 20 DIP switches on the back; and my current buddies at Coppersound, who make the Triplegraph "octave"designed with Third Man and Jack White - low and separate high octave (latching, momentary and octave ONLY) and a center "stutter" pedal or momentary effects loop. I have owned a dozen octave pedals - this is the only one that tracks perfectly.

Both also provide incredible service and answer emails/messages in minutes.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Source Audio makes good stuff. I had the Nemesis delay but ended up with way too many delays and traded it from something. Sounded great though.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
As far as use (so far) here's how I've got her plugged in... really no time to expound into Star Trek proportions... but it is a really smooth and nive sounding pedal (sorry no recording gear at this end, so there won't be any recordings)...

I basically took it out of the box, center toggled, 12-o'clocked, except for ratio... turned that to about 2 o'clock for more squish... here's what happens (in text/words woop dee doo)

I am currently using an Epiphone Les Paul Modern figured. A fantastic featured guitar if I do say so. I like guitars with switchy things, and this one has a bunch. Push/pulls on each volume for coil split, and another push/pull on the neck pup tone for out-of-phase when the toggle is in the middle position. This switching gives a total of 12 different sounds in one guitar. Plus the volume pots have treble bleeds so that adds to the fun when adjusting the volume.

Basically you got this...

- bridge PU normal
- bridge PU coil split
- neck PU normal
- neck PU coil split

middle toggle:

- bridge and neck normal
- bridge coil split / neck normal
- bridge normal / neck coil split
- bridge and neck both coil split

neck tone pot/out-of-phase (OOP) switch (pulled up)

- bridge and neck normal (OOP)
- bridge coil split / neck normal (OOP)
- bridge normal / neck coil split (OOP)
- bridge and neck both coil split (OOP)

When the guitar is in coil split or OOP, there is a slight decrease in volume from when the push/pulls are down (off). So far the thing I am using the Atlas Compressor for is to level out all those different amplitudes/volume levels to one smooth volume. If I want a little more of something, then I click on my Keeley Mini Katana boost, if that's what I want.

I caught it on sale for $20 off, so I bit... as I needed a simple clean boost.

So as far as a simple compressor and a ho-hum of just trying one thing so far, it works great. It's whisper quiet and stays out of the path by not adding any noise.

If you want audio samples, there are plenty out there on YouTube already... This one by Source Audio goes pretty in depth about the features... kind of a one stop YouTube...

I'd love to see Source Audio put out a multi-modulation pedal in the Nemesis/Ventris case... that would be the three-pete competitor of the Strymon reverb/delay/modulation, and the Boss 500 or 200 series...

It might look something like this....... (mockup by Niko at SA)
MOCKUP (by Niko).jpg

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
so >>> northernguitar, are you purposely stalking my posts to troll and glorp?... just wondering... 3 or more posts being a semi-dick in this same post... I guess you want drama, not real reviews... just sayin'...
Seriously? There was no review, that’s what I’m waiting for.

mikecorey

TDPRI Member
Just arrived off the FedEX truck, haven't even taking it all the way out of the box yet, nor have I plugged it in...
View attachment 1001243

First, I am more than just a big fan of the Source Audio (SA) One Series of guitar effects.

There are several reasons. The first way they impressed me was by having beyond amazing customer service, more on that later. The main eason is that in a day when so many effects require immense butt time with a manual, they make effects that are deep and tweakable, but made for the rest of us that for their whole life have loved pedals with a couple knobs, plug it in out of the box, turn a couple knobs... voils. No manual required... That's me to a T... You'll never catch me dinking around with a Line 6 anything, or a Boss multi-something, etc, etc. I hate reading, I don't learn by reading (It's not my learning style) ... well you get my drift if you've been there. If you're not 60 years old like me, and you are way far into techie stuff, my hats off to you but it's way way NOT for me.

All of the SA One Series can be fun daddy go baby right out of the box, no manual necessary on day one. I have almost all of their One Series pedals now, I've been drooling over and couldn't wait to get my hands on their brand new Atlas Compressor.

OK, so great customer service, easy to use AND deep (with the free Neuro desktop editor)... what else?

With the very easy to use Neuro desktop editor (very self-explanatory, I have yet to open even one SA manual)... Each of their pedals comes with additional algorhithms (sounds i.e. other pedals so to speak) inside. For example, their L.A. Lady Overdrive has FIFTY more pedals inside when using the editor. All accessible by a simple drop-down menu... Fuzz, distortion, overdrive, preamps, etc etc... 50 of them.

ALL of the One Series has multiple algorhithms inside. Their Lunar Phase has 12 different algo's inside. In fact it has all of the algo's from their Mercury Flanger and Gemini Chorus, so you buy one pedal, you have all the sounds of all three modulation pedals in this series. With the L.A. Lady, (and the Neuro editor to access them) you get all of the algo's in the Kingmaker Fuzz, and the After Shock Bass Distortion. Or the other way around, buy the Gemini Chorus and get all the mods from the other 2 pedals, or buy the KLingmaker Fuzz and get everything from the L.A. Lady or the Aftershock.

Their Vertigo Tremolo has 24 different tremolo algo's with the free Neuro desktop editor. The Nemesis Delay and Ventris Reverb also have scads of algo's inside, as do the entire One Series line-up

That, my friedn is truly the biggest reason I love these pedals.

Plus the sounds I am finding in the SA ne Series are awesome right out of the box. I have a Boss GT-1 all-in-one board and the sounds are weak right out of the box... After I bought the thing and got it home it was a huge and major disappointment... and there is no bypass... you have to spoend butt time with the manual, learn how to do a preset, and make a user preset just to bypass the effects, otherwise the effects are always on... weeee... what dillweed engineer figured that one out... like... how about a double tap on something to get this weak sounding piece of meteal and plastic junk out of the way... (???) (You might have guessed, NOT a fan of anything Boss)...

Here's a scale model I've made using Microsoft Excel of the pedals on my pedalboard. Everything is powered from beneath by a single Strymon Zuma power supply. Also underneath is a GFI System Cabzeus mic/speaker emulator and stereo direct box (velcroed underneath) as well as a Neuro Hub device from Source Audio that allows all of their One Series pedals to be plugged in via MIDI (something I am brand new at, but is there). I'll list the pedals below...

View attachment 1001244

The list (row by row, not in order of signal path):

Pedaltrain Classic 2 Pedalboard

Top Row, L to R:
- Electro-Harmonix 720 Looper
- Source Audio Ventris Reverb
- Source Audio Nemesis Delay
- Source Audio Spectrum Intelligent Filter
- Source Audio Lunar Phaser

Middle Row, L to R:
- Source Audio Vertigo Tremolo
- Source Audio EQ2 Programmable EQ
- Source Audio L.A. Lady Overdrive
- Source Audio Atlas Compressor

Bottom Row, L to R:
- Disaster Area DPC-5 Gen 3 MIDI Controller
- Keeley Mini Katana Boost
- Electro-Harmonix Pitchfork "Polyphonic Pitch Shift Harmony Pedal" (LOL)
- Korg Pitchblack Mini Tuner

With this board I do Praise and Worship music for a Mega church in my area. Every week we have different songs and we are asked to play as close to the original recordings including all effects and such. We have 5 services Sat/Sun and somewhere around 18,000 people visit the church during the services. Here's what we do... Thursday the music director hands out our songs through an online system called "Planning Center". We have that weekend and all next week to practice and learn the songs. Before the first service, we all meet for the first time in a green room. There are multiple people who volunteer for every instrument. I rarely play with the same folks more than once. There is no weekly rehearsals. We are expected to know our parts when we meet. Every week it is a different guitarist, bass player, drummer, keyboardist and group of singers. There are around 25 electric guitar players who rotate in and out every week. A similar amount of other musicians as well.

We tune up, go through the songs one time, then the singers work some on their harmonies. We might play through the songs one more time in the green room. Then we go out on the stage and plug in to the main house system, and we do a sound check. There are no wedge montirs on stage, and their are no guitar or bass amps on stage. Everything is back stage (the bass goes direct) in an isolation cabinet that is miked. We use an Aviom digital monitoring in-ear for montiors, and everyone on stage has a 16-channel personal monitor so they can mix exactly what they want to hear in their ear buds. It's pretty cool. The idea is that this gives the sound engineer the best control over the stage volume... everything is going out front and each musician and singer hears themself in the ear buds.

A couple of the guys have the Line 6 Helix boards but after hearing them tell when they first got them that for ohne song it took about 3 hours to figure out the patches (plus butt time to read the manual)... I was sure that wasn't going to be me.

This next picture is an older one of the back of my pedalboard. In the upper right corner is the GFI System Cabzeus. It exits in stereo via 2 x balnaced XLR connectors. In fact all of the Source Audio pedals are stereo. Even the looper I have is stereo... I simply Velcro the Cabzeus to the bottom side of my board and the XLRs match up to the rails on the back of the Pedaltrain Classic 2 board.

The Strymon Zuma power supply is also Velcroed on, but Strymon's engineering and size leave a bit to be desired IMHO. As (IMHO) the Pedaltrain boards are some of the most common, it seems like thay would have learned from VoodooLab that the size of the PSU could match the space between the rails on the back of a Pedaltrian board. With the VoodooLab unit, it matches perfectly for the power supply. Velcro it under a Pedaltrain board, done. And it never comes off... But with the Zuma, I had to make a 3-5/8 x 5-5/8" piece of plyswood to Velcro underneath the Zuma to get the Zuma's power connector to the wall outlet to match up. Of course Strymon will sell you a $20 gadget that you screw in withy power tools, etc... but I use my ZAuma on more than one board, so just peeling off the Velcro is a lot easier than unscrewing, then re-screwing, then unscrewing, and re-screwing... Besies I am severaly mechanically challenged, and I don't bid so well with power tools or hand tools. Velcro is my best friend. And it DOES NOT come off. I've used Velcro on the underside of my pedalboards to hold extra doo-dads for a long long time and never had it come off. Best to use the Industrial Strength version

One thing that isn't in this picture is my SA Neuro Hub. It is currently Velcroed to the left of the Zuma, it has the connections to plug the smaller SA One Series (such as the size of the Atlas Compressor) into the MIDI controller.

Here's an older pic of the underside... the little squares are computer cable anchors I bought at a computer store, I stick them everywhere and use small zip tiues to keep my paych cables tidy underneath...

View attachment 1001255

I did have a Diamond CPR-1 Compressor, which I thought was the best compressor ever. I got into a major financial bind during 2020/Covid and a lot of my gear and guiutars got sold off. Now Diamond is out of business and their compressors are going for stupid prices on Reverb... Thus I thought since I love Source Audio, I'd give theiur brand new Atlas Compressor a whirl.

So here the Atlas sits, haven't even fully taken it out of the bix yet... and it was my muse to write all this pedal stuff and Source Audio love...

Now to go jam and make some music with it...

Weeeeeeee
Wow! That was a lot. Like reading a Line 6 manual. But you actually convinced me to run over to Roseville G.C. to try out a couple of their peddles. I bought a Line 6 Pod Go almost 2 years ago. At the time, I had 3 pedals. I now have 16 and the Pod Go is barely touched. S.A. should hire you. I'm an older guy like you, and I've had enough of needing to read a book to use something. If I have to read more than one or two pages, I don't want it. I get more out of Youtube videos than reading.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Wow! That was a lot. Like reading a Line 6 manual. But you actually convinced me to run over to Roseville G.C. to try out a couple of their peddles. I bought a Line 6 Pod Go almost 2 years ago. At the time, I had 3 pedals. I now have 16 and the Pod Go is barely touched. S.A. should hire you. I'm an older guy like you, and I've had enough of needing to read a book to use something. If I have to read more than one or two pages, I don't want it. I get more out of Youtube videos than reading.

There are easier ways to get compression done for less money and still great brands... I am a total Source Audio addict, so I want all of their One Series pedals.

Here's a couple nice chiclet-sized compressors worth mentioning... I haven't owned either, but both are from reputable folks, and less money than the $229.00 SA Atlas...

For $129.00 the Keeley Compressor Mini would surely do the trick... (and chiclet sized to save pedalboard space)

For $149.99 the Wampler Mini Ego Compressor has a lot of stuff crammed into its chiclet sized container...

I am currently using the Keeley Mini Katana Clean Boost, I got it at American Musical Supply when they were running a $20 off sale, so it was $79.99... regular price is $99.99... as far as the size it does the "git-R-dun" job of doing a nice clean boost.

The reason I like AMS is their 4 or 6 month payment plan... make the first payment, they ship the stuff to you free 2-day... then you make the rest of the payments 30 days apart... great way for a disabled guy like me to get cool stuff. Right now they are doing a "no credit check" campaign, so no social security number, just you debit card and the card address has to match your shipping address

zZounds also has this plan... but they are more picky with credit... right now AMS has a no credit check 4/6 month campaign going on... That's how I bought the SA Atlas Compressor... zZounds was running a no credit check campaign a few month ago and I scored a Hartke HD-75 bass amp for $299.00... made the first payment of 6, they sent me the amp 2 days later... I have 2 or 3 payments to go... but get to play it while I pay for it... and these p[lans are NOT a credit line... NOT Affirm, and not Snap Finance or Progressivle leasin... and no interest... just a small setup fee up front included in the first payment

Means... as much as I HATE Guitar Center and refuse to give them money even for a single guitar pick... they do make a great place to go in, test drive gear, then walk out and buy it online somewhere else... LOL

Here's my current little baby board (don't have the Atlas Compressor in the picture yet)...

- LovePedal Kanji 9 Overdrive (9 OD sounds in one pedl)(Motor City Guitar 25th Anniversary Edition red, only ten of these were made in this color)
- Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork Polyphonic Pitch Shift Pedal
- Keeley Mini Katana Clean Boost
- Electro-Harmonix 720 Stereo Looper
- OneSpot/Visual Sound PSU w/ a daisy chain cable to power everything

Looper Board 6-2-22.jpg

I bought the 2 x EHX pedals and the Keeley boost through American Musical Supply using their 4 payment deal... The boost goes before the looper pedal on this board... so if I record a rhythm guitar loop, I hit the boost so my ;lead solo goes over top of the rhythm volume...

Last edited:

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Not a lot said about the Atlas, but okay, I can look elsewhere. I do prefer honest to dog user reviews, such as those we tend to post here, over reviews by Premier Guitar, Guitar Player, etc.

I have the Vertigo and *really* like it. Enough to remove the Full Tone Supa Trem Jr from my board. No regrets! So I've been very interested in the Atlas, as I'm something of a compressor lover (compophile?). I have a Barber Tone Press I've used for years, a Mooer Yellow Comp and a Maxon optical compressor, as well as a transistor based comp I built. I've owned tons of other compressors. I'm always looking for any possible improvement.

The Atlas and Gemini chorus are on my list of SA One Series pedals to have. I'm still debating about selling my TC Flashback x4 and getting a Nemesis. Terrible name. Why would I want to buy a Nemisis? Khan!! I am really wanting the ZIO preamp, but that is just too freaking expensive. But definitely the Atlas and Gemini.

Maybe you can find some time to go into more detail about the Atlas once you've spent some time with it. Would like to hear about your other One Series pedals, too. I'm just looking for anything that tips the scale in favor of the Nemesis, as it would free up some room on my pedal board.

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
Another Source admirer here. I’ve got Vertigo trem and Spectrum filter and have Mercury flange on order. These pedals are nicely designed, have stereo ins/outs and lots of control and great sound all in a normal-size pedal. I’ve not found the phone app to be useful though, and the expression pedal is lost on me.