New Partscaster: Walnut - Zebrawood thinline(ish).

BCS1980-UK

TDPRI Member
I hope you are all well and safe.

I have been a reader of this forum for a while, but only now I feel that I have something meaningful to contribute (my bad, sorry). This will be my third guitar build. The first one is a Les Paul style which started with ‘lets upgrade the pickups of my Epiphone’ and became a full kit build. My second was a Telecaster style for my brother’s birthday. I have never been a big fan of Teles until I started researching for my brother’s guitar. After that I ‘had to’ build a Tele (ish) for me. This guitar will have some Tele DNA, but it will not be exactly traditional (sorry in advance, for the traditionalists).
I live in the UK, so I tried to find local suppliers where possible. Today I finally received the last components and did a dry assembling to test the fittings. This Sunday I will start preparing the body and neck. About the specs:

Body: 2-piece walnut (by guitarbuild.co.uk)
Neck: walnut with zebrawood fretboard – 25.5"scale, C-shape, 12” radius and 1 ¾” nut - (by guitarbuild.co.uk)
Pickups: Bare Knuckle Blackguard set
Bridge: Gotoh GTC201
Tuners: Fender locking tuners
Electronics: this time I was lazy and ordered a pre-wired 4-way circuit (by sixstringssupplies.co.uk)

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706 (1).jpg

For the finish, I will use tru-oil. I have ordered on amazon some hobby walnut sheets and have been testing different pore filling and application methods. I was concerned about the zebrawood pores on the fretboard but it is actually pretty smooth. It will only receive lemon oil.

IMG_0707.jpg

I am keen to hear your opinions and learn from your previous experiences and tips working with similar woods and configurations.

Cheers.

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
Finally, a headstock design that reminds of the original but looks good on its own! Love it! Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

BCS1980-UK

TDPRI Member
That's going to be a real good-looker !!!

I can see from your test panels that you already know Walnut is open-pored, but it's such a pretty wood that it looks good with either a gun-stock type finish or with a glassy-smooth finish

Yes, old wrench. I love walnut wood. And walnuts too.
For a satin finish I would not bother pore filling, but as the finish layers build on the pores became too pronounced for me (looking with an angle to the light).
I tried a commercial wood filler but it was too messy (or maybe I was too sloppy). On my tests I achieved best results sanding with the tru oil to create a sludge, letting it dry, sanding again and moving up (from 180 grit all the way to 800, two layers for each grit).

BCS1980-UK

TDPRI Member
Finally, a headstock design that reminds of the original but looks good on its own! Love it! Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.
Hi S00NERMAN,
All credits go to guitarbuild.co.uk
They have some headstock options (but no copyrighted ones). This was the one I liked most.

BCS1980-UK

TDPRI Member
Last edited:

BCS1980-UK

TDPRI Member
Today I did a full dry assembling to mark the alignment of the neck and drill everything that needed to be drilled. I had the first hiccup as the switch slot was a hair too small for the 4-way switch. I solved it by wrapping a toothpick with sandpaper and sanding the sides.

0C189AB8-C2C4-4911-8402-6F665552D261.jpeg

I am also finally satisfied with the finishing on my samples. I have achieved my desired glossiness:

E074B493-1B0A-4231-BDB9-94047F39D370.jpeg

8B3586FE-31F0-4C2B-BBF4-E974DB3CEB2C.jpeg

Now it’s time disassemble and start sanding.

Cheers

39martind18

Friend of Leo's