thegaijin

Tele-Holic
She’s done! Not set-up yet, but I’m stoked with how it looks.

Body is from MJT. “Closet clean” I believe they call it. The color is exactly how I described it to them. I was thinking they’d get close, but they nailed it. Very subtle relicing that won’t show up on the pics below. Just some checking.

The neck is from Warmoth. Had it quite a long time. Love it. Chunky. Sperzel locking tuners.

Bridge and saddles are from Callaham and pickups are from Ron Ellis (50b bridge and JL neck). Have it wired with a 4-way switch and thank the Lord for control plates so no-one can see the spaghetti explosion underneath.

Will let it sit overnight then get working on the set-up tomorrow.

284DDE8E-0016-41A5-8E7A-14D0E167CB58.jpeg
220ED1A9-0298-4C04-80D0-B7F2888373CA.jpeg

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
Fiddled around with pickup heights for hours yesterday until I got it dialed in. When I measured them they were 1/8 and 3/32. Go figure. :)

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's

Body is from MJT. “Closet clean” I believe they call it. The color is exactly how I described it to them. I was thinking they’d get close, but they nailed it. Very subtle relicing that won’t show up on the pics below. Just some checking.

The neck is from Warmoth. Had it quite a long time. Love it. Chunky. Sperzel locking tuners.

Bridge and saddles are from Callaham and pickups are from Ron Ellis (50b bridge and JL neck). Have it wired with a 4-way switch and thank the Lord for control plates so no-one can see the spaghetti explosion underneath.

Yes, indeed. The essential Tele.

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister

View attachment 1016458

I love it, looks fantastic! That's exactly the type of Telecaster that I love. And it actually looks a lot like the one I built myself using Squier parts and other bits (see below). Again, congrats on making such a nice looking Tele. Pure eye-candy there.

Uq5zHCR.jpeg

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
I’m just documenting this here so I remember, but maybe someone else will stumble upon it and find my trials and errors useful.

I’m hell bent on using heavier gauge strings on this new partscaster. I have a tele for thrashing, one for getting my cornbread on, and the purpose of this one was to be a bit more mellow and jazzy. The pickups are perfect for what I want, but I was having a heck of a time with string volume imbalances. Tried 11s, tried 12’s, tried a mixture of everything, but the G string and B string were so so much louder than the others.
No amount of pickup height adjustment helped and it was driving me crazy.

First I assumed the nut was bad and I was about to get it replaced when I thought I’d swap out the saddles and see what happened. I had been using a set of Callaham brass saddles along with a Callaham bridge, but when I inspected them, it wasn’t a pleasant sight. Pretty mashed up where the strings met the saddle and could quite possibly have been the cause of some loud overtones.

I replaced them with a set of Gotoh saddles and immediately noticed an improvement, but I wasn’t satisfied yet. A set of 10’s sounded better and a bit of EQ adjustment helped too, but that’s not what I was after.

So now she sports a Gotoh six saddle bridge, good intonation, a set of Flat wound 11s, and it all sounds much better. Even the wound G sounds good. I do prefer the looks of a traditional bridge, but this just works better for this guitar for some reason.

I’m still not sure why all this seems to have worked, but I’m done fiddling. Time to play.
EB2AF201-C78E-4588-9FD0-F8428212CB72.jpeg
80ED0897-4DB9-48EF-8799-9A99D42446D4.jpeg

Probably worth mentioning that the Callaham gear has been fantastic on other guitars and I’ve already set this bridge aside to use on my next project.

Last edited: