New Partscaster Day

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Just received the body from Stratosphere via Reverb yesterday.

Started prepping it today.
Installed Rutters Shallow Twisted Jack cup.
Routed the stepped levels out of the control cavity to make room for the Toneshaper electrics.
Routed the neck cavity to make room for a Humbucker if I decide to go that route in the future.

20220624_160323620_iOS.jpg 20220624_160416818_iOS.jpg

Next job is to install copper tape shielding and install the ground harness and the jack.

I bought the body as I made the mistake of noticing in my parts bins that I had all the hardware to put together another guitar and that I was just lacking a body and neck :lol::lol::lol:

Fender Highway One bridge
Rutters Straight Compensated Saddles
Fender Locking Tuners with vintage buttons
Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Pickups
Toneshaper 4-way electrics
Fender Control Plate and Knobs
Fender F neck plate, string ferrules, and strap buttons.
Warmoth matte black pick guard

The neck should be coming from Reverb next week.
Fender Standard Roasted Maple
21 narrow-tall frets
9.5" radius
C Shape

Looks kind of yellow in the picture as the background is yellowish.

nmxxzfhbvjtwqwze4g3b.jpg

Hope to have it all together, set up and playing by next weekend.

Last edited:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Just took an unexpected turn.
Noticed I have a Warmoth matte Black pick guard with a P90 route.
I have a Tele with a SD Phat Cat, but have been wanting to do one with a true P90.
The neck pickup route in this body is wide enough and now deep enough to handle a P90.

Just ordered a SD Vintage P90 for the neck position on Reverb.

Has anyone ever paired a Texas Special bridge with a P90 neck before?
What do you all think of the pairing?

Last edited:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well, I had routed the neck cavity to 1" deep to accommodate a possible future humbucker.
A bit too deep for a P90 that will be body mounted. SD suggests a 3/4" deep route for the Tele. I believe Stewmac suggests the same.
I cut and peeled back the shielding at the bottom of the route and am gluing in a 1/4" strip of pine.
Once it dries, I will re-shield the cavity and re-ground the neck cavity.
I will be using foam from Stewmac behind the P90 as a spring. Going with a black cover in a Black pickguard.

Still wondering how the SD Vintage P90 neck with Fender CS Texas Special bridge is going to sound, anyone???

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Neck arrived, really like the combo of 3 Color Burst and Roasted Maple 😊
The neck fits the pocket like it was made for it ;)
Just waiting on the Seymour Duncan Vintage P90 soapbar neck pickup.
Hoping to finish up assembly and setup over the weekend.

20220627_235825678_iOS.jpg

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The Fender Ultra string trees and the SD Vintage P90 arrived today.
Made some progress, but it is time to call it a night as it will take me until my bedtime to clean up the mess I made. :lol:
The P90 is mounted to the body, the Texas Special is mounted in the Highway One bridge and the bridge is mounted to the body.
Tomorrow is wiring day. The Toneshaper is plug-and-play so that should be a breeze.
After the wiring, just need to install the Fender Locking tuners, string it up, install the string tree and then do a full setup.

20220701_015038085_iOS.jpg

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I knew I was going to have to adjust the nut as replacement necks typically just have starter slots.
I have never seen a nut this bad on a Fender replacement neck. Someone was drunk :oops:

I am going to install a Tusk XL. Tusk XL is in the foreground in case it isn't obvious :)

20220701_164233569_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well, I spent the afternoon tinkering, playing, adjusting, and more tinkering. :D
I have to say, I just don't like the combo of the P90 neck and Texas Special bridge.
I gave it about 4 hours of constant playing and adjusting, but I just....meh :oops:

I pulled the P90 and the Texas Special and went through my parts bin to see what else I could come up with.
No luck there either so I started looking at my other guitars to see if I could do a pickup swap.
Pulled the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups from one of my Classic Vibes and put those in, instant joy.
I put a set of Texas Specials in the Classic Vibe and put it back together as well.

I will save the P90 for another project.
I am thinking about maybe picking up a Tele deluxe body and doing dual P90s, Warmoth can do a Tele Deluxe pickguard for P90s.

Before and After...

20220701_181010082_iOS.jpg 20220702_012519738_iOS.jpg

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have had great luck with my Partscasters, they have all come out great.
Not sure what it is, but this Partscaster seems to have something "extra" 🤷‍♂️
I absolutely love how it feels and sounds, I can't put it down 🥰

20220702_012519738_iOS.jpg

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well, I spent the afternoon tinkering, playing, adjusting, and more tinkering. :D
I have to say, I just don't like the combo of the P90 neck and Texas Special bridge.
I gave it about 4 hours of constant playing and adjusting, but I just....meh :oops:

I pulled the P90 and the Texas Special and went through my parts bin to see what else I could come up with.
No luck there either so I started looking at my other guitars to see if I could do a pickup swap.
Pulled the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups from one of my Classic Vibes and put those in, instant joy.
I put a set of Texas Specials in the Classic Vibe and put it back together as well.

I will save the P90 for another project.
I am thinking about maybe picking up a Tele deluxe body and doing dual P90s, Warmoth can do a Tele Deluxe pickguard for P90s.

Before and After...

View attachment 999981 View attachment 999980
Putting together a guitar to your own specs creates pride of ownership. And when you like what you're playing, you play better - - and happier. In my opinion, anyway.

The P90 in the neck is my favorite Tele configuration, although I do have one Tele with a brighter humbucker in that position, and it's nice. I like your overall product a lot.