New painting: Swords

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
You know, you have all these swords lying around. What are you gonna do but paint them?

20220728_094141.jpg

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I am interested in how long it takes you to paint these masterpieces? It seems you have runs where you are producing a painting a day!

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I am interested in how long it takes you to paint these masterpieces? It seems you have runs where you are producing a painting a day!
They take roughly 10 hours each. But that's spread over about a week.

I find I can't paint for more than about 90 minutes. I don't have much of an attention span for anything, frankly.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Curses, foiled again! I guess I'm on the fence about this painting, but I'll get the point eventually. Hemingway, your paintings are appreciated to the hilt! So, be engarde for those who would make sharp or cutting remarks. They're a little touche-d in the head!

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They're actually practice sabres.
what is the difference between a sabre, a rapier, and a foil?
I thought I knew this stuff once upon a time
I'd always thought of this type as a sabre:
1659017330559.png

Not trying to be whatever about it, I'm truly interested

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 1010098

It's about what you do with them. Sabres are slashy, foils are stabby, and I think rapiers are a bit of both.

Practice/training/competition sabres, like the ones in the painting, are not for killing people, so they don't have the huge blade. But they're still slightly curved, and the competition moves involve slashing rather than stabbing.

Easiest way to tell a competition sabre from a foil is the hand guard.

I studied stage fencing for a short time about 40 years ago. It's very different from competition fencing, but the practice weapons and basic principles are the same.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 1010098

This is a painting I did a few years ago of a sabre that's been in my family since Victorian times. One of my forebears bought it at a 19th century jumble sale. It's really just a dress sword.

The other object is a rhino foot. I have interesting ancestors . . .

20191230_121251 (2).jpg

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Curses, foiled again! I guess I'm on the fence about this painting, but I'll get the point eventually. Hemingway, your paintings are appreciated to the hilt! So, be engarde for those who would make sharp or cutting remarks. They're a little touche-d in the head!
I would say your humour suggests you're a man after my own heart. But not with a blade, I hope.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is a painting I did a few years ago of a sabre that's been in my family since Victorian times. One of my forebears bought it at a 19th century jumble sale. It's really just a dress sword.

The other object is a rhino foot. I have interesting ancestors . . .

View attachment 1010100
I used to have a book on taxidermy that included pictures of polar bear paws fashioned into ashtrays.

I found that heartbreaking when I first saw it way back in the mid 70s, well before most anyone worried about polar bears

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Nice.

I fenced for a while at university. I have a sneaking suspicion that behind my back I was known as fat target.

And, I just sort of passed over the second one too quickly and rewound back upwards, and was literally thinking ‘funny pot’ as I started reading the paragraph above. :)

Pax/
Dean

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

rhino foot. I have interesting ancestors

included pictures of polar bear paws fashioned into ashtrays.

My father was friends with this older couple with, I guess, colonially inclined ancestors. I can remember going to their house and being shown muskets, swords / sabres, medals, pith helmets and so on. They had brass artillery shells as umbrella stands, and stuff like that.

Also, I have this patchy memory from primary school of s classmate who brought an elephant’s foot (or, rhino?) to show and tell. His grandfather had shot the creature while on safari. My classmate had carried it all the way to school, and watching him struggling with it as he laboured along before the bell went was quite comedic. Until it tuned out he was basically carrying tragedy.

Pax/
Dean