New painting: Comfort zone - and other paintings of the sofa that ruined my life

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
So here's my new painting of my long-suffering son, based on a photo from many years ago. I mean, who doesn't like hiding under cushions, right?

But I really don't know if I can face painting that Chesterfield ever again. Scroll down through some past pictures and you'll see what I mean . . .

Comfort zone
20220420_090121.jpg

Tough guy . . .
20220405_121544.jpg

Boy reading a Ladybird book
20220202_102054.jpg

Boy with two books
20210801_100606.jpg

Boy reading #2
20210204_103333 (2).jpg

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Another GREAT painting
In the others your son looks “pensive” to me.
In the newest one his expression looks more “bugger off” to me.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
So here's my new painting of my long-suffering son, based on a photo from many years ago. I mean, who doesn't like hiding under cushions, right?

But I really don't know if I can face painting that Chesterfield ever again. Scroll down through some past pictures and you'll see what I mean . . .

Comfort zone
View attachment 975520

Tough guy . . .
View attachment 975521

Boy reading a Ladybird book
View attachment 975522

Boy with two books
View attachment 975523

Boy reading #2
View attachment 975524
Your painting style is superb. Understated colors, a pastelish undersaturation of colors that draws attention to the subject. Reminiscent of watercolors in that way. I have to reassess my oversaturated style. Thanks for posting these.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Something about the way you depict light and texture on surfaces makes me think of the Andrew Wyeth paintings I’ve seen. Don’t know how to describe it but it pulls me in. Your son’s poses and activities are well-captured and look real, natural and relatable to things my son would do on our own couch.

The couch itself is hard to tear my eyes from; in “comfort zone” the color and sharp detail are almost photographic, and the way you showed the color and light almost makes it like one of those color-shift/flip-flop paint jobs you see on custom cars.

Impressive work!

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Another GREAT painting
In the others your son looks “pensive” to me.
In the newest one his expression looks more “bugger off” to me.
Ha! It was just a funny little smirk. I knew I'd never really catch that expression on such a small scale, but I got close enough, I hope.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
You paint with great depth and dimension, IMO.
Love the detail and color, even in the wall and shadows, and the couch itself.
And your son is a great subject - capturing his youth, curiosity...
Thanks. I sometimes wonder if I'm doing anything right, so I appreciate the feedback.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Your painting style is superb. Understated colors, a pastelish undersaturation of colors that draws attention to the subject. Reminiscent of watercolors in that way. I have to reassess my oversaturated style. Thanks for posting these.
Thanks. I'd never thought of my colours as undersaturated, but I see what you mean. And yes, I suppose there is a pastelish element.

Although it's probably at least a little to do with how the photos of the paintings turn out. I don't really have the facilities to get really great photos. I also don't like to use blacks and greys, so I suppose that adds to the effects you've described.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Something about the way you depict light and texture on surfaces makes me think of the Andrew Wyeth paintings I’ve seen. Don’t know how to describe it but it pulls me in. Your son’s poses and activities are well-captured and look real, natural and relatable to things my son would do on our own couch.

The couch itself is hard to tear my eyes from; in “comfort zone” the color and sharp detail are almost photographic, and the way you showed the color and light almost makes it like one of those color-shift/flip-flop paint jobs you see on custom cars.

Impressive work!
Thanks, that's quite a compliment.