1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New P-Up Underwhelming, trying to troubleshoot

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Samson89, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

Hey all! New to this site but I’m so glad (and relived) there’s an active community of folks to help one another.
    (if there’s another thread or this is in the wrong place, sorry!)

With the slowdown since March, I decided to start tinkering on an old Lyon by Washbrn S style I bought about 15 years ago. I have some other guitars I use and this one has just been collecting dust, so why not give myself a canvas I don’t mind making mistakes on.

After doing some other work, I turned to the electronics and bought a SD hot rails (used) for the bridge to avoid cutting the pick guard. Soldered it in, plugged it up, and it had a fraction the output I was expecting. The two ancient MiC Singles in the neck and middle were much louder, but when I switched to the bridge it just lost it. Connected the hot rails to my multimeter (bl & gr) and I’m getting about 7.4k when I should be getting about 15-16k if I remember/understood correctly.

I’ve been scouring the net to find if I’m missing something, if I did something wrong, and I’m trying hard not to jump to the conclusion that the pup is busted.

So, am I missing something? Are there other tests I should do? I was reading somewhere that the selector could be the culprit, but I keep going back to wondering if the pup is the weak link. Thoughts?

thanks for your help!

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Sounds like only one coil is hooked up. What color wires go where?

3. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

I’m thinking the same thing but don’t know how to better troubleshoot.
    According to the wiring diagram, r&w soldered together, green & bare to the pot, black to the switch.

4. Digital Larry

It sounds right. Measure resistance Green to Red and White to Black. I was recently dealing with an SD humbucker that seems shorted internally somehow, though it wasn't always that way.

5. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Welcome!

6. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

If the white & red are connected (they'd have to be if you're measuring green to black) then it sure looks like one coil is shorted, either in the pickup or your hookup.
    Disconnect every wire and measure again.

7. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

Black to white is 7.____K
    Green to Red doesn’t give me a reading,..

I assume a break somewhere In the circuit? Is that the right diagnosis? If so, does that mean the pup is done?

8. Digital Larry

Sure seems like something is wrong, although you were getting 7.5K black to green, I don't quite understand that unless the bare wire is shorted to something. Can you check the bare wire against the other 4? As to whether it can be fixed, that I don't know.

9. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

I’m just as confounded. Wired according to the diagram with white and red soldered together, I get the “half sound” and don’t get a reading, but I swear I was getting one before between black and green. Perhaps I’m just misremembering from a late night session.

otherwise I’m not getting anything else. No other combination beyond black to white do I get a resistance reading.

10. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

i did the disconnect and renew sure. Still nothing from the second coil. I think the lower/2nd coil is bad.

I know some places will fix pups but is it even worth it? Can’t imagine it’d be cheap.

11. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

Thanks! Been needing a place to connect, and lots of suggestions pointed to tdpri!

12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would highly recommend communicating with our won, @Rob DiStefano about pickups. He winds excellent pickups at a reasonable price. Check out his website, www.frettech.com for his complete line of Cavalier pickups. A great product produced by a great fellow.

Mr. Neutron and Samson89 like this.
  13. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I looked into getting one coil of my "vintage" Super Distortion rewound and it's cheaper just to get another used pickup.

14. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

A Big "+1" on that!! Rob does really good work!!

I have 2 bridge pickups from Rob, and a neck pickup. The pickups sound much better than I can play, and are priced reasonably.

Samson89 likes this.
  15. Samson89

Samson89 TDPRI Member

maybe I’ll buy some. The bridge pickup was the first to go but intended on switching out the middle and neck as well.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You could order just a single pickup from Rob. If I were you I would message him and tell him what you are looking for and what kind of music you play. I bet he can fix you right up.

Samson89 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.