New OT in my 5F1

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by IggyT, Jan 14, 2020.

1. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Hello good people:
    I am overhauling my 5F1 by installing a larger 12 inch speaker . I had an alnico eminence 8 ohm lying around. The cabinet I had built was already "deluxe" size so I only had to make a new baffle.
    I then ordered a new OT because the weber I had was spec'd for 3.2 ohms.
    I got the Hammond 1760C (image attached) and there are choices....

My questions are these:
    1) I plan to use the 8000 ohm primary . The 5 K seems too low
    2) the secondary side : I plan on sending the 3.2 ohm line back into the 22k feedback loop and then sending the 8 ohm line to the speaker output (Ill just wrap off the 16 ohm line)
    Does this seem like the correct way ??
    thanks!
    Iggy

Attached Files:

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Yes on the 8K primary. The NFB question is unclear to me, I'm afraid.

3. drneilmb

drneilmb TDPRI Member

I don't think that this is what you want. The signal that was going through the NFB resistor is developed across the secondary as it works into a speaker load. If you aren't using a speaker on the 3.2 ohm winding, then the only load on that winding will be the negative feedback path which will probably not provide the load that you need to make the NFB signal level that you had before.

I'd suggest taking the NFB signal off of the 8 ohm winding that you are using and fiddling the value of the NFB resistor if you find that it doesn't perform as you expect.

I'm only speaking hypothetically, so mostly I'd suggest that you try things and see what works. :)

-Neil

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

You are correct, sir. The stock NFB uses the 4 ohm (3.2) tap with the 22K resistor, and you can use any appropriate tap for your speaker load. There are many amps that use 8 ohm loads with the NFB connected to the 16 ohm tap, so you are not required to use the same tap as the speaker load or else you would be connected to the wrong tap every time you use a different load...(You can use any NFB tap as long as you correct the NFB resistor, but that's not what you asked)
    However...
    The Classic Tone 40-18110 5F1 output transformer shows 17K for primary impedance. Big surprise, a difference in opinion. You can try your 8 ohm load on the 4 ohm tap (16K reflected) to see if you like it. Or double the 5K primary the same way to 10K and see what you like. If your B+ is on the low side (350-ish) then 8K is better math; If your B+ is a little higher (380-ish) the 10K is better math. YMMV.

dan40 and Wally like this.
  5. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Thanks: things are coming into focus: If I connect the 2ndry 8 ohm tap to the speaker/load and then the 2ndry 3.2/4 ohm tap to the NFB resistor (currently 22K based on the original spec)... I assumed that I could keep the 22k value. if not...how do I calculate/correct that component value??

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For the sound of the original use the OT tap that is the same as original impedance.

7. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

even though I have installed an 8 ohm speaker ??

8. FenderLover

Yup.

There's a factor of SQRT(2). If you double the NFB tap (4 to 8) you reduce the NFB resistor (22K) by 1/SQRT(2) = 15K.

Wally and IggyT like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's not a big deal, but has more to do with what resistors etc are in the NFB circuit. If you were 3.2 ohms and the circuit was designed with NFB you like for that ohms, then solder the NFB wire to the 3.2 or 4 ohm tap to be closest to original. But NFB is a variable thing, people even adjust how much NFB, so no big deal.

10. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

So I am trying to turn this info into a simple connect the dots (wires) step and it looks like this: I use the 8 ohm tap to the jack AND into the NFB circuit WITH a 15 K resistor

11. FenderLover

That'll work. I would probably try different values just for fun and maybe even learn something. It's your amp, you could discover something by accident and be famous!

Wally likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tangent....since drneilmb brought the subject up. There are some rare OTs that do have separate secondary windings for each tap, but they are..again...rare. Most of these multi tap OTs have taps coming off of different points on one secondary winding to accomplish the separate impedance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    drneilmb and dan40 like this.
  13. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

As the fellas mentioned above, many amps tap the nfb voltage from one tap while running the speaker from one of the others. Marshall has done this for years...nfb connected to 8 ohm but still have the option of using a 4, 8 or 16 ohm cab at the same time.

To keep it simple, do as FenderLover said above and connect nfb to the 4 ohm winding and use the 8 ohm winding for your speaker. This way you can leave the stock value nfb resistor in place. You could be adventurous though and add a pot for variable nfb. Very fun on a Champ!

Wally likes this.
  14. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Thanks to all for the input !! I will get to the work probably tonight and report back :)

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.