New older guitar day early CV

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Now I have been known to say that I don't really want to purchase off shore guitars, I did say that. But I have owned a few over the years. I have found them to be a tad lacking in comparison, still do. Nonetheless, I bought this one from a friend yesterday, an early issue CRAFTED IN CHINA - CV - 3 color SB with binding. Even me, I always liked these when they hit the markets which was perhaps 10 years ago, plus or minus. I did purchase the China built CV 50's which was a white/cream colored guitar with maple cap. It was used on MF for I think $249. I liked it enough but gave it to a friend.

This one , the 3 color SB , I always had an eye for, and seeing my daughter took my 1986-MIJ- 62 RI and ran off with it ( to Atlanta) when I ran across this I didn't hesitate. Its a nice guitar and of course plays well like many here have previously stated. I had opportunity to buy one NEW when they hit the market for $349 , or maybe $379, but never did.

Apparently these early issue Squire CIC -CV's are not all that common on the market as the newer issues are CII (Indonesia). Who knows if there is even a difference. I am replacing the bridge assy with a Wilkerson ( $13 Amazon) as the previous owner did some modifications to the stock plate.

The guitar is in mint condition as the previous/original owner never played it. I worked with him for well over 6 or 7 years and he may have brought it out once or twice. So it was asleep in a case for most of its life.

I have an upcoming gig this weekend so the odds are I will bring this out and give it a workout. I hope I don't ding it !

And my Brent Mason Tele , my 08 with the FL jr Bender and my 2 -52RIs are looking at me sayin... "Are you kidding me, your taking that thing to the gig "? "uhhh, yeah , keep quite "

IMG_0853.JPG

Last edited:

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Congrats! I picked up a 2010 CVC that I have parted out but the body is now part of an Andy Summers tribute and the neck is on a partscaster I am assembling for my son (the date stamp on the neck is 2 days before he was born).

I also have a recent CV50's and noticed these differences:

MIC CVC

Shielded Cavity
Full-sized Pots
Body-Mounted Neck Pickup
Press-fit Knobs
Really Thin Neck

MII 50's

Unshielded Cavity
Dime-sized Pots
Pickguard-Mounted Neck Pickup
Set-Screw Knobs
Thin But Comfortable Neck

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
This one has a white 3 ply guard , I know it came with the "greenish tint " guard but I would have replaced that anyway. I never understood even back then why the guard had a greenish tint on a 3 color sunburst body. Its probably just me . By the way , according to the "so called numbers" its a 2011 guitar which is about right as my friend bought it new 10 or so years ago.

So now that I have one of these and its in my hands, how does it compare to my other guitars overall ? My opinion of course.

Holding it, balance and feel, I can tell the difference in a NY minute compared to my 52RIs. ( 88 and 89) both of those feel pretty much exactly the same. The CV , and I can't explain it, feels nothing like them. Maybe it's that the 52's feel "solid/complete" , balanced in totality and the CV feels like someone is trying to make it feel solid and complete in totality but doesn't. It feels HOLLOW even though I know its not. Maybe thats why I didn't buy one new back in 2010 or so. I did buy the 50's CV a while later , kept it for a while then gave it away. Then again I have to keep in mind that the CV was an under $400 guitar new and the 52's are, well, over $400 new ! Its not too heavy or too lite, it just feels unbalanced. I would guess this guitar weighs in the +/- 8 lbs area. But, this is just my opinion.

Many times we have read that the necks on these CV'S are exceptional, well, this one is very nice no doubt. Is it better than my other guitars. ? NO. Does it feel similar ? Sure, YES. Can I play this on a 2, 3 or 4 hr gig and not complain ? LOL - YES

If I compare the 52's to the USA 08 and the new Brent Mason guitar, they are all competing for the #1 seed. They are each very similar , feel and balance. Any one of them can be #1 .

That being said, I like this CV a lot and I'm glad I have it...for now ! LOL

Last edited:

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
This one has a white 3 ply guard , I know it came with the "greenish tint " guard but I would have replaced that anyway. I never understood even back then why the guard had a greenish tint on a 3 color sunburst body. Its probably just me . By the way , according to the "so called numbers" its a 2011 guitar which is about right as my friend bought it new 10 or so years ago.

So now that I have one of these and its in my hands, how does it compare to my other guitars overall ? My opinion of course.

Holding it, balance and feel, I can tell the difference in a NY minute compared to my 52RIs. ( 88 and 89) both of those feel pretty much exactly the same. The CV , and I can't explain it, feels nothing like them. Maybe it's that the 52's feel "solid/complete" , balanced in totality and the CV feels like someone is trying to make it feel solid and complete in totality but doesn't. It almost feels HOLLOW. Maybe thats why I didn't buy one new back in 2010 or so. I did buy the 50's CV a while later , kept it for a while then gave it away. Then again I have to keep in mind that the CV was an under $400 guitar new and the 52's are, well, over $400 new !

If I compare the 52's to the USA 08 and the new Brent Mason guitar, they are all competing for the #1 seed. They are each very similar , feel and balance. Any one of them can be #1 .

That being said, I like the CV a lot and I'm glad I have it...for now ! LOL
I had a classic vibe thinline, the mahogany body style thinline. It was one of the early releases and had a flame maple neck and looked really good, I think I only paid $275 for it used, and it sounded good too. But as time wore on, I thought the neck was just kind of small and it seemed a little like a toy guitar to me, and I got my Esquire that I love so much, so I moved it on down the road.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
We have several circa 2009 Classic Vibes in the house.
My daughter has a CVC60s Tele that she loves.
It has a Maple neck as I had a BSB CV50 and we swapped necks.
She wanted Maple and I wanted Rosewood :)

IMG_3599.JPG WP_20140316_11_34_42_Pro.jpg WP_20140316_11_34_59_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Bloozestringer

TDPRI Member
I have a 2010 MIC CV tele that I picked up used a couple years ago. Guy had received it for payment for some handyman work from someone who had bought it new for their son. It had been sitting in a case in closet for 10 years. Not even a scratch on the pickguard. It is the one I pick up most often over all my other more expensive ones. It's stock and sounds great, plays great, and the neck is awesome on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0549w.jpg
    IMG_0549w.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 23

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
So another thing that needed attention . The previous owner added a 2nd Strap button and used two small screws to mount his Hipshot at the rear strap button. Not really a big deal for a lo cost instrument , which otherwise is a 10 on the scale. I drilled out 3 small holes and prepared 3 dowel inserts for the holes. The hole "edges" are touched up with some gloss black and gloss clear coat. The dowel ends are gloss black with gloss clear coat. A slight dot of clear gloss was added once the dowels were inserted. perfect ? No- ok-? yep

IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG

Last edited:

warchol

Tele-Meister
Bought a "Crafted in China" setneck Squire Tele Thinline a few years back. At the time, the clerk said it was "great for the money" at $350. He was right...
After replacing the cast saddles with Callaham stamped steel and installing Fralin P92 neck and TV Jones bridge pickups, it is now a favorite. Possibly the best sounding guitar for jazz that I own (and I've owned dozens).
This in spite of having what appears to be a masonite top.
Go figure...
YMMV