New Old Amp Day! Friday the 13th! 1986 Marshall Artist 4203

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Delta Blues, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

Thanks. I found a site that claims its Accutronics 4DB3C1D. Revisit makes a comparable tank, but I'm going to sit on it for a while, see how I like the amp first. I don't use a lot of reverb, even on my Fender, but I do like just a bit to liven things up a bit. We'll see -- thanks again!

2. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

The site you found is correct

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

I ended up just putting a Holy Grail nano in the effects loop and it does the trick. It's not an amp that sounds great with soaking wet reverb, but it adds just enough texture to liven things up a bit.

A quick question -- When I'm looking at the back panel of the amp, all the way to the right under the serial number where it says "CODE", there's a small metal toggle switch. I have no idea why's it's there, and when I've looked at other photos of the amp, I don't see it -- in fact, I see red & black wires entering the chassis in that area on other photos, which I assume are the in/out for the reverb tank, which my amp is missing. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

It's a mod. The switch most likely removes C13 from the circuit for better tone. Most people like myself just cut the cap. The switch gives you the option to change it back to stock.

5. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

I'll have to open it up and take a look. I already cracked her open and clipped C13 on my own -- didn't notice anything "extra" there that would've hinted at a bypass mod for C13. I'll email the last owner, too.

6. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

Finally remembered to look into that toggle switch -- it's a channel switcher! It was fun to mess around with the boost channel a bit and dial in some real Marshall crunch, but I'm pretty happy using the clean channel along with a complement of good dirt boxes. The Hotcake sounds amazing with this amp. Still, the Marshall boost channel could come in handy for recording a solo or two in the future. We'll see.

I still want to put a 12AT7 in the PI position to see what I get, but I've been really pleased with the stock 12AX7 so far.

Hate to admit this because it makes me look like an IDIOT, but I've also had occassion to be directly impressed with the durability of the components. At a gig last week I had everything all plugged in, guitar through pedalboard with guitar volume on 10, plugged into amp at stage levels and I wasn't getting any sound. Like an idiot, I strummed away while I fiddled with things and it took me several minutes to realize the speaker had come disconnected at the terminals, so there was no load present. That's a recipe for disaster, but this little amp shrugged it off and hasn't showed any signs of damage. Feel like I lucked out on that one!

7. junkman510

junkman510 TDPRI Member

I found a Craigslist deal of the century for my 3203 head and matching
    1966B 2x12 cab... $275 for both in excellent condition! I've been playing for 40 years and this is my first closed back cab... goosebumps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.