New nut to fix buzzing open high E string?

shnaggletooth

TDPRI Member
My 2000 Squier Affinity Tele was recently rescued from storage. Action is good on all strings, but open high E has the usual sitar-like buzzing with a 10. Just installed a 9, but still buzzing. Put a small piece of paper over the high E nut slot, which reduced the buzz slightly, but not entirely (and doesn't look good).

Will installing a brand-new nut usually fix this problem? Pro job required, or just pry the old one out and tap a new one in?

Unrelated question: what pickups were used for the 2000 Affinity Teles? If the body/neck/fretboard specs are identical to Fender Player, and I install whatever pickups the Fender Player use, do I then get a fair approximation to a Fender Player? 😶‍🌫️

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
-I would fret the string at the third fret, then check it's clearance above fret 1. (does it still have a bit of gap?)
If it does, you just need to reshape the slot making sure the string touches firm where it exits the nut slot on the fretboard side. Unfortunately you need a really thin file to do this.
-The other possibility is: Does it have a string tree? many will buzz without one.
NutSlot.jpg

Last edited:

pypa

Tele-Holic
Are you using a string tree? The high e break might be a little too shallow. If the nut is preslotted, I'd be inclined to look at the break before altering the nut.

shnaggletooth

TDPRI Member
Buzzing when open, or when fretted? Or both?
Both, just more noticeable when open.

Are you using a string tree? The high e break might be a little too shallow. If the nut is preslotted, I'd be inclined to look at the break before altering the nut.
Yes, it does have a string tree. Should I adjust the tree? The B string doesn't have any buzzing, though.

-I would fret the string at the third fret, then check it's clearance above fret 1. (does it still have a bit of gap?)
If it does, you just need to reshape the slot making sure the string touches firm where it exits the nut slot on the fretboard side. Unfortunately you need a really thin file to do this.
-The other possibility is: Does it have a string tree? many will buzz without one.
View attachment 994656

Unfortunately, I don't have any of those special nut files. I was trying out some other Tele's at Guitar Center the other day, and a couple of them had the same high-E sitar buzz problem. Of course, guitar shops never have their merchandise set-up. What's with Tele's and the high-E problem?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
You could 'shoot it with a parts cannon' to see if that fixes the issue, but the best advice I can offer is to evaluate the guitar for the root cause of the buzz. It may not even be anywhere near the nut.

Some noises (buzzes, rattles, etc.) can appear to be coming from one area but the source can be at the other end of the guitar. Here's a quick primer on tracking down noises on an electric guitar.

How-To-Locate-Source-of-Buzzing.jpg

Also check all hardware to make sure it's tight and not rattling: output jack, strap buttons, etc. Additionally, knock on the back of the neck with a knuckle and listen for a rattling truss rod.