New neck that doesn't require fret level?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TX_Slinger, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Fender Classic 50s Lacquer replacement neck a few years ago and am constantly impressed that there are no issues with dead notes from high or low frets at all out of box. The nut had to be fine tuned, but that's it. It's a joy to play.

KelvinS1965 and boris bubbanov like this.
  2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Even new necks that you string up and it seems pretty level...

I found leaving it on the neck under string tension can bring out its flaws for sure after a while.
    sure you'll have that rare neck that's perfect.

I read somewhere that Crook Guitars, once he gets the guitar finished and strung up, he leaves it that way for several days and then does a fret level and crown.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

CEG Hardtail. eBay and online seller.

4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Agreed!

Guess I've been lucky, I've never had my frets re-leveled (on a new neck) and my guitars play fine. I've been playing for almost 50 years and have owned a LOT of guitars.

Having frets leveled after a re-fret or a level & crown on old worn frets is a maintenance issue.

What I'm referring to is a new, un-played neck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    televillian likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Buy local, meaning here at TDPRI.

I bought a nice Allparts TRO-V neck from member KokoTele.

He did a fret level, crown, rolled the edges and made a nice bone nut.

I also purchased vintage Kluson style tuners.

After looking at Warmoth, the price wasn't much different with all the work he did.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We're all different and what we demand, in the way of level, crowned frets varies from player to player.

All I knew for a while was, that junky new Harmony I got in the 1960s seemed OK but just got worse and worse, the more I practiced and did shows.

And after that I found most anything so much better I tended not to complain. And then, a fret level was an attempt to try to tease another 6 months or more out of a tired set of frets, that I learned about. The more you know about what's out there, sometimes the more demanding you get. I've seen remarkably good players get the job done on a worn out neck I rejected and I've seen precious guys who could hardly play, return again and again to the luthier they discovered to have frets releveled or replaced and I really don't know what that was for.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    televillian likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1

Rob DiStefano has also gotten a large amount of compliments, for doing much the same and frankly, at least at one time Lindy Fralin would take a basic Allparts TMO-FAT and recarve it some and work the frets and etc.

I will say, no Warmoth neck I ever received was bad to play, out of the packing. Some better than others and I found Tommy Rosamond's neck an additional step above that. By comparison, I guess you could play an Allparts neck out of the packing (with just tuners and a nut) but not many people would enjoy the experience. But they "clean up" very nicely - set aside some real time to complete this. On each of these sources, I'm talking about necks with maybe a spritz of sealer or maybe no, and certainly not "finished" since I like to reshape 'em and etc.

8. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

When I bring a new guitar to my tech, he checks for any high frets. If there are one or two. he will fix those as part of a regular $50 setup. If the are a bunch of bad ones, that's gonna run about $125 or $150 maybe for the level, crown, and fret ends. So maybe plek is worth it in some cases.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After I posted I remembered I forgot to mention Rob.

I'm bad.:oops:

10. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

guys that can play, play. others look for magic

KelvinS1965 and teleplayr like this.
  11. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

frets -USACG used to be great but not sure how they do these days

dont bother with pleck - it is a machine that requires a skilled operator to do the finishing off of the frets after the machine has chewed them all down.
    Leveling frets on a new neck is about 5 minutes work and half that is getting the tools out - thats pretty much all that machine can do
    It is the crowning and the putting of soft edges on fret ends and getting that nice edge roll on the fingerboard that is the art of the job
    no machine can do that properly by numbers

Best bang for buck is allparts / hosco
    those necks are a blank canvas and you can turn them into art with minimum work
    I dont like warmoth overpriced fro what they are - I think it may have been the skinny profiles or the cut -
    Dont get me wrong the work is neat but somehow I never go for one.
    Bodies at warmoth are great

12. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I agree that you're expecting too much unless you want to pay more. This is the sort of thing you get (I hope) when you pay more for a custom shop guitar. Most regular production necks will have the fretboard leveled, frets pressed in, and will be "close enough".
    Think of this: A fret level is a couple/few hours of work I'd say when all is said and done, so how much does a skilled person get an hour? 20 bucks an hour would be cheap for such a person's time.

13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Similar story here; I bought a used 6 month old Classic 50s Lacquer Tele and it plays beautifully, though I don't know 100% if it has been levelled, but I doubt it; the nut needed a little work anyway. I also bought a MIM 'Fat 51 U' neck for my partscaster Esquire and apart from needing to cut the nut slots, it also plays beautifully. I was expecting to take it for a L&C once I'd built it, but there really is no need.

It's not like I don't know how a guitar plays after a good level and crown job either: My Strat was re-fretted and L&C, then the same guy did a L&C on my Les Paul Tribute. I believe my SG Standard and Les Paul Juniors may have been pleked too.

Bellacaster likes this.
  14. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

my Fender Tele neck was perfect right away...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.